All Terrain / Off Road Tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Terrain / Off Road Tires

I had not seen those before. They look like a decently aggressive tread.
They seem to be getting very favourable reviews on Tire Rack.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On an Ex with 20" rims, I have found that you can put 265/50/20 Good year all terrains on in place of the 255/50/20 stock Hancook's and the stay well with in the diameter percentage allowed. Only less than half in difference in the two tires. But we aren't talking about 20's. I have found quite a few all terrains that will go on an Ex with 18's if you are willing to go a bit bigger, some of which are well within the parameters of the height specs. Just fool around with the tire sizes in Tire Rack. Here's something else you might find handy> https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-265-50r20

If you want to go up to a 255/60/R18, the Hancook Dynapro ATM is pretty aggressive. The size difference between 245/60/R18 and 255/60/R18 is minimal at 0.4" in overall height and width. You can also get General Grabber AT2s and Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 255 size if you are willing to spend more/size up. Those are all true AT tires. The Geolandar ATS is an alright tire, but is still pretty tame compared to the other three I mentioned.

I just purchased a 2011 explorer limited and would like to put all terrain tires on it. I Live in Denver and go skiing a bit, so snow traction is crucial.

Any suggestions? Tire size is 255-50-r20?

Thanks!

Dan

I just purchased a 2011 explorer limited and would like to put all terrain tires on it. I Live in Denver and go skiing a bit, so snow traction is crucial.

Any suggestions? Tire size is 255-50-r20?

Thanks!

Dan
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hard to beat a dedicated Winter tire for snow traction. That being said you may want to check out the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-to-forum-tire-question.450572/
You may also want to check out some tire sites such as tirerack.com or 1010tires.com. They carry actual customer reviews on all brands of tires

Peter

We put a Hankook A/T on our old '06 we had. I was very happy with them in any weather, however never drove them in the snow. Also very reasonable price and I think they have a mail in rebate till the end of the month. I would buy them again

Hi guys,

First post here... looking forward to being a part of this forum.

I just picked up a new 2017 XLT last night, and I'd like to put some off-road tires on it. I am still debating whether or not to get the Traxda level kit. I really like the idea of a level kit, but it's only one day old, so I'm hesitant to do anything that might void the warranty in any way.

That said, if I leave it stock, what is the largest tire size I can fit on the stock 18" wheels, without rubbing?

Also, what would the largest tire size be, if I did go for the level kit?

Last, if anyone knows of a good shop in SoCal for level kit installation, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi guys,

First post here... looking forward to being a part of this forum.

I just picked up a new 2017 XLT last night, and I'd like to put some off-road tires on it. I am still debating whether or not to get the Traxda level kit. I really like the idea of a level kit, but it's only one day old, so I'm hesitant to do anything that might void the warranty in any way.

That said, if I leave it stock, what is the largest tire size I can fit on the stock 18" wheels, without rubbing?

Also, what would the largest tire size be, if I did go for the level kit?

Last, if anyone knows of a good shop in SoCal for level kit installation, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
There are several threads on wheel sizes but this seemed the most appropriate to merge your post with. The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature that can be used to find threads on different topics. You may also want to use a site like https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires to ensure that the maximum diameter variance does not exceed 3% when going with a larger size. Any changes made to the suspension will void the 5yr/60k power train warranty.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
There are several threads on wheel sizes but this seemed the most appropriate to merge your post with. The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature that can be used to find threads on different topics. You may also want to use a site like https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires to ensure that the maximum diameter variance does not exceed 3% when going with a larger size. Any changes made to the suspension will void the 5yr/60k power train warranty.

Peter

Thanks Peter... I used the search, but didn't see anything that addressed maximum tire size.

Appreciate the confirmation on the level kit killing the warranty... Will pass on that option and keep looking for tire info.

18" A/T rated - Continental Terrain Contact A/T

I have been looking for a more aggressive A/T type tire for this generation Explorer since I first got my 2014 model. I couldn't find anything in the 245 60 R18 size, and actually ran snow tires year round on my 2014. I do a lot of driving off of paved roads, as I do consulting for the oil and gas industry. On my present 2016 Base Model, the original Michelin Latitude tires, while a great highway tire, wore out in 22,000 miles driving on lease roads and pipeline rights-of-way.

I found this tire and have had it on since November 2017, putting about 3500 miles on them. During that time we have had a lot of bad weather. Rain, snow and ice. This tire has handled everything very well, and I was particularly impressed in the snow and ice. They have the winter rating, but can be used year round, unlike most dedicated winter tires. I know our Canadian friends will scoff at this, stating you need a dedicated winter tire. If you have winters like we have here in WV and Western PA, this tire will do fantastic and you don't have the seasonal tire change.

