• Register Today It's free!

Please help With auto trans

Navy vet

Reaction score
City, State
Roswell, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford explorer XLT
3 weeks ago my girlfriend and I went out of town to pick up her daughter from her dad's house who lives 3 hours away. I have a 1992 explorer XLT 4x4, before we left to make the trip I checked all the fluids, tire pressure, etc. Everything was normal. while we were there getting her daughter I checked everything again, and still all normal. On our way home, about 40 miles from home, the transmission dumped all the fluid and the car dropped speed. After I pulled to the side of the highway, the engine would start, but the transmission wouldn't go into gear. I was able to get the car towed home but have no idea what went out on the tranny, there was fluid all over the underside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the front seal failed. Fill it up and see if it moves, and then pay attention to see if it does it again when it gets hot. Were you driving in a hilly area?

Sounds like the front seal failed. Fill it up and see if it moves, and then pay attention to see if it does it again when it gets hot. Were you driving in a hilly area?

+1 to this. I was in the mountains and my tranny barfed fluid everywhere. After it cooled down I added some lucas tranny fix and new fluid and it hasn't leaked a drop since. But I saw it before it quit working. Wish you the best

+1 to this. I was in the mountains and my tranny barfed fluid everywhere. After it cooled down I added some lucas tranny fix and new fluid and it hasn't leaked a drop since. But I saw it before it quit working. Wish you the best
It sounds more like you overheated it, and pushed fluid out of the vent.

I would have a look at the lines between the transmission and the radiator, maybe a line just sprung a leak.

I'll do that and see what happens. The area we were driving in was pretty flat.

It sounds more like you overheated it, and pushed fluid out of the vent.

I would have a look at the lines between the transmission and the radiator, maybe a line just sprung a leak.

I checked the lines when I got it towed home and didn't notice anything unusual but I'll look at them again just to be sure.

Back