Colorado Color Run 09/2018 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Color Run 09/2018

What dates in Sept Do you all want? Let us know what weeks you would like for the gathering.

• 09/08 - 09/15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 09/22 - 09/29

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey all, TJ here. I would suggest the week before Labor day since the weather could be unknown. For the last 2 years we have gone the last week of August and it has been great. This last year it snowed the first week of Sept and Black Bear was not accessible. Either way, we are down to join. We have a MH that we pull our X behind and will stay at the KOA in Ouray.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not think I have seen it snow as early as August here in Colorado yet. I have how ever have seen it snow in September but it lasted Maybe a day and mostly in the higher regions. I think the week that has been chosen is still a good week.

Well the weather is unpredictable for sept. Yeah it usually only lasts a day or two, but it could alter doing black bear. If you choose to go in September im sure it will be fine, just have to chance it. Just let me know what days and we will try to go back up there. If its over the weekend then we can go back up Friday and maybe head back on Monday.

Gman, it just depends on the weather for fall colors. Usually mid to late sept is the best for the color change. This year it happened early and the mountains got a big snow storm in mid sept.

This year they closed black bear sept 29th for the season due to snow. It had closed a day here and there early on in sept due to snow fall.

Wedding anniversary is August 30th, we spent our honeymoon in Ouray. If there’s a chance we can get in an anniversary trip, I’ll be voting for the 1st.

Officially, The main group days are Fri-Sun, but we tend to show up days and days before, and sometimes stay longer. This way, we can do our own stuff on other days.

I am shooting for at least 5 days there myself, Arrive Tue or Wed-Leave on Mon. I want to take a ride on the Silverton / Durango steam train thru the Mountains one of the early days. Looking for others interested in joining me as well! :)

Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

We will join you on train. I've always wanted to, but have never taken the time.

Yes! The Train ride will be great! Wooot, Woot!! lol

I think we should try to pin this date down by the end of January. We will need to start making reservations fairly soon.

I agree. We need train tickets ASAP.

If we go the first week of September, that Monday is a holiday - one less vacation day required.

We could ride the train on Tuesday, and wheel/explore Wednesday through Friday. I will need to leave by Saturday, as I have a 2 day drive to get home.

Thanks to my job, I am flexible for dates.

I was wanting to go when it was less crowded, but if that can't be avoided, due to others schedules, and weather concerns, I will go with the flow, and go when it's best for the group. It is also a 2 day return trip for me, but I would take Sunday/Monday, for that.

Thanks to my job, I am flexible for dates.

I was wanting to go when it was less crowded, but if that can't be avoided, due to others schedules, and weather concerns, I will go with the flow, and go when it's best for the group. It is also a 2 day return trip for me, but I would take Sunday/Monday, for that.

In years past, the Labor Day weekend was not overly crowded. I'm with you on fewer crowds.

You know I like the idea of the first week also. It could be a Birthday (late) trail for me. As with my work I am also flexible. Just need to get firm dates. So I can start asking for the week. So we will have an Anniversary and Birthday Fun LOL. :)

Past pics for enticement. :D

100_3929.JPG

100_3928.JPG

100_4008.JPG

100_4085.JPG

100_3983.jpg

BH in San Juan Mtns.jpg

Black bear switchback BH.jpg

CCR 2009_3.jpg

CCR 2009_2.jpg

Dang Gum I can not wait and I live here LOL. I have been to other trails but have not been down there yet. can not wait.

Did you have anyone that was Stock or 2" tall with you. I've had My 92 in places Heeps thought I would not make but I am sure my 97 will be a little better especially when I get the real transfer case installed. But just wondering. Love the Pics.

Stock rigs can handle just about everything we do. I would concentrate on suspension and traction over anything. Lockers, shocks, and sway bar disconnects help a bunch.

Low range is advised as we climb steep grades for hours at a time, and encounter the occasional obstacle or crossing.

Some awd vehicles adapted for this with better cooling abilities and traction devices can and do handle it fairly well, but when it comes to the explorer, a low range is best suited.

AWESOME Thank you Gman. Looking forward to this trip. I will have some trial runs before this even to work out kinks. but so looking forward to this trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back