• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Fuel issue..

acschilling

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
92 Ex w swapped 94 engine. Found the vacuum hose and clamp coming off the fuel pressure regulator yesterday along with a cracked, leaking vacuum line coming up to the vacuum tree; leaking gas like crazy onto header. To test where it was leaking I kept priming the fuel pump to get gas to come out then run back to engine bay to take a look. I replace the vacuum from the fpr to the tree with 1/4 fuel hose and hose clamped it down on both ends. My pressure regulator is on the back of the rail so I just went straight from the regulator to tree; maybe 8 inches long total instead of routing it all the way around like I found it. Thought all would be good. When I fired it up it ran super rough. Took many cranks to get it started. And it stunk! The exhaust was really loud and rough too. Not good.
Did priming it 20+ times throughout the process horribly flood the engine? I pulled the plugs and they were pretty black and am trying to let it dry. Not sure what the hell happened. Do vacuum hose diameters /length matter?
Sorry for the long post just want to give some background. Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your leaking gas out of the vacuum line from the FPR then the FPR is no good & needs to be replaced .

if your leaking gas out of the vacuum line from the FPR then the FPR is no good & needs to be replaced .
And that could cause it to run horribly? You think the wider fuel hose I added just sucks in more gas?

And that could cause it to run horribly? You think the wider fuel hose I added just sucks in more gas?
Maybe so, but the point is it isn't supposed to suck gas into that line. The vacuum diaphragm in the FPR is shot and allowing fuel into the vacuum system, which should be dry as a bone.
You need to replace the FPR.

Whoa, hold up. Did you install the fuel rail backwards? The FPR is at the front passenger side of engine.

Maybe so, but the point is it isn't supposed to suck gas into that line. The vacuum diaphragm in the FPR is shot and allowing fuel into the vacuum system, which should be dry as a bone.
You need to replace the FPR.

Whoa, hold up. Did you install the fuel rail backwards? The FPR is at the front passenger side of engine.

Story behind that is I paid 900 for a swap of a 94 after my 92 was going through a quart of oil every tank of gas. I noticed the fuel rail was on backwards, from my experience with the 92, when I was poking around afterwards and didn't worry too much because it ran well and the lifters were finally quiet in the mornings. Must fit either way; but the braided lines run kind of weird. Though instead of just getting to reach down to change the fpr the UI needs to come off. So hopefully the fpr did crap out and that's why the hose started letting out gas. I picked up a new one for $89 and new spark plugs.

New FPR and spark plugs; all is well. Fired up, let it idle 20 mins and goosed the throttle a bit. We're back. Thanks Turdle and gmbroy.

good going turdle , you were on point about the fuel rail on backwards . I just learned something there . & acschilling good job way to go . if you need help this forum is the best you will ever find .

And now I found an injector hissing. Pretty sure it's that since when I push down on it it changes pitch.

I found one of the injectors with an ovaled-out opening on the top, kinda like it was crushed by something, which makes the o ring not fit flush. Strange. Gonna need at least one new injector. All my injectors have the one little hole for spraying. Isn't there a spray pattern difference between like 91-92 and later injectors?

the spray pattern is the same . when replacing the injector why not put the fuel rail as it should be . and please replace all six o rings on injectors .

Indeed I did put the rail back on the right way! Much better. I am going to tear it down again and replace at least that one injector; I had them all out in about 30 minutes.

keep us up to date . best of luck

Back