What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Very nice. The shiny black shows finger prints. Did this come in a kit or did you cut it your self? About how long did this take you. Was it hard to cut the pieces to fit? Could you show everyone the procedure? I'm sure a lot of people will want to do this.
How did you cut out for the key pad?
Another thought. If you precut these I think explorer owners would buy them from you. I would. I can't fins any precut online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you cut out for the key pad?
Another thought. If you precut these I think explorer owners would buy them from you. I would. I can't fins any precut online.
The doors were precut I got off eBay. It was like 30$shipped but the rear corners and the vinyl on the side of the explorer I did, and the explorer bar in the rear.

Also weekend project. I will also be installing a vanguard Optimus bull bar next week with some rigid dually lights.example pic below.

Edit: added pictures of the power switches for the lights and a pic of the ex at the park

7ABCEC31-C2C6-49B3-BA6D-163253CAA5AA.jpeg

413DBC17-847C-4163-9465-2C52CF37C8D5.jpeg

7DC7C34B-2F9A-42C0-AA11-2A7E0E8D5AE1.jpeg

1DB61DE9-165C-48FA-892E-0B6DC5D2F4A9.jpeg

1379D775-E433-44E6-A49E-DFAC30770260.png

02B29FA5-467A-4761-9F38-5F76F5FF4704.jpeg

90221820-C9BA-44EC-8C03-3053AC00A301.jpeg

Ordered the unleashed tuning from Torrie. Can't wait for it to get here.

Trying to decide what cai to get. Just want more noise, know it's not really going to pick up any power. Wish I could find one used.

Where are you located? I have one I painted? Not sure when I could ship but if you were local I could help you install it. K&n kit. Really noisey kit.... used for one drive to work.. put the factory air box back on.

Where are you located? I have one I painted? Not sure when I could ship but if you were local I could help you install it. K&n kit. Really noisey kit.... used for one drive to work.. put the factory air box back on.

I'm in the Jacksonville, FL area. I'd certainly be interested though.

Loaded the Unleashed tune today. Nice improvement. Feels pretty gnarly with traction control off.

I have a relocation bracket on order. It normally wouldn’t be a problem but I put the lights on. Without the lights the plate is visible. Probably not legal but Texas is about to go to rear plate only soon. So I don’t know that the cops care much. Still getting the bracket and mounting on front.

Hello, gang. Well the Mod-King is back. ;)

Ordered Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Upgrade Kits with Calipers KC3166 today and going to change the rally stripes on my girl to look close to the mustang feature in the photo below. I also want to powder-coat my Velgen VMB6 wheels like the wheel pictured with red and black but my regular powder coat guys don't have the abilities to do this. I'm looking for a place in the Chicago area or I'll have to order a set of new Velgen Wheels so that means I'll be selling my VMB 6's!

Photo's for sure once this is all done :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.10.06 PM.png

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_6781.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

Just picked up my stock wheels from powdercoat. Satin black. I also have a set of dark blue expedition center caps ready to go on. Will snap some pics once I put them on.

1521586256956_95fe65ed6f26208b65747f076d17fdaf.jpg

Very nice, my friend. Definitely post photos.

Finally finished a project long overdue. I ordered some white 1 meter "EL Wire" from these guys (ancient looking website, but don't let that scare you) and an inverter for "up to 5 meters" (it's tiny), and ripped out the "shifter console" on the car. Then I pulled the EL wire in and out of the hole that was available in the panel there, apparently it's not used for anything except perhaps venting.

qPNfCGo.jpg

After a few attempts, I managed to "pin" the EL wire under the top of the cup holders by releasing the 7 (!) screws that hold the cupholders in by just a little, then I screwed it back in pinning it in place. I tried some superglue at first but it refused to stick in any sort of pretty way.

QLUcsoS.jpg

I tested the 2-wire cable that goes to this console from somewhere in the car to light up the various sections of it by throwing a glove over the light sensor, and it's ~11.5V, which is close enough to the 12V required for the inverter. I had a connector laying around that fit the existing inverter, but otherwise I could've just cut the inverter power cable and spliced it just as well. The (+) wire goes to the purple/gray wire and the (-) to the brown. I just attached them with posi-taps, but any method works of course.

SExn7o4.jpg

After putting it all back together, voila! (I had the dome lights on in this picture so it's really hard to see the glow, I'll put up a better pic later, it was too cold to be creative. Pardon the spilled soda stain):

v6BqRg6.jpg

I'll go back later and fix where I had the wires come in and out as unfortunately the way I organized them on that side leaves a small gap that's visible from the drivers side, but it's not exactly urgent :)

Easy and cheap project for anyone who is bored ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally got around to blacking out the grille and rear chrome piece. Door handles will be done next

56ADFD80-D018-4B78-B675-A8C3A8D1020C_zps5uujveig.jpg

Where you able to get the chrome trim off to black it out? I found 2 bolts and 2 screws but I couldn't figure out what was holding it in the middle.

Back