Rattling Noise from Pillar/Passenger Door?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Noise from Pillar/Passenger Door??

I had a rattle similar to what you are describing on the passenger side front of my 2014 Sport. I could not tell exactly where it was so I removed the "A" pillar trim and the door trim panel. What I found was the window motor was touching the inner door sheet metal. I tweaked it away from the door by hand (was not hard) and now, no more rattle.
I did not take it to the dealer because it was an intermittent issue and I had no faith they would put any effort into finding it.

I have read on here the same, and mine does this once in a while after the front window motors were replaced due to shuddering windows when going up or down.
Its a metallic tapping sound.

Exterior pillar trim on the passenger side is not clipped in tight on many from 2011 thru 2015? and sounds more like plastic rubbing or plastic squeaking when its moving. Some have had it fly off at hiway speeds.
In a quiet area if you press on it and it gives a bit you will hear it, you can rock it edge to edge slightly just to understand the noise.
With air passing thru it while driving its much louder.

Thanks [MENTION=227469]LukerDooker[/MENTION] for your suggestion to use Youtube to post the sound file. Here's the link if anyone cares to have a listen.

[MENTION=243938]Squirty[/MENTION] That sounds pretty much like what I am hearing and the more I hear it, the more I suspect it comes from the door because each time I get someone to join me after hearing the sound, they open the passenger door (and of course closes it) which most likely moves the parts making the rattle and then it isn't heard for a period of time. Have a listen and tell me if it is the same sound.

Cheers everyone and thanks for your help and input.
X

i have the exact same annoying sound which mostly sounds like its coming from the passanger side top aircon vent/tweeter door latch area.... Did you happen to find what was the source of that noise?

I think I have managed to solve this...

The two channel on which the glass window moves inside the door were squeaking. I sprayed it with WD40 and that has sort of stopped the squeaking. However it is still there but not as loud as before..
I just sprayed it through the holes because It's behind the door panel.. so I really don't know how to gain access to it...

sorry i tried it today, the noise is still there.... this mystery sound still continues...

Back