Programming Homelink / Liftmaster - do I need the opener's remote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming Homelink / Liftmaster - do I need the opener's remote?

ou81

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2017 Explorer Platinum. I'd like to program the homelink garage door opener to open my LiftMaster garage door opener but I don't have a remote control for it. All of the instructions I have found assume you have the remote. I have attempted to program it by pressing the learn button on the garage door opener and then pressing the button on the homelink 3 times but I can't get it to work. I erased the homelink settings by pressing and holding buttons 1 and 3 for 10 seconds before trying to program it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 and with my old Liftmaster and my new Genie system, the only way I could get the programming to take was the use of the remote.

Thanks. I found lots of threads on the net that suggested that I don't need the remote but no specifics on how to do it.

I have a 2017 Explorer Platinum. I'd like to program the homelink garage door opener to open my LiftMaster garage door opener but I don't have a remote control for it. All of the instructions I have found assume you have the remote. I have attempted to program it by pressing the learn button on the garage door opener and then pressing the button on the homelink 3 times but I can't get it to work. I erased the homelink settings by pressing and holding buttons 1 and 3 for 10 seconds before trying to program it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
A mentioned, you need the remote. The remote is required to be held near the visor button during the programming phase. Perhaps LiftMaster can help you with getting a replacement remote

Peter

If you have a keypad outside your garage you can use that I think. It is a remote control. Just not sure how to do it.

This is what I would try.
take it off wall
bring into EX
select the code and before you hit enter
hold button you want to program
then go from there.

The remote is used to get the correct frequency (I think), this might work. If not look at Amazon and get a new remote program it then the EX. I keep a remote on my riding mower so when I am done I just hit the button and in I go.

If you have a keypad outside your garage you can use that I think. It is a remote control. Just not sure how to do it.
That should be an interesting experiment but I'm doubtful it will work. When I've used the remote to program the visor button I had to hold the remote's button for a few seconds before the acknowledgement from the visor button. The door keypad seems to be just a one time short signal.

Peter

That should be an interesting experiment but I'm doubtful it will work. When I've used the remote to program the visor button I had to hold the remote's button for a few seconds before the acknowledgement from the visor button. The door keypad seems to be just a one time short signal.

Peter

I always work outside the box cause when I get into the box I get into trouble. I really don't think it will work, but I still would give it a try just because.

Please let us know if this works.

Thanks guys. I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a universal remote. I programmed it for the Liftmaster using the Liftmaster's learn program and then used that to program the HomeLink in my Explorer.

Programming the universal remote for the Liftmaster was a piece of cake. Not so for the HomeLink though. Until I realized that instead of pressing the remote button at 2 second intervals (while holding down the desired HomeLink button) I needed to press and hold the remote button until the HomeLink's light flashed rapidly.

This instruction came from my 2017 Explorer's online manual (from the Canadian programming section)

Press and hold the HomeLink button while you press and release, every two seconds, your hand-held transmitter until the HomeLink indicator light changes from a slow to a rapidly blinking light.
There are also a number of YouTube videos that use this method (from Ford, HomeLink and LiftMaster I believe) but it didn't work for me and I wasted lots of time until I realized that you have to press and hold the transmitter button until the HomeLink lights flash.

Anyway, it's working now. :)

Thanks guys. I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a universal remote. I programmed it for the Liftmaster using the Liftmaster's learn program and then used that to program the HomeLink in my Explorer.

Programming the universal remote for the Liftmaster was a piece of cake. Not so for the HomeLink though. Until I realized that instead of pressing the remote button at 2 second intervals (while holding down the desired HomeLink button) I needed to press and hold the remote button until the HomeLink's light flashed rapidly.

This instruction came from my 2017 Explorer's online manual (from the Canadian programming section)

Press and hold the HomeLink button while you press and release, every two seconds, your hand-held transmitter until the HomeLink indicator light changes from a slow to a rapidly blinking light.
There are also a number of YouTube videos that use this method (from Ford, HomeLink and LiftMaster I believe) but it didn't work for me and I wasted lots of time until I realized that you have to press and hold the transmitter button until the HomeLink lights flash.

Anyway, it's working now. :)
That is step 4 you quoted. I've never had to go beyond step 3 which says to hold the remotes button until the Homelink button flashes. It (step 3) has always worked for my last 3 vehicles. To good this is that it now works and you have a handy new remote. Good old CTC.

Peter

Back