• Register Today It's free!

2013 Power Liftgate Problem.

kth927

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
My power liftgate does not open or close. When I push the button the gate unlatches and chimes 3 times but does not move open or close. It's the same if I use the remote, inside button, or button on the gate. I tried the resetting procedure in the manual a couple of times but no change. Any ideas? The warranty is off so I would prefer to figure it out myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try yanking it a bit? Maybe its stuck on something.

It opens and closes fine manually. It just doesn't power open and closed.

My guess... blown fuse or dead lift cylinder. Take it to the dealer if the fuse isn't blown.

2013 and warranty is up?

My power liftgate does not open or close. When I push the button the gate unlatches and chimes 3 times but does not move open or close. It's the same if I use the remote, inside button, or button on the gate. I tried the resetting procedure in the manual a couple of times but no change. Any ideas? The warranty is off so I would prefer to figure it out myself.
Have you checked the setting in the left hand screen Settings/Convenience to see if Power Liftgate is set to 'Enable' or 'Disable'? That is where I would start.

Peter

It's an early 2013 so it has 46000 miles on it so the warranty is up. It is due for service soon anyway so I'll just let the dealer figure it out.

Have you checked the setting in the left hand screen Settings/Convenience to see if Power Liftgate is set to 'Enable' or 'Disable'? That is where I would start.

Peter

Yes I did try that. It is enabled.

...It is due for service soon anyway so I'll just let the dealer figure it out.

Be sure to circle back and let us know how things go at the dealership, kth927. I'll be here if you need my assistance; I'm always just a PM away.

Crystal

WOW I bought my 2013 in Aug of 2012 and only have 12000 on the clock!

Be sure to circle back and let us know how things go at the dealership, kth927. I'll be here if you need my assistance; I'm always just a PM away.

Crystal

The Explorer is at the dealer and it turns out the lift actuator motor is bad Should get it back tomorrow.

2013 Limited Power Liftgate Problem

I don't know how to navigate this forum and format, however, I have a problem with my 2013 Limited power liftgate. It will not stay up but wants to force a close after opened. Where could I find info on this issue in this website? FYI, I did as the manual instructed re disconnecting the battery which is supposed to cause a reset to no avail. Any ideas out there in Fordum?

There are no other threads on the liftgate with this particular problem that I'm aware of. I'm assuming the this self closing occurs when the liftgate fully opens without any other interruptions such as starting the engine. Have you tried adjusting the opening height to a different setting to see if it does the same thing?

Peter

Yes, I followed the manuals suggestions but it still continues to close on its own. Guess I'll be off to my dealer. Thanks

I had the similar issue - I tried everything and so did the dealer. Finally had to get it replaced and the new ones supposedly have a new part number. Piece of crap early builds.. By the way mine is a 2012 Limited. Let me just say, if you are under warranty you are lucky. Out of warranty I hear they are quiet expensive :)

Thanks for the info. I bought my 2013 in March 2012 so it might be that early build you spoke of.....I'm just barely still in warranty so I'll be off to the dealer today before the thing wacks my head off..

Thanks for the info. I bought my 2013 in March 2012 so it might be that early build you spoke of.....I'm just barely still in warranty so I'll be off to the dealer today...

Good idea, Lesmf; let us know when you get any news from your dealer. I'd like to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can assist; just send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info. I'll make it happen. :thumbsup:

Crystal

My 2013 limited's power lift gate just died on me after a trip to Edmonton Alberta and some nice -35* weather. Was hoping getting it home and warming it up in the shop would help it but no such luck. I tried resetting the height settings and checked the settings but no luck.
On a side note it use to click some times when it was going up. I'm guessing I need to replace the lift motor. Any other ideas out there before I bite the bullet?
Cheers Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Randy. Not exactly shorts weather here either. With the wind chill it was -40 C this morning. There is a procedure in the Manual for resetting the liftgate (not the height) but from what you mentioned about the 'clicking' I'm not sure if that would help but you can always give it a try. Does the 'gate' stay in the open position when opened manually? If so, that would seem to eliminate the strut.

Peter

Back