Is my transmission fried? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my transmission fried?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
I am moving across country, and just finished a 3,000 mile drive in my explorer to get here.

The drive was basically fine the whole way until I started getting into steep mountain roads.

A couple of times I noticed that while in cruise control at ~70mph the engine started revving up to 5000rpms on a steep uphill climbs. So I tapped the breaks and eased off.

Then on the way down a 7% grade, I put it into 3rd gear rather than riding the breaks, and this seemed to work just fine.

I parked the car, got a hotel room, and then backed the vehicle up into another spot. The only indication that something was wrong, I heard a slight snapping sound while backing up that could have almost been twigs or something on the ground.

This morning I pulled the car out of the hotel and head out on my way to the new home. I barely made it up the first hill before the rpms started flying up into the 5000rpm range.

I had lost all power at this point. I can't hear or fee the vehicle shifting in any gears R/ N/ D/ 3/ 2/ 1 I get no feedback or movement switching through any of these gears.

Anyone? Is this a pretty definitive transmission failure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It definitely sounds that way, you aren't even able to manually shift 1-2-3?

She gone.

Pay for a rebuild, or junk it? What's your gut say? I put a used engine in it last year. Im just seeing this thing requiring a major part replacement at regular intervals, wondering if I should stick it out or start over.

I would say it depends how old it is and what all has been replaced on it thus far and what is new. How's the frame?

I would say it depends how old it is and what all has been replaced on it thus far and what is new. How's the frame?

Frame is rusty but solid. I've done a ton of odds and ends work to it - filters, sensors, injectors, coils, rear wheel bearings, all calipers/ rotors/ pads, front inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links & bar bushings.

I am moving across country, and just finished a 3,000 mile drive in my explorer to get here.

The drive was basically fine the whole way until I started getting into steep mountain roads.

A couple of times I noticed that while in cruise control at ~70mph the engine started revving up to 5000rpms on a steep uphill climbs. So I tapped the breaks and eased off.

Then on the way down a 7% grade, I put it into 3rd gear rather than riding the breaks, and this seemed to work just fine.

I parked the car, got a hotel room, and then backed the vehicle up into another spot. The only indication that something was wrong, I heard a slight snapping sound while backing up that could have almost been twigs or something on the ground.

This morning I pulled the car out of the hotel and head out on my way to the new home. I barely made it up the first hill before the rpms started flying up into the 5000rpm range.

I had lost all power at this point. I can't hear or fee the vehicle shifting in any gears R/ N/ D/ 3/ 2/ 1 I get no feedback or movement switching through any of these gears.

Anyone? Is this a pretty definitive transmission failure?

We need codes. Then, make decisions. May be nothing more than a failed pressure control solenoid. imp

We need codes. Then, make decisions. May be nothing more than a failed pressure control solenoid. imp

Codes? How do I pull those? The dash is not lit up at all. I have an obd2 wifi dongle, with a basic code reader on my phone, but I've also got forscan on my laptop.

But I though there had to be an mil to get codes.

I checked the codes and the only thing is a pending P0420, which has been popping up constantly, but strangely didn't pop at all during the 3,000 mile cross-country trip. That's another subject.

But according to your comment here (The dreaded 5R55S (I think)):

@Roadie-01

If it is the original transmission, it is the 5R55S. No others used in 2004. If no codes are shown, then, yes, some sort of mechanical/hydraulic failure has occurred. imp

I am guessing the absence of transmission codes means that I have some type of serious mechanical failure. Do you have any recomendations before I go ahead and assume it's time for a re-manufactured replacement?

Does it move at all?

Next thing I would look at is the condition of the transmission fluid.

Does it look bright red like new or a really dull red and burnt.

I'm the curious type so I would drop the pan to see whats inside.

A long time ago when my Mustang transmission blew out I had about 2 lbs of "Metal French Fries" inside the pan.

That made the decision to install a T-5 so much easier....

Does it move at all?

Next thing I would look at is the condition of the transmission fluid.

Does it look bright red like new or a really dull red and burnt.

I'm the curious type so I would drop the pan to see whats inside.

A long time ago when my Mustang transmission blew out I had about 2 lbs of "Metal French Fries" inside the pan.

That made the decision to install a T-5 so much easier....

No gears engage. It'll roll in neutral, but that's it. I guess I can pull the plug and check the fluid, and drop the pan easy enough.

You could always get a transmission for a local yard but you never know what you will get.

Any local transmission shops where you are?

You can always research their reviews on Google.

You could always get a transmission for a local yard but you never know what you will get.

Any local transmission shops where you are?

You can always research their reviews on Google.

If I'm swapping the trans I want a full rebuild or a reman. I went the LKQ route when I swapped my engine, and wish I had just got a reman. The amount I spent getting the engine running right, I could've paid for a reman and still saved a grand. If I ever have the money I'll definitely swap in a remanned engine in the future. But one thing at a time.

If no gears engage in the old girl, and I have no codes, is the consensus that I've had catastrophic failure? Or could it still be something simple? 166k on the truck. Fluid was flushed 5k ago.

Sorry brother...

From what you described I think it's time to stick a fork in the transmission.

It's done...

When my Mustang Transmission blew out years ago I was running the "crap" out of it, trying to get back from a job.

(100 Plus from Montgomery, AL down I-65).

It started doing the same thing you described RPM going nuts. I eased off knowing I was fixing to screw up.

When I stopped in Mobile, AL for gas it blew out with a loud BANG and locked into a solid shaft.

**** or tires, they are going to give you trouble.....

I would just get a rebuild with a warranty, honestly. I think on the Aviator a rebuild 5r55 was 3100$ with a 2yr/24K warranty. 25K miles later it still shifts like a champ.

@MyExplorer03v8Lim
A number of mechanical failures are detectable by the PCM, slipping clutch, converter clutch problem, etc. That's done by comparing shaft speeds with what they are expected to be. Many faiures go undetected by the brain, so no codes thrown.

At least check operating pressure before ripping apart the whole works. A broken or stuck open pressure relief valve will cause the transmission to do nothing. imp

Back