Can you get a second key for less than $110? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you get a second key for less than $110?

You must visit an experienced and cheap locksmith, they can surely do it for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought my 2000 Explorer and the used car dealer said they only had one key. Since they are chip keys, it looks like I have to go to a Ford dealer to get a second key.

They said $40 for the key and $65 to program it.:eek:

Is there anyway or anyplace to get a programmed key for less?

Thanks.

Ken

I had a local Locksmith cut an extra key and program it for $65. Still not cheap but better than the dealer price. They had a special computer that they used to program the key and the key works great!

Ok, how does the dealer's equipment add a different digital signal that the particular vehicle can recognize? Do they need the vehicle to do this? And when you use 2 original keys to self program a 3rd key, which digital signature does the 3rd key have when you're done? I can see where you'd maybe not be able to use a cloned key to make another, but that seems to me that's an issue with the keys or equipment being used more than anything else - like if the digital signature of a cloned key can't be read and transferred to another cloned key by their key machine.

LOL...here in NZ ...from the ford stealership:

$130 per uncut key (apparently 3 needed(their statement))
$80 per key to cut
$250 per fob (also 3 needed..1 per key(their statement..not mine)apparently "paired " to the keys)
$200 per hour to "reprogram" ya ecu to recognise the new gear(estimated 8 hours)
just shy of 3 grand to rekey and secure the X

what a bunch of job justifyin' theivin' F@#ksticks

Bumping this....2002 Sport. What key do I need from Ebay? H84? I see 80 bit & 40 bit? I would normally look at the FCC ID on the key but it doesn't have one.

Thanks

either 40 or 80 bit will work .....pays to look for STRATTEC keys....OE equipment....paid $40 US for 2...

Back