2WD vs 4WD Explorer XLT 2017? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2WD vs 4WD Explorer XLT 2017?

Widmark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2 buy ‘17 XLTw/Forumhelp!
Hi All -
We are considering buying a 2017 XLT 4WD instead of the 2WD which my wife prefers due to lower cost, better mileage, and less complexity, but I would like to take it to the snow and avoid chains. I would be grateful for answers to a few questions:

- like many AWD SUVs, if a tire needs replacing on 4WD Explorer 2017, must all tires be replaced on that axle at same time?
- I live in CA... will stock tires plus 4WD option Explorer be enough to gain passage from authorities on chain required roads, or would chains and/or snow tires be required as well?
- Are 20” wheels ill advised on 4WD Explorer? Why or why not?

I don’t believe the XLT 4WD version I am looking at has the terrain management system, but could be wrong. My understanding is the 2017 4WD Explorer is an always on system... can I use 2WD mode for daily commute?

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1-I blew a tire, but i was down to 5/32nds or less on the remaining tread so I replaced all four. I believe you are only allowed a disparity (edited... see below) between the axles but I'll check the WSM spec.
2-I would not take the 20" hankooks on snow, not sure about the Michelins that are likely to be on the 18s (most XLTs). Neither as far as I know are snowflake rated, so I doubt it.
3-I have 20s on my ride and I love them. A little pricey to replace, but ride fine. I had bad luck, life goes on. I run 18s in the winter however.

Every 4WD will have terrain management. You cannot switch the system into a 2H mode--it's always watching and active. You can let it be for your daily commute. If your life is like mine with inclement weather--and I live in Buffalo--you could easily go your entire ownership period and never touch terrain management. The calibration as it stands is very intelligent and I've driven this vehicle through some awful, awful snow (and also to a very beautiful North Carolina with my AWD that didn't complain, either.)

Edit: Per my 2017's service manual, the following tire dissimilarities will trigger a fault code:

Difference is > 7% between front and rear axles
or
Difference is greater than 14% at either side of the same axle.

If chain restrictions are in place it does not matter if you have AWD or snow tires, you need to chain up. If you have 20" rims you can not use chains. You are looking at an All wheel drive vehicle, it is not a 4wd. It runs front wheel drive until they slip they the backs automatically kick in. There is now way to shut it of also no low range like a 4wd will have. There are two 20'' options one is an all season tire and the other is a summer only tire watch for this when you buy it as summer tire are not supposed to be run below 40 degrees. I second not to run hancooks in snow I tried mine in 2'' of snow and then bought 18'' rims and snows. I don't believe the MPG will be very different on a 2wd but the resale value will be a lot less depending on were you sell it.

I wouldn’t bother considering a high end SUV in 2wd, ESPECIALLY if it will ever see snow service.

Welcome to the Forum Widmark.:wave:
I believe t,he Summer tire was only an option on the Sport and it (tire) has been discontinued. The Hankook, like all non Winter rated tires, is not recommended for driving in Winter like conditions. There are a couple threads on alternatives to chains although I don't know if they qualify as 'chains' where they are required.
Peerless Z-Chains
No tire chains - but can we use these?
Good luck and Happy New Year.

Petre

Thanks all for the great, speedy feedback! I had an Acura MDX AWD and you could really screw up the car replacing only 1 tire... as I recall minimum was both axles at a time and even that was “chancing it”. Anything else would also void your warranty. Also, owners manual as I recall would not permit chains on the Acura AWD. Sounds like chains are OK for 4WD Explorer if needed which is good to know.

Really, you should never replace just one tire on ANY car, especially a car driven in snow or in a place that sees heavy rain.

Thanks all for the great, speedy feedback! I had an Acura MDX AWD and you could really screw up the car replacing only 1 tire... as I recall minimum was both axles at a time and even that was “chancing it”. Anything else would also void your warranty. Also, owners manual as I recall would not permit chains on the Acura AWD. Sounds like chains are OK for 4WD Explorer if needed which is good to know.

When I blew my tire, the dealer said I could 'get away with 2' but I wasn't comfortable with the difference from front to rear. The last thing I needed was a non-warrantable failure on the PTU.

I hated those Hankooks anyway. I got some nice Michelins on there now that I just adore. :bow:

I wouldn’t bother considering a high end SUV in 2wd, ESPECIALLY if it will ever see snow service.

Respectfully disagree. I live in Northern NH and have been using a FWD Explorer XLT with a set of Blizzaks in the winter for years. Never had any issues. The 5th Gen Explorer is not an "off-road" SUV anymore due to it's design. However, as a SUV/Crossover it works great on "unpaved" roads and the such, even in the winter.

I normally use Michelin Defender MS tires and they too are good in light snow and are great in rain.

The Blizzaks though, are far superior in snow. The snow tire is not a guarantee of easy snow driving, it just gives you a better chance at stopping earlier and not sliding that much. Caution and experience dictate 80% of how you do. We've had good snow this year and my FWD is fine. I don't expect to plow through feet of snow or climb a mountain, but I use it daily and love it. (also, I don't have PTU issues!)

Respectfully disagree. I live in Northern NH and have been using a FWD Explorer XLT with a set of Blizzaks in the winter for years. Never had any issues. The 5th Gen Explorer is not an "off-road" SUV anymore due to it's design. However, as a SUV/Crossover it works great on "unpaved" roads and the such, even in the winter.

I normally use Michelin Defender MS tires and they too are good in light snow and are great in rain.

The Blizzaks though, are far superior in snow. The snow tire is not a guarantee of easy snow driving, it just gives you a better chance at stopping earlier and not sliding that much. Caution and experience dictate 80% of how you do. We've had good snow this year and my FWD is fine. I don't expect to plow through feet of snow or climb a mountain, but I use it daily and love it. (also, I don't have PTU issues!)

The original poster WAS talking about mountainous driving where chain restrictions can be in effect. Whether or not it is an ‘offroad’ SUV is irrelevant. I’d take a low sitting Subaru car over ANY FWD crossover in any inclement setting.

I hear you... just giving my opinion of the suv with FWD.

Also, my Subaru Outback is higher off the ground than the Explorer.

I live in WV, and at the local Ford dealers, I have never seen a FWD Explorer. Cars on the lots are always AWD. I suppose if you want FWD you could order one, but nobody in WV wants a FWD Explorer. It's almost an Oxymoron.

I hear you... just giving my opinion of the suv with FWD.

Also, my Subaru Outback is higher off the ground than the Explorer.

Who really cares, or asked about your Subaru. Not relevant to the conversation.

Who really cares, or asked about your Subaru. Not relevant to the conversation.
it was in response to me. it was relevant to FWD vs AWD. :rolleyes:

I was just about to post the same message but you beat me to it as I was still typing away.:)
Happy New Year! :party:

Peter

Back