1993 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 L V6 Automatic Transmission (First car and I need help) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 L V6 Automatic Transmission (First car and I need help)

The fluid that was drained was completely black and burned ,

will shift into all gears but cannot move even as I press down the accelerator what could this mean?

This means the fix will neither be easy nor inexpensive.

Even if there is a magic easy fix, black / burned stuff in the pan of an A4LD is the kiss of death for the transmission.

Congrats on the buy! First tip, put a spray paint cap under your armrest, it will keep the hinge from breaking. Second, these Explorers have a wasted spark ignition system and they wear out plugs and wires twice as fast. I recommend that you purchase a "Lifetime Warranty" set of plug wires, much cheaper in the long run and only use 'Double Platinum' spark plugs. Roughness is common when the wires start going bad. Third, Read your codes, KOEO, CM and KOER can all be read very easily and will give you "CLUES" as to what is wrong. Codes can be set and not trigger a check engine light.

Almost ANYTHING that can go wrong with one of these has happened before and someone has posted about it and what fixed it in these forums. Some people have even done guides.

Best of luck

Back