2017/2016 grille removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017/2016 grille removal

mayo77ca

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Ive searched but can't come up with a way to remove the grille. I'd like to replace the oval with black ones but they are held on by nuts behind. Anyone know how to access these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive searched but can't come up with a way to remove the grille. I'd like to replace the oval with black ones but they are held on by nuts behind. Anyone know how to access these?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Although I didn't find specific instruction on the 2016/17 models I did find this post that seemed to help a 2016 owner.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...er-off-the-2016-explorer.439743/#post-3499924
BTW your profile shows 2012 Jeep. Please update or add the Explorer and trim level to a signature. Thanks.

Peter

The front is a pain if you leave the grill in. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension (10 MM socket). If you remove the top shroud (2- push/lock pins and several 10 MM bolts) you can pull the grill forward to get to the 2 nuts holding the emblem on (working from the top. It's not hard, you just can't see the 2 nuts that you are undoing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...lems-on-our-sport.389175/page-10#post-3555843 (post 230)

Thanks for the reply guys. I have purchased these (hopefully link works) for my f150 and they look amazing. Going to do it with the explorer now. It would be nice if we could pin point exactly where the bolts are on the back of the front grill emblem and try to drill them out from the front. When I get around to it I'll see if it makes sense to do so. The new emblems will be just using two way tape anyhow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291699214113

Thanks for the reply guys. I have purchased these (hopefully link works) for my f150 and they look amazing. Going to do it with the explorer now. It would be nice if we could pin point exactly where the bolts are on the back of the front grill emblem and try to drill them out from the front. When I get around to it I'll see if it makes sense to do so. The new emblems will be just using two way tape anyhow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291699214113

I've been watching those as well. They look great. Think they'd look great with the magnetic metallic wheels and trim on our XLT. Torn between these and seeing about having MGP brake caliper covers special ordered in orange (awaiting a response to see if that's even possible) and then having someone make me black w/orange lettering Ford logos for the grill and tailgate (again, if it's even possible.)

Be sure to post pictures when you get them on. Very curious to see how they look. :)

I've been watching those as well. They look great. Think they'd look great with the magnetic metallic wheels and trim on our XLT. Torn between these and seeing about having MGP brake caliper covers special ordered in orange (awaiting a response to see if that's even possible) and then having someone make me black w/orange lettering Ford logos for the grill and tailgate (again, if it's even possible.)

Be sure to post pictures when you get them on. Very curious to see how they look. :)

-plastidip looks just as good IMO and saves $120
-MGP doesn't make a caliper cover for Ford exS/XLT/Pt with 20" wheels....and have a history of rubbing FYI

-plastidip looks just as good IMO and saves $120
-MGP doesn't make a caliper cover for Ford exS/XLT/Pt with 20" wheels....and have a history of rubbing FYI

Interesting. Wasn't aware they didn't make the caliper covers for the 20" wheels.

Regarding the plastidip....is it heat resistant? I had considered using VHT caliper paint to do them, but time allocation with two small boys to watch might make getting it done difficult. I do like the 'peel and remove' aspect of plastidip, though.

(Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.)

I have pics taken but can't seem to figure out to add them?

I have pics taken but can't seem to figure out to add them?
Not sure if you can still use a 3rd party hosting site like Photobucket but those pictures heve a history of disappearing. If you want to make sure they stay, you can take out a $20 Elite membership and the photos will be stored on our servers and you can post directly fro your computer/device and support the site at the same time.

Peter

Looking to remove the grille in the front. Was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step. Can’t seem to figure it out after I get the 10mm bolts off the top I can’t see where it’s attached at the bottom.

You have to pull the entire bumper assembly off. Start at the wheel arches, lower the wheel wells, remove the lower bolts and upper, remove bumper. Then you can remove the grill.

I’ve done it a few times. The first time is the hardest.

I believe there's already a thread on this topic here

Looking to remove the grille in the front. Was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step. Can’t seem to figure it out after I get the 10mm bolts off the top I can’t see where it’s attached at the bottom.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one mentioned in the post above. The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be used to find many existing threads/posts. Good luck.

Peter

Back