• Register Today It's free!

Big Decision

Chris Genest

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 4Runner SR5
i had a 4Runner sr5 4x4 that was recently totaled and am now looking at a 15 explorer sport 4wd and a limited 4wd. Any feedback on performance and reliability of the twin turbo v6 compared to standard v6? I kinda like the look of the sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy
I had the 3.5 NA engine in a F150. It had plenty of power to do what I needed it to do. It was a lease and when it expired I purchased a upper level F150 with the 3.5 Eco.

I feel you will not go wrong with either engine. I am looking at a 13 Limited for my daughter with the 3.5 NA and it has plenty of power for the Explorer. It is a tried and true engine and should last a long time.

I also purchased a 17 Platinum Explorer for my wife last month with the 3.5 Eco in it. It flat out moves. We drove it from Kent OH to Baltimore MD along the PA turnpike then I 70, we got just at 20MPG.

Not a straight up answer to your question, but I really don't think you would go wrong with either engine.

Between the Sport and the Limited you will not go wrong either. Coming from the 4 runner these will ride a lot smoother and seem almost car like. Select the one you like best.

i had a 4Runner sr5 4x4 that was recently totaled and am now looking at a 15 explorer sport 4wd and a limited 4wd. Any feedback on performance and reliability of the twin turbo v6 compared to standard v6? I kinda like the look of the sport.
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
If it is HP you desire then the Sport is the way to go with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Otherwise I was perfectly happy with the 3.5L N/A engine in my 2011 Limited. Having now had two vehicles with the Ecoboost, that would be my engine of choice. Both engines are very reliable and have been around a while. My suggestion is to actually drive each one that you are considering and see for yourself as that is the most important thing you could do. Regardless of the opinions of others, a test drive is the only way to find out which suits you personally. Also, if options are a consideration, compare them as well. The Limited has options that are not available on the Sport. The Limited was available with HID headlamps (option). If I recall, it also was available with Active Cruise Control and the Active Park Assist which were not on the Sport. Depending on what you used the 4Runner for, the Explorer has less ground clearance and it actually considered an AWD vehicle rather than the 4WD that is on the liftgate. It has a Terrain Management System (TMS) that can be used to select 4 different modes. If you are interested in checking out the Owner's Manual, you can do so here; 2015 Ford Explorer Owner Manuals & Warranties | Official Ford Owner Site
You may also want to scroll through the threads to see what members have reported on as far as issues/problems.
Good luck.

Peter

Thank you for the feedback. The practical part of me says is should go with the NA 3.5 as maintainance should be cheaper and easier, whereas a big part of me really wants that ecoboost. Can't really go wrong either way.

If there’s any desire to get the Sport, you should. We bought new 13’ Limiteds and they were great. BUT, that Sport was always in the back of my mind. So, late 2016, our dealer made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. Upgraded to a 16’ Sport for me and a 16’ Platinum for the wife. We have about 20,000 miles each, and they have been flawless. Fun to drive, and plenty of power. Good luck.

If you're already looking at a 3.5L NA, just get the turbo and be done with it. Yes, you now have extra components like turbos to worry about--but the fun per gallon? Off the charts.

If you compare the MPGs between the 3.5L NA and the TT, there won't be much difference.

I got a 2.3L myself, but I'm more of a "comfy cruiser at lowest possible price" kinda guy.

Back