Really dumb question but I have to ask | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really dumb question but I have to ask

Mlarv5

Reaction score
City, State
Crossville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum Ruby Red
I have a 2017 Platinum. Some of the information I read say it is an all wheel drive other information does not say anything about AWD. The window sticker does not say anything about AWD. So my really dumb question is do I have an AWD. I am driving home tomorrow from Harrisburg PA to Kent OH along I76. I have the stock tires on it. When I hit the snow and I have AWD will I need to drop it into 4WD snow mode?

Before anybody ask I did look in the book and well I am asking. I know how to drive 4wd in snow mud etc, used to do mud booging with a 1980 F150.

The reason I ask is because I rented a 2002 Dodge Durango with AWD, I hit snow and put it into 4wd and it almost put my over a cliff on HWY 2 in WA state near Stevens pass. I swore off AWD because of it.

So if this is an AWD I will have to rethink my purchase.

Thanks
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
I think this thread should answer your question; 2wd or awd
The OEM Hankooks like most non Winter tires are not the best in snow or for cold weather traction. I use dedicated Winters on my Platinum and drive in 'Normal' mode, even in snow although I may try '\snow' mode this time in snow to see if there is a big difference.
Check out my post here; Terrain Response / possible to drive with snow program on highway ?

Peter

I have a 2017 Platinum also. And they are 4wheel when you put is in the snow or gravel etc... Position. You can transfer it on the fly which means while in motion. When you leased or purchased the Platinum you bout the top of the line with all bells and whistles...! ENJOY SAFE DRIVING.

• Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS)
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Hill Start Assist
  • Independent front and rear suspension systems
  • Intelligent 4WD
  • Terrain Management System
  • Trailer sway control
  • 3.5L EcoBoost
  • 20" Bright Machined Face With Tarnished Dark
  • Mini spare tire

Comparing an 02’ AWD Durango to your Platinum is like comparing apples to elephants. The “intelligent” AWD system in the Ex is there working, all the time, especially in the Platinum and Sport. Does the Platinum have the AWD monitor in the left screen? If so, check it out sometime. You’ll see nearly 100% power transferred to the rear axle when accelerating from a stop. Don’t sweat it. You’ll probably never notice it’s there, unless you’re trying to do donuts in a snow covered parking lot.

• Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS)
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Hill Start Assist
  • Independent front and rear suspension systems
  • Intelligent 4WD
  • Terrain Management System
  • Trailer sway control
  • 3.5L EcoBoost
  • 20" Bright Machined Face With Tarnished Dark
  • Mini spare tire

I still don't see All Wheel Drive. I have a shift knob that says gravel snow etc. To me that is intelligent, that is why my question.

Thanks
Comparing an 02’ AWD Durango to your Platinum is like comparing apples to elephants. The “intelligent” AWD system in the Ex is there working, all the time, especially in the Platinum and Sport. Does the Platinum have the AWD monitor in the left screen? If so, check it out sometime. You’ll see nearly 100% power transferred to the rear axle when accelerating from a stop. Don’t sweat it. You’ll probably never notice it’s there, unless you’re trying to do donuts in a snow covered parking lot.

It is still in the back of my mind that POS shifting in and out of 4wd, and us ending up on a Jersey barrier looking over a 1500 foot drop.

Thanks

I know the tires make a big difference.

Thanks for all the answers.
Merry Christmas
Mike

"Intelligent 4wd" that is what it is called but it really is and.

4wd is when you have the front and rear being powered but unless you have a locking diff, the right or left tire can lose traction and spin like crazy. 4wd is not really 4wd for most vehicles.

The ex has intelligent 4wd (really awd). It monitors each wheel and for spin in milliseconds. It can adjust clutches front and back, side to side to prevent wheel spin on all 4 wheels.

We don't use winters in NH it it gets around fine. But put on a set of dedicated winters and it will go anywhere.

in the instrument cluster, toggle the left information center until you get a view of the explorer with the traction split between front/rear

I still don't see All Wheel Drive. I have a shift knob that says gravel snow etc. To me that is intelligent, that is why my question.

Thanks

It is still in the back of my mind that POS shifting in and out of 4wd, and us ending up on a Jersey barrier looking over a 1500 foot drop.

Thanks

I know the tires make a big difference.

Thanks for all the answers.
Merry Christmas
Mike
That "shift knob" is the Terrain Management System (TMS). Its uses are explained in your Owner's Manual. And as blwnsmoke mentioned the vehicle is actually AWD and not 4WD as Manual says in some placed and as the badge on the liftgate shows. I believe the 4WD is more of a marketing thing or perhaps it's because of the TMS feature. My 2014 MKT had the same type of drivetrain, minus the TMS, and had an AWD badge on the back. If you encounter a snowy highway you can just put the TMS in 'Snow Mode' and forget about it. Like I posted, I've always left it in 'Normal' but may try 'Snow Mode' if I encounter that type of condition this Winter.
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Mike and hope you have a safe trip.

Peter

in the instrument cluster, toggle the left information center until you get a view of the explorer with the traction split between front/rear

The Platinum model has a different instrument cluster and that is not available. We do get a full time tachometer, however :)

The Platinum model has a different instrument cluster and that is not available. We do get a full time tachometer, however :)

It is available but it is hidden under Driver Assist > Intelligent 4WD

Thanks for the reply's. I will have to go out and look for the graphic showing power distribution. When I got home on Thursday I went to a parking lot that was not cleared and played around a bit. I slide this way and that way because of the tires. the ABS and AWD where doing there job. On Friday I went out and bought a set of Blizzak tires and took the OEMs and put them in my shed until spring. When we get more snow I will see how well the sliding is under control. My wife and I are heading to MO then up to MI in the next week for Christmas so I bet I will get a good shot at playing around.

Charles, I guess you haven't read as far as page 110 in the Manual.;)
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

Thanks for the reply's. I will have to go out and look for the graphic showing power distribution. When I got home on Thursday I went to a parking lot that was not cleared and played around a bit. I slide this way and that way because of the tires. the ABS and AWD where doing there job. On Friday I went out and bought a set of Blizzak tires and took the OEMs and put them in my shed until spring. When we get more snow I will see how well the sliding is under control. My wife and I are heading to MO then up to MI in the next week for Christmas so I bet I will get a good shot at playing around.
Hey mike don’t forget to hit up Swensons! It’ll make your EX smell soooooo goood!

Learn something new every day!

Hey mike don’t forget to hit up Swensons! It’ll make your EX smell soooooo goood!

I will have to say I only ate there once and that was enough for me. I travel enough (3 weeks gone 1 week home) that fast food or even restaurants don't appeal to me any more.

I will have to say I only ate there once and that was enough for me. I travel enough (3 weeks gone 1 week home) that fast food or even restaurants don't appeal to me any more.
I can understand that. I grew up in stow and ate there all the time when I was living there. Anyway have a great holiday! Enjoy the ride!

I can understand that. I grew up in stow and ate there all the time when I was living there. Anyway have a great holiday! Enjoy the ride!

Stow is right next door to me. Merry Christmas

I had the same generation Durange-o and driving in a straight line without being in something slippery they drive very similar. You will notice the differences when losing control, or lack of loss of control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back