Looking for Explorer...but which one? New to Explorer-ville... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Explorer...but which one? New to Explorer-ville...

F-Series Joe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
still looking
Greetings from an Explorer greenhorn here. I just joined the forum looking for some sage advice on which USED explorers I should be looking at. Just to be clear, I'm not looking to start some kind of spitting contest between fans of different explorer generations. I'm just looking for informed opinions from those who know more than I do. Every vehicle type has it's own strengths and weaknesses, so I'd just like to get a better idea of what they are before I plunk down cash on one of them.

For starters, I am primarily looking at model years '94 & '95. So the last year of the 1st gen explorers, and the first year of the 2nd gen. Why?,,,because they are around the same price (& within my budget of $1200-$2000) in my area and can still be found in decent shape (I think).

As my username suggests, I'm familiar with F-series pickups but have never owned an Explorer. I grew up on a farm and can wrench on my own vehicles, but don't want to make a habit of it at this time. Looking for something reliable and not too hard on the wallet maintenance-wise. I'm not asking "which one is better?" because I know that kind of opinion depends on many things including personal preference.

Soooo, for example:

Are there any common problems with 94's or 95's that I should be wary of when shopping for one?

Is one or the other known to be more reliable or less reliable than the other?

Is one of them easier to work on than the other?

Any widely-known drivetrain problems with either of them?

How do they stack up, rust-wise?

Is the V-8 engine (available starting in '95 I believe) a good plus in a '95, or is the V-6 just as good or better?

Anyway, that's the kind of general advice I'm looking for, but feel free to voice anything you think I should know about when I go out to look at them.

Thanks very much................-fsj

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 started in 96 and would probably give you the least drivetrain problems, (probably none). They also don’t have transponder keys till 98, so no issues to worry about there either. Second gens have a very reliable chassis also, just expect worn out ball joints which is no big deal. I personally haven’t had a first gen, so I can’t really comment much on them much, surely someone will chime in on those. And welcome to the forum!

The 4.0 OHV will run forever, the 4.0 SOHC will often die before 150,000 miles due to timing chain tensioner failure. 5.0 will go forever.
Auto trans is the big weak link in the 1st gen, I don't know about 2nd gen.

Thanks Birdy and RangerX for your input. That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for and it's already shaping my search. Flying blind isn't fun when you have cash on the line, but being informed by other's experience goes a long way!

Get the lowest mile, or least rusty V8 second Gen you can. One of he stoutest Explorers. Fairly affordable, easy to service, and great in the snow, and acceptable off road.

Back