Rear Door Speaker Holes

Trader0000

Police Explorer for sale....needs paint
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7L
I wanted to replace my utility rear door panels with the standard rear panels so that I could better hear the rear speakers. I could not find a cheap set so I decided to see if I could cut a hole in the door panel. I removed the rear door panel and found a surprise. Ford had molded a speaker star pattern consisting of 28 - 5/16” circles into the backside of the door panel that matches the speaker location.

After removing the panel I plugged in my Harbor Freight Wood/Soldering tool with the pointed tip. Then I centered the hot tip in the middle of each of the 5/16” holes, making a small dimple. Now I took a 1/8” drill bit and made the pilot holes from these dimples. After the pilot holes were drilled I took a step drill and carefully drilled out the holes to match the 5/16” template rings that Ford had molded in place. I thought about covering the back side with speaker cloth but have not done this yet. Then I reinstalled the door panels. This mod greatly increased the rear speaker volume and has the looks like an 80’s style factory speaker. I may later drill these holes larger using the step drill.

PIU Speaker 012.JPG

PIU Speaker 013.JPG

PIU Speaker 014.JPG

PIU Speaker 015.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw that on my door panels too and I want to do that. I will be doing that when it warms up, too cold here.
Looks good.

Did the same thing when i had the panels off to reconnect the latch cable.

Thanks for the idea, Fedon. Just finished connecting the door latch cable and drilled for sound in one shot.

I replaced my rear door panels with retail versions.

Nice job! I'm thinking of doing this or using a hole saw to cut out the outer perimeter of the circle and attaching speaker covers. Do you recall the diameter of the big circle? I've attached a pic of some $10 covers.
I wanted to replace my utility rear door panels with the standard rear panels so that I could better hear the rear speakers. I could not find a cheap set so I decided to see if I could cut a hole in the door panel. I removed the rear door panel and found a surprise. Ford had molded a speaker star pattern consisting of 28 - 5/16” circles into the backside of the door panel that matches the speaker location.

After removing the panel I plugged in my Harbor Freight Wood/Soldering tool with the pointed tip. Then I centered the hot tip in the middle of each of the 5/16” holes, making a small dimple. Now I took a 1/8” drill bit and made the pilot holes from these dimples. After the pilot holes were drilled I took a step drill and carefully drilled out the holes to match the 5/16” template rings that Ford had molded in place. I thought about covering the back side with speaker cloth but have not done this yet. Then I reinstalled the door panels. This mod greatly increased the rear speaker volume and has the looks like an 80’s style factory speaker. I may later drill these holes larger using the step drill.

View attachment 153536

View attachment 153537

View attachment 153538

View attachment 153539

Screenshot_20180122-155415.jpg

The prior owner of my 2015 PIU did the speaker covers and let me tell you, it looked GHETTO. Everyone who rode in the back of my Explorer always commented on my 1980's speakers. lol.

Hence why I swapped to the civi door panels which was a cheap upgrade.

Not sure about all of them but this was the case in mine. Maybe yours too. If you care.

my kids were complaining that they couldn’t hear the music. So I grabbed some speakers at the pick and pull and was going to install them. I was hoping they had connectors but was ready to run speaker wire if I had to. Pulled the door skin and what to my wondering eyes should appear? There are speakers in there! There are just no grilles in the door card. There is a pattern on the back for drilling. So I drilled out the holes and covered the whole panel in speaker cover material. I didn’t remove anything from the door card. Some super 77 spray adhesive and a screwdriver to tuck the edge behind the panel.

I have pictures but I have no online hosting.

I have pictures but I have no online hosting.
Online hosting is free. Imgur.com

I know this site wants to sell memberships, but you'd think there would be a stickied thread on how to post images (with and without a membership) as it seems to come up quite frequently.

I figured out the pictures.

nathansmith50.....your thread was merged with this one identified above by Jason.

Peter

So I see. In any case. This is a nice in between. It looks, in my opinion, better than just holes or retail speaker grilles and it is a lot cheaper than new door panels.

I figured out the pictures.
Would you mind reposting a couple pics? They don't appear to be working and I was curious how you finished the edges of the fabric.

Would you mind reposting a couple pics? They don't appear to be working and I was curious how you finished the edges of the fabric.
let me see if i can remember how i did the pics before.

Now i can't remember how i did it before. maybe just posting the link?

Thanks @nathansmith50 i didn’t realize there was that much of a gap to stuff the fabric in there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Thanks @nathansmith50 i didn’t realize there was that much of a gap to stuff the fabric in there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Another step I neglected to mention, I think, I sprayed the whole panel that is covered with spray adhesive first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting ready to do the 5/16" hole trick. I really only listen to Audible (audio books) on my way to work, but having the rear speakers muffled behind the panel is irritating.

None of the other pictures in the thread are working except in the original post, but I plan to use some spray adhesive and this speaker cloth:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3YS99J/?tag=serious-20

I'll post after pics when I do it.

Back