• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Leak

247hoopsfan

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT 4WD
Just picked up my new 2018 XLT last Thursday. Came out the next morning and found a puddle of
transmission fluid. Not good on a $46,000 vehicle! It’s a company car, can’t get in for fleet service till next Tuesday. Sure looks good though...

AD4629FD-58CF-4327-B1C2-47B36F7DF49A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Define "puddle". A couple small drops of oil can spread out quite a bit and make it look like a much bigger problem.
Got any pictures?

She's a beauty!

Sorry to hear of your new car troubles, hope it's not as severe as believed.

Define "puddle". A couple small drops of oil can spread out quite a bit and make it look like a much bigger problem.
Got any pictures?
It is a slow drip, but I would imagine it is an ounce or so over 24 hours. I just went out and snapped this pic. You can see the fresh pool, along with what soaked in over the last 2 days.

296607FB-B5C9-4DCD-8649-D98D46A3462D.jpeg

Just picked up my new 2018 XLT last Thursday. Came out the next morning and found a puddle of
transmission fluid. Not good on a $46,000 vehicle! It’s a company car, can’t get in for fleet service till next Tuesday. Sure looks good though...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Could be from the drain plug? Looking at the picture, it does seem that Ford has gone back to the 'pigtail' antenna from the shark fin.

Peter

That's a bit of a leak. I see you in San Francisco and from your post I deduce that you are likely going to fleet repair in Colma since they have dedicated fleet dept. All the techs in fleet has a minimum of 10 years to work there. Been very pleased with the work. All mines are serviced there if I didn't do it myself. Their body shop is also excellent, I had body work done there and work is flawless and paint matches. All other mechanical techs are in retail service.
Good catch on the pigtail antenna Peter. I missed it until you pointed it out. Wonder why? Bad reception?

Hey XLT03, thanks for the heads up about Colma. I actually live in Castro Valley in the East Bay. I usually go to Livermore Ford. They are alright, but he says I have to leave the car for the day which is ridiculous when it is probably just a loose bolt or 2. Can't fit me in until
next Tuesday. I asked him for a loaner and he said only if they need to order parts. My company will pay for a loaner, but they shouldn't have to after dropping $46K on the car. I may get a manager involved.

Wow. This is where good dealers separate themselves from bad ones.

Yes, it's Ford's error, not the dealers, but the goodwill from a comp'ed rental is small change for big gain in customer loyalty. Especially when the car wasn't one day old before the issue was discovered. Absolutely incredible.

Back