Transmission died. Pay someone to rebuild, or swap in a reman? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission died. Pay someone to rebuild, or swap in a reman?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
My transmission has crapped out. I've got quotes from a variety of shops to swap in a remanufactured assembly, as well as rebuilding it. The costs are about the same, though rebuilds seem slightly less. Rebuilds are in the $2,500+ range while remans are right at $3,000.

One shop specializing in transmissions mentioned that they'd put in a shift kit, in addition to boring the servos and all the other usual stuff. I don't know what they means or if it's something I should want.

I don't want to scrap the vehicle, but I have nearly zero knowledge when it comes to transmissions, so I'm in need of a little advice on my best path forward.

In your oppinion am I better off swapping in a remanufactured part, or should I have a reputable shop rebuild it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on how it broke, most members report shops generally will only rebuild your transmission instead of fixing it and some work right and some don't. I rebuilt my own without special tooling and so have others.

Depending on how it broke, most members report shops generally will only rebuild your transmission instead of fixing it and some work right and some don't. I rebuilt my own without special tooling and so have others.
Im not afraid of turning wrenches, but I have no experience at all with transmissions.

I've done some research, but I really don't know much at all.

The other issue is that I don't have a garage, and I live in a place where it snows heavily until may.

I'd love to spend the winter learning and rebuilding it, but I don't see this as a diy opportunity.

I totally understand when I removed mine I had to push my vehicle out of the shop until I fixed it and it took a while to find the time

As far as which way I would go if I could I would swap in a reman from a reputable source versus paying someone else to rebuild it

Are you the original owner?

Did you get it second hand?

I would much rather have MY case rebuilt because I know its history and I have never abused it.... Much....

Just my 2 cents worth.

For $2500 does it include a new torque converter?

Also might be a fine time to hit those timing chains while the transmission is out.

You may not need it now but you will later...

For $2500 does it include a new torque converter?

Also might be a fine time to hit those timing chains while the transmission is out.

You may not need it now but you will later...
Yeah, TC would be included. Good call on the timing chains. Wait. Dumb question. Does the 4.6 have rear timing chains?

@shucker1
Have you any knowledge of the present-day cost of auto trans rebuild kits? Years back, they contained clutch discs, bands, seals, gaskets, maybe thrust bearings, bearing bushings. I am sadly behind the times on this. If a "rebuilt kit" costs ~ $1500, one might as well go for a whole rebuilt trans. ??? imp

@shucker1
Have you any knowledge of the present-day cost of auto trans rebuild kits? Years back, they contained clutch discs, bands, seals, gaskets, maybe thrust bearings, bearing bushings. I am sadly behind the times on this. If a "rebuilt kit" costs ~ $1500, one might as well go for a whole rebuilt trans. ??? imp

Rebuild kits are like $200. But it's the expertise id be paying for. There are other parts associated with a rebuild, maybe another few hundred dollars worth, but yeah they seem to be low cost parts, though labor intensive.

I’d rather have a shop rebuild my unit. I’ve had several done, and only wen the remanned route once. (Traded a trans shop a 700r4 for a TH400 for my El Camino). I’d get reviews on the shops, and find the most reputable one. I’m not sure what ‘updates’ are available for that trans, but that was one of my tests. I took a list of must have upgrades from here and asked the shops what non-factory parts were going to go into my 4r554e, and the one shop was able to list almost all of them. I went with that shop.

Back