Sector9's 91 explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sector9's 91 explorer

Its been five long years but it is now lifted.
Parts List:
  • James Duff stage 3 5.5" lift
  • Rough Stuff SOA 8.8 spring perches
  • G2 4.88 gears
  • 8.8 Detroit Locker
  • 35x12.5xr15 Goodyear MTRs
  • All new MOOG ball joints/pivot bushings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I miss my Explorer, I'm currently driving an F150, but I want an Explorer again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never been able to fix the Sagging spring issue. I have still been driving it because i cant just let it sit. It has been aligned 2-3 times in the last year with poor results. The springs have sagged enough that it is back to where it was before i added the Spacers. So After getting sick of wearing away tires, and driving horrible. I Broke down and bought some coil overs and bumps! They are 12" Fox 2.0's and 3" Fox 2.0 Bumps! Getting the rest of it together but will be doing the project relatively soon! Super Excited I will have to work on the rear end so that it can keep up with the front. But we will save that for later!
Coilover2.jpg

Coil%20over%201.jpg

I have to say I really like your Center Console. Giving me Idea's for mine. :)

Looks good buddy. Hate to say it, but you need to put a solid front end in that thing already. I am sure its obvious how much better your brothers works with a solid axle. All the work and money you invest in coil overs and such is going to be a waste when you finally put a solid axle in it. I hate to be this guy, but I do speak from experience. I had a nice duff lift that I took off and sold for pennies on the dollar when I put a solid axle in. It will drive better, be stronger and work a lot better off road. Besides, your bro has it really dialed in with his truck.

I don't see it as a waste, just building it in stages. Doing the Coil overs now will only make going to a solid axle in the future cheaper. I will have shock hoops done and the coil overs. I already have the Duff Radius arms, and drop brackets, Gears, etc in to the front end. so I'm not out any more there, and should only need shock tabs and limit strap mount on the axle side that i would lose if and or when I go solid. I know in the end it may have been cheaper to jump straight to solid, When i first built it it was my daily and i didn't have any place or time to build it. The Duff lift was supposed to last for longer than 2 years but I cant say that i would spend that much on a lift from them again. Brackets are all fine but they wont stand behind the worthless springs they put in this kit. They Blamed it on me doing a Spring over in the rear causing the sagging!:banghead: Basically the goal from this portion is to get it Drive-able so i can use it again with out shredding tires!

I guess you can cut the shock hoops off and move them forward if you need to when and if you decide to go solid. It seems to me the only thing you don't like about your rig right now is the spring sag, so going coil overs will take care of that and improve the ride.

While you are under there, reinforce the cross member where the beam drop brackets mount. Mine cracked, and I saw several others that did the same.

I don't remember; do you have the stock beams? If so, you are limited in travel before things start binding.

I don't see it as a waste, just building it in stages. Doing the Coil overs now will only make going to a solid axle in the future cheaper. I will have shock hoops done and the coil overs. I already have the Duff Radius arms, and drop brackets, Gears, etc in to the front end. so I'm not out any more there, and should only need shock tabs and limit strap mount on the axle side that i would lose if and or when I go solid. I know in the end it may have been cheaper to jump straight to solid, When i first built it it was my daily and i didn't have any place or time to build it. The Duff lift was supposed to last for longer than 2 years but I cant say that i would spend that much on a lift from them again. Brackets are all fine but they wont stand behind the worthless springs they put in this kit. They Blamed it on me doing a Spring over in the rear causing the sagging!:banghead: Basically the goal from this portion is to get it Drive-able so i can use it again with out shredding tires!

I understand. You are pretty committed to the ttb at this point anyway. I did it twice. On my exploder I did the duff 3.5" be coil lift first. Next phase I added spacers and a spring over and bigger tires. Next phase I added a locker and gears in the front. Then sold it all and went with a solid axle. This had a few configuration changes too.

Then I sold my exploder and got to build a ranger. This time I was very careful to keep the end in mind. I have had a lot less redos on costs and time and I am way happier with it compared to the phased build of my explorer.

Maybe I am too late. Perhaps my advice and experience would have been more useful to you a few years ago. But- to be honest- no one could talk me into a solid axle on the explorer until I figured it out myself. You probably wouldnt have listened a few years ago. I had dudes telling me to swap it and by the time I realized they were right, I was deep into my ttb- close to where you are.

So here's to wheeling and wrenching and learning!

We got @sector9 s explorer driving again last weekend. Its been a bit of a long process with doing it only a bit at a time. After kids go to bed and when we could get together to get some work done. It turned out great and very happy with it. It cycles at 17 inches of travel and is bumped and strapped a bit less than that roughly 15 1/2" if usable wheel travel. It can also full steer left and right at full bump without firewall changes.

Changing spring rates this weekend, the TTB requires a lot more spring rate than the solid axle due to the geometry being a class 2 lever I believe. Currently have a 250 upper and a 300 lower. We have to have it 2 1/2" of preload just to get it near ride height (still 1" to 1 1/2" low) So will be swapping springs for 300 upper and 350 lower. This will change his spring rate from 136.3lb per inch to 161.5lb per inch. This should achieve ride height at roughly 1/2-3/4" preload which should be perfect.

Also need to destroke the bumps from 3" to a 2" stroke to avoid bumping them around town and after all that will need to be revalved but will look at needs after we do a few shake down runs and things. The rear already couldn't keep up with the front so this will make it even worse so next on the list will be doing the rear. Even a nice spring and good shock would make a world of difference so will see when that comes.

20180106_132145.jpg

20180106_155756.jpg

20180111_195705.jpg

20180111_195718.jpg

20180112_211025.jpg

20180112_211033.jpg

20180112_222530.jpg

20180112_222536.jpg

20180112_222549.jpg

20180112_222621.jpg

20180112_225855.jpg

20180112_225912.jpg

Installed a new steering for Sector 9's Explorer. Swing set steering eliminated all bumps steer and is drastically better all around even while turning at idle in a parking lot is much easier.
20200417_143111.jpg
20200417_155720.jpg
20200417_162907.jpg
20200417_162914.jpg
20200417_162930.jpg
20200417_172813.jpg

wicked cool
Where do the bump stops strike? The top of the JD radius arm?
Need to find some 96-97 Ranger outers ditch the slide pins and single piston calipers

wicked cool
Where do the bump stops strike? The top of the JD radius arm?
Need to find some 96-97 Ranger outers ditch the slide pins and single piston calipers
Yes the top of the radius arms near the vertical support.

Wow. Looks really nice.

Looks good. Is that steering setup a kit you bought or all fabbed yourself?
We built it off of another forum members designs. But all the parts we fabricated ourselves.

Back