2017 Rear Hatch/Liftgate not closing completely? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Rear Hatch/Liftgate not closing completely?

CAtoFLin1994

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
When closing the rear automatic lift gate it used to pull the lift gate in say an extra 1/8" (at the end of closing)and make a small but audible click when it closed. I just checked 2 other Explorers and their lift gate made the noise we "used" to hear. I have no warnings and the lift gate is locked when I check it. Anybody have an idea what may be going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When closing the rear automatic lift gate it used to pull the lift gate in say an extra 1/8" (at the end of closing)and make a small but audible click when it closed. I just checked 2 other Explorers and their lift gate made the noise we "used" to hear. I have no warnings and the lift gate is locked when I check it. Anybody have an idea what may be going on?
Are you able to push on it after it is closed and do you then hear a click? Are you sure it is locked? Tried opening it with the tailgate button on the gate without having your fob near the vehicle?

Peter

Are you able to push on it after it is closed and do you then hear a click? Are you sure it is locked? Tried opening it with the tailgate button on the gate without having your fob near the vehicle?

Peter
Yes, did all of the above. It used to sound like a small motor pulling a bit and a small click. It's locked, but it is not making that "noise" at the end of closing cycle.

Mine doesn't always make that 'noise' when it closes.
It's more prone to make that motor noise when I use the power lift gate to close it.
If I just close it by hand, I don't think always makes that noise.
I cannot confirm which situations causes it to make a sound, but I know it doesn't to it all the time.

On my 17 Explorer the hatch had to be realigned. It would not close correctly. Still need a small adjustment since its rubbing on the bumper and making a mark on bumper.

Mine doesn't always make that 'noise' when it closes.
It's more prone to make that motor noise when I use the power lift gate to close it.
If I just close it by hand, I don't think always makes that noise.
I cannot confirm which situations causes it to make a sound, but I know it doesn't to it all the time.
Your right, I tried every way and got it to make the "noise" once by manually closing it. It's weird, my neighbors does it every which way you close it , mine only once in a while closing it manually. It sounds like a small solenoid plunger activating but I can't figure out where. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, maybe it's not an issue.

Your right, I tried every way and got it to make the "noise" once by manually closing it. It's weird, my neighbors does it every which way you close it , mine only once in a while closing it manually. It sounds like a small solenoid plunger activating but I can't figure out where. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, maybe it's not an issue.
As long as it locks it should be okay. Do you get the chimes when it power closes?

Peter

Could it be dependant on how much force you use when manually closing it? Light force, clicks and sucks in.. hard force, no click because it is already fully closed and tight?

That could be? I'll try closing it a number of different ways this weekend and see if that changes anything.

Could it be dependant on how much force you use when manually closing it? Light force, clicks and sucks in.. hard force, no click because it is already fully closed and tight?
Yes, I tried a number of ways and conclude that a light manual close will initiate the "locking noise". What threw me off was that it always made the locking noise when we used auto close or any other method. Maybe the gaskets and doors have settled and the door shuts more completely now after a year??? I don't see it as a problem now and thanks all for input.

Maybe the gaskets and doors have settled and the door shuts more completely now after a year???
I don't think that applies. I had my 2011 Explorer 3 years and it always did the 'draw in and click' thing. As long as it locks that is the main thing. Maybe mention it the next time you have the vehicle in for service if it is still the same.

Peter

Back