I highly recommend them.

TerrainContact A/T - 245/60R18 105H | Continental

How would you rate the NVH as compared to the Latitudes?

The OEM latitudes I've had on different cars are a quiet tire, fine in the dry and a little wet, but not much more.

I have been looking for a more aggressive A/T type tire for this generation Explorer since I first got my 2014 model. I couldn't find anything in the 245 60 R18 size, and actually ran snow tires year round on my 2014. I do a lot of driving off of paved roads, as I do consulting for the oil and gas industry. On my present 2016 Base Model, the original Michelin Latitude tires, while a great highway tire, wore out in 22,000 miles driving on lease roads and pipeline rights-of-way.

I found this tire and have had it on since November 2017, putting about 3500 miles on them. During that time we have had a lot of bad weather. Rain, snow and ice. This tire has handled everything very well, and I was particularly impressed in the snow and ice. They have the winter rating, but can be used year round, unlike most dedicated winter tires. I know our Canadian friends will scoff at this, stating you need a dedicated winter tire. If you have winters like we have here in WV and Western PA, this tire will do fantastic and you don't have the seasonal tire change.

I highly recommend them.

TerrainContact A/T - 245/60R18 105H | Continental
Unless it has the Mountain and Snowflake emblem on the tire it is not Winter rated. Winter rated tires are designed for more than snow. They are designed to remain pliable in cold weather when so called all season begin to stiffen and lose traction. I also noticed the manufacturer says they are "The ideal all-terrain tire for CUV, SUV and Light Trucks with the durability to conquer dirt, gravel and grass while providing a quiet, comfortable ride on pavement." Nothing said about ice and snow.

Peter

Winter_tires_with_North_American_symbol-591d24465f9b58f4c07086b0.jpg

Unless it has the Mountain and Snowflake emblem on the tire it is not Winter rated. Winter rated tires are designed for more than snow. They are designed to remain pliable in cold weather when so called all season begin to stiffen and lose traction. I also noticed the manufacturer says they are "The ideal all-terrain tire for CUV, SUV and Light Trucks with the durability to conquer dirt, gravel and grass while providing a quiet, comfortable ride on pavement." Nothing said about ice and snow.

Peter

View attachment 154219

Peter, I knew you would chime in. It has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol, but not the little Canadian snowflake. And as I have indicated, we don't live in the great white north. So, these tires are very well suited for the terrain and winter conditions that we enjoy here in my part of the states.

I think I made that perfectly clear in my post.

Thanks!

Peter, I knew you would chime in. It has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol, but not the little Canadian snowflake. And as I have indicated, we don't live in the great white north. So, these tires are very well suited for the terrain and winter conditions that we enjoy here in my part of the states.

I think I made that perfectly clear in my post.

Thanks!
Thanks for the reply. Very curious as to why the manufacturer didn't push that info as it could possibly bring in additional sales. No issue with your experience on ice and snow, just the wanted to confirm the Winter rating. If I was looking for Winter tires and saw that same page you linked, those would not be on my list because of the info or lack thereof provided. Thanks again.

Peter

I have been reading up on what tires to pick when the time comes to replace the tires on my 2016 Base and I have been leaning toward the Toyo Celsius CUV. they come in the right size and they are supposed to be the closest thing to a real all season tire.

Supposed to be grippy and quiet on regular roads but the composition stays grippy in extreme cold.

I did not see them on TireRack but there was a few articles that praised them... best details are on the Toyo website.

They are not really all terrain but may be the best choice short of having a set of winter tires.

Take a look.... your comments would be appreciated...

Celsius CUV Tires - Variable Conditions Tires
"Mountain Snowflake qualified for severe snow conditions*"

Pete

Wow...

These threads pointed to the same articles and reviews I dug for days to find.

I should have looked here first....

Thanks

I am going to put the Toyo Celsius CUV tires on my Nissan Murano.They have the correct 18" size and I think they will be a great all around tire for our WV winters. They weren't aggressive enough for my Explorer, that's why i went with the Continentals.
Let us know how they perform after you've had them on a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would like to get a set of winter rated AT tires for my standard 20" rims but am having a tough time locationg any in the correct size, not sure if I could maybe go up a size without any rubbing issues. (I have limited room at my condo for another set of tires & I ran ATs on my old truck all year with no issues)

Thanks
Shane

Back