Hard start cold and almost stalls putting the clutch in for a stop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard start cold and almost stalls putting the clutch in for a stop.

Kevin1986

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer xlt
Hey im new had this explorer for 3 yr done lots to it refurbishing to a running condition and lately it had something that stumped me. Was hard to start cold and ran fine after started. Well i figured i would do an oil change and plugs ang air filter to start then it still had the problem i did the fuel pump 2 yr ago and the filter a week ago now its hard to start and almost stalls when im driving and come to stop with it in neutral and clutch disengaged.it has a new clutch And master and slave clyinder. I dont know what it might be but the intake air control solenoid or maybe coil pack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iac valve can cause idle problems and intake seals can too I only noticed mine when the weather turned cold

I would not think it would be the coil pack . it could be the temp sending unit that is on the right of the thermostat , that sends info to the PCM. i would try the temp. sending unit first ,. ect as its called .

Ok ill check that coolant temp sensor too. I had the intake manifold gasket replaced last year so i would hope its not leaking. But ill check that also... It does seem to start a little easier if i leave the key in the on position for 30 seconds prior to starting dont know if that gives anybody a better clue but hopefully

If you think it's fuel related you could check your fuel pressure with a gauge it definitely won't run right without proper fuel pressure

I dont think its fuel i did the fuel pump 2 yr ago.. Checked for leaks in the intake manifold and checked coolant temp sensor neither was the issue. I went ahead and pulled plug wires off the coilpack one at a time with engine running and there is one that i can pull and the engine does not slow down at all. Plus there is no arcing of electricity when its close to being plugged in. I have decided it must be the coil pack. Ordered one 40$ on amazon

You mention you just changed the fuel filter a week ago...are you sure the filter is installed in the right direction? Most filters have an arrow pointing toward the tank if I recall correctly. Your problem just started since changing the fuel filter...

You mention you just changed the fuel filter a week ago...are you sure the filter is installed in the right direction? Most filters have an arrow pointing toward the tank if I recall correctly. Your problem just started since changing the fuel filter... [/QUOTE no i changed the filter because it had problems starting. And its in the right direction]

I'll tell you something strange... I'm not sure if it applies because you didn't mention it, but here it is. A few years ago, going right into winter, I added Seafoam to my gas tank. It was right around freezing that night, and the next morning it ran fine for about 30 seconds and died. Replacing the fuel filter fixed it. I know you didn't mention any gas additives, but if you were focused on fuel maintenance, maybe you did the Seafoam thing.

At any rate, though you replaced the fuel pump two years ago, I would still check the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure gauges are cheap, and in my opinion, anyone planning to work on a 1st gen explorer should own one. A really good auto parts store might loan you one.

Back