Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters
See if there is a way he can "flip" the exhaust exits to achieve equal length between the 2 banks. As it is, for the driver side to go over to the passenger side and then back again, I reckon this makes the driver side bank about 4 feet longer than the passenger side exhaust. Running the driver bank to the right side for exit and the passenger bank to the driver side for exit would help equalize the length.

without this one side will always have more pulsing shotgun noise than the other side. It makes an uneven , almost a misfire sound.

Just my .02.
Didn't think of that but definitely will put that in the scope of work now that you mention it. Thank you very much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a custom cat-back setup, keeping only the front 2 cats. It side dumps before the right rear tire, it's full 2.25" duals with a H pipe in front of the pair of MACs. Sounds very good without being loud from the driver's seat. I made it out of scrap exhausts I had laying around and only bought the mufflers, which were $40 lightly used from a Mustang.

1330337170381639_5865145456888091779_o_zpsnjyh8nat.jpg

Well done, that's a true dual exhaust. That's to the level of all V8 Mustangs since the 80's, 2.25" true duals(two mufflers, and everything else).

Jon, I agree with that statement. I had a buddy do true duals on his 5.4L F150 and didn't flip the exits. It sounded weird like you said.

I measured mine when i put it together with the same thought of equal length but my driver side was maybe 8 inches longer so i left it alone

Has anyone used a universal 3" tailpipe from Flowmaster? It seems the only cat backs available now are Gibson and Dynomax, but Dunomax uses a single 2.5" tailpipe. I'd like the Mac cat-back, but it's no longer available.

I used the Flowmaster universal 3'' kit, well 2 of them on my big block Bronco. The kit is well thought out and gave me 2 choises for exits which once you choose you have more pipe to play with.

Wow... A lot has been posted in this thread over the years :D

I am still running my Torque Monster Headers (EGR delete), dual 2.5" exhaust off the headers and into a 2.5" dual-in/2.5" dual-out Full Boar Muffler, and then dual 2.5" out the passenger side under the bumper. All cats deleted. Sounds pretty good though I do want to make changes eventually and I need to relocate my rear mounted AF gauge up near the front for when I get around to having the car tuned again.

I am gonna have to start checking all the exhaust on these explorers at the junkyard. Eventually I might get lucky with some headers or custom exhast setup already done since so many people have done it.

I'd bet the only thing which may turn up in a JY, is a bigger tail pipe and muffler.

sadly about ten years ago i was at a local salvage yard and looked at three explorers that had headers , pretty sure two were the fms and one was tm , sure wish i grabbed them

Anyone tried installing one of the Mustang 2015+ Mustang resonators in place of the factory muffler for dual exhaust? They are dual in/dual out. I'm sure they can be had dirt cheap since all the mustang guys do a resonator delete.

Anyone tried installing one of the Mustang 2015+ Mustang resonators in place of the factory muffler for dual exhaust? They are dual in/dual out. I'm sure they can be had dirt cheap since all the mustang guys do a resonator delete.

That is a good idea. The GT500 mufflers are a popular take off part, people want those right now. The OEM mufflers do very well at reducing sound, but I don't think high flow and performance are priorities. So the internal chamber in all OEM mufflers are very good at reducing sound, but the muffler section is still restrictive. I plan to take a shot at building my own Helmholtz chambers this Spring, one behind each muffler. I imagine them being the size of that tiniest race muffler available, maybe 10x6" or so.

Take a look at Full Boar mufflers.. the dual in/dual out sounds great IMO (see my videos above) and the muffler is high quality (doesn't rust), inexpensive... and ZERO drone. My SVT focus droned like MAD... The explorer... no drone. Pleasure to drive even over long distances.

The one I have installed is: Max Flow SS Dual/Dual

Pics of the Full Boar muffler...

I would not say my set up is the best or even all that great for power, but it sounds great and is still better than stock. I have TM headers going to 2.5" dual pipes with all 4 cats removed, into a flowmaster 50 series 2x2.5" in 1x3"out, with a side exit behind the rear tire. Had the shop weld my rear o2 bungs out of the exhaust flow so I have no CEL. I'm pretty happy with it for it being an old worn out truck!

I'm wanting to get something like this . I don't want it loud enough that I can't sneak out by the neighbors, but I want that good feeling from the sound. Nothing that has me going nuts about taking a trip in the Explorer. I already have issues with my girl for taking it. Is there an inexpensive muffler I can throw on to get even 20% of this without burning my money on something I don't need?

Flow master 50 series dual in single out are on Amazon for $144.99. A shop would probably changer $50-$100 to put it on for you. The 50 series isn't going to be too loud on the highway or even just normal driving, but it sounds good when on the throttle.

Flow master 50 series dual in single out are on Amazon for $144.99. A shop would probably changer $50-$100 to put it on for you. The 50 series isn't going to be too loud on the highway or even just normal driving, but it sounds good when on the throttle.
I meant to say I liked what willzilla had, but I don't have the system down here, yet. I liked his clips. I don't really have or want to spend more than $100 on it right now. I have $100 to make it another 4 days. Or I can drive my Ranger with the exhaust issue, because it sounds louder, but I'd like to hear a nice, low hum from the Explorer. I had an 89 Bronco with the cats cut and dual cherry bombs, and it sounded great, but highway trips were draining. I'd just crank up the music. I can't do that with the girl, she already says it's loud.

Old Bronco:
flashedbronco.jpg

I meant to say I liked what willzilla had, but I don't have the system down here, yet. I liked his clips. I don't really have or want to spend more than $100 on it right now. I have $100 to make it another 4 days. Or I can drive my Ranger with the exhaust issue, because it sounds louder, but I'd like to hear a nice, low hum from the Explorer. I had an 89 Bronco with the cats cut and dual cherry bombs, and it sounded great, but highway trips were draining. I'd just crank up the music. I can't do that with the girl, she already says it's loud.

Old Bronco:
flashedbronco.jpg

Look to see if there is another Full Boar muffler like willzilla has, one with a single outlet. That could be used to replace your single muffler, and should not cost much for the labor. It will cost more if they have to modify the tail pipe or the resonator parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Full Boar does have the max flow with dual in/single out. You may find them as single in/dual out, but the max flow being straight through are reversible so they can be used as dual in/single out. They run about $40-50.

Back