2016 Explorer Sport vs 2017 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport vs 2017 Explorer Sport

Drive XR7

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 X ST
A buddy just bought a 2017 Explorer Sport and I had a chance to look around it and made a few mental notes of differences between the 16s and 17s. I thought it was interesting and you might too.

The obvious difference is SYNC2 in the 16 vs SYNC3 in the 17. But the differences extend beyond that.
  • The cupholders on the 16 have little rubber nubs to keep the drinks from moving. They work OK but not great if you have a smaller drink. The 17s have spring loaded nubs that actively press against your drink to keep it there.
  • The 17 remembered the heated seat and steering wheel settings the next time it was started. My 16 doesn't remember and I have to turn on my heated seat or steering wheel every time. I really wish I could fix this on my 16.
  • The 17's all weather mats have more rubber lip, protecting the carpet better than the 16 all weather mats.
I think there was another difference but it's not coming to me immediately so when it does I'll update. I can't quite justify dropping the $1600 on the SYNC3 module just for Android Auto & Apple Carplay where SYNC2 seems to work OK for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never understood the reasoning behind Fords Sync 2 and Sync3 and why it cannot be applied to the older version. The physical structure is the same in both, same screen, same size, probably the same wires but software is different. Why could not Ford convert Sync 2 into Sync 3 so that we, the 16 Explorer owners can upgrade to 3. I am totally satisfied with the current Sync2 but what is Ford thinking? don't they want to keep their long long term customers satisfied long term. Why is Ford selling XP Sport at 50K MSRP if they don't give a damn about their customers long term plan? What is the reason to keep this truck long term? Why did not they come up with either a bigger screen? higher definition screen? an on top exterior nav screen that Lexus, BMW and Benz has.

And now we cant even upgrade from Sync this to the next version. why Ford does not give us an option for an amazing heads up display? It like I am reading alien stories for month now and the Germans are even coming up with some kind of Augmented reality Windshield stuff for the BMW's. What is Ford doing these days? Nothing? Keeping the same screen, no heads up display. Do something Ford, even Volvo is back into competition.

^^^ The one main reason I can see is $$$$. I doubt you can pick up the vehicles you mentioned for the price of an Explorer. One thing is for sure, the lack of the items mentioned definitely isn't affecting Explorer sales. Happy New Year!:party:

Peter

Nah I get that. Explorer was overpriced for the equipment at the time, no lane keep, no adaptive cruise without the option, and SYNC 2 is garbage. We all know this, there are class action lawsuits about it, Consumer Reports ripped Ford apart for its ****ty Interface.

But in Fords defense, Sync 3 is different hardware than Sync 2. Ford didn't have any choice but to just start offering it. It's too bad they couldn't get it ready in time for the 2016s though.

My 16 Sport remembers the heated seats and heated steering wheel. If you remote start it, it defaults to both seats A/C cooling (not good when it is -10'F outside). But if you start normally, it does remember, and I didnt use FORSCAN or any special processing (came stock).

My 16 Sport remembers the heated seats and heated steering wheel. If you remote start it, it defaults to both seats A/C cooling (not good when it is -10'F outside). But if you start normally, it does remember, and I didnt use FORSCAN or any special processing (came stock).
The A/C cooling should not happen at the temperature you indicated. It could be that you don't have the setting for remote start climate control set to 'Auto'. Here is what the Manual says in the Climate Control section; (page 136)
Remote Start (if equipped)

Automatic Settings
In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display). The rear defroster
and heated mirrors automatically turn on.

Peter

These settings are driven by as-built data into their respective modules. Have you ever changed anything with FORScan?

Otherwise, this is a dealer trip to have proper ABD re-inputted.

Back