Non-Sport excessive brake pedal travel and weak brakes?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Non-Sport excessive brake pedal travel and weak brakes??

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2018 XLT where I noticed the brake pedal travels a bit more than I'd like (not spongy, just lots of travel) and the brakes aren't very effective. I thought it was just mine, but I asked two other XLT owners and they noted the same things. My XLT had only 4 miles on it from the dealership so it's not like it was due to glazing or something. The one Platinum owner I asked said his brakes feel fine, but I figure the Sport and Platinums have different master cylinders tuned for better brake feel, etc... Maybe its because I'm used to the SHO, Fusion Sport, and some other performance cars that have "sport tuned" master cylinders and going to a normal XLT requires practice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 16 XLT has great brakes. So I don't know
What I seems to remember ( but you need to verify) is that my car has the HD ( heavy duty) braking system but for 18 and for the Base and XLT models, Ford went back to the regular, non HD system

One person has a 16 XLT and said their brake travel was excessive. I have the Class 3 towing package and you'd think that would come with the better brakes. My XLT will jerk a little when the AC kicks on, like I needed to apply more pressure to the brake pedal. During sudden braking I have to mash the pedal down with a bit more than normal force. Again it doesn't feel like spongy brakes or air in the system.

Looking at the 17 order guide and 18 order guides, the 18 XLT now has standard rear calipers while the fronts are still HD. So 17 and prior had HD rear calipers. I never realized that would make such a big difference. I don't really feel confident with the 18 braking.

My 16 XLT has great brakes. So I don't know
What I seems to remember ( but you need to verify) is that my car has the HD ( heavy duty) braking system but for 18 and for the Base and XLT models, Ford went back to the regular, non HD system
As metroplex mentioned above, the 2018 Order Guide shows this as the only "Mechanical Change"; Standard Duty Rear Brake Calipers are standard on XLT.

Peter

I can't imagine the rear calipers making all that difference in braking? It just feels like I need to apply a lot of pressure on the pedal and the long travel just takes even more away from braking confidence.

I’ve got a 2018 XLT. No complaints about the brakes so far. The pedal travel seems about typical for a non-performance oriented Ford, and it stops at least as good as our 2017 Escape, which is quite a bit lighter. I did notice the change to standard duty rears on the XLT (typical Ford, cheaping on brakes towards the end of a platform), but I didn’t notice any difference from the base I test drove without heavy duty fronts, so I doubt it harmed day to day performance like something truly cheap like swapping to drums (ehem, earlier Taurus and Escape models). Probably either something mechanical, or just you being used to previous vehicles you’ve driven?

2 other people noted the same long pedal travel on their XLT's (2016 and a 2012), one person said his Platinum was fine, and another person's Sport was fine. The person that had the 2016 XLT isn't a gearhead but her significant other is a gearhead and said yes, the brake pedal travel was much longer than normal and not as effective. All of these individuals own "normal" vehicles typically (non-performance). I've had rental sub-compacts with better brake feel and performance.

The Sport/Platinum front brakes look like the same setup as the SHO (cooling vanes facing the outside, larger rotors) which is what I had for over 4 years. I just feel my 18 XLT's brake pedal travel coupled with the friction material that doesn't seem to grip as well, doesn't add to braking confidence. I don't believe it is heat rejection, as the brakes don't feel good when they're cold either. Like I said earlier, if I'm stopped at a light and the A/C kicks on and my foot isn't firmly on the pedal, the Explorer actually jerks a little like it was fighting the brakes. Especially if it is cold and my idle speed is higher than normal, the Explorer will creep if I'm not firmly on the brake pedal.

I'm starting to get used to the brakes, mainly by riding them a bit more to heat them up before I have to stop and or slamming on them harder ahead of when I normally would need to brake. The last non-performance Ford brakes I had were the 2000 Crown Victoria (Handling/Perf package which used the same standard brakes) and the 2007 Mustang GT (nothing special about them, 2 piston sliding front, single piston rears, factory Akebono ceramics) and both provided some level of confidence without having to do a lot of these things.

........ Like I said earlier, if I'm stopped at a light and the A/C kicks on and my foot isn't firmly on the pedal, the Explorer actually jerks a little like it was fighting the brakes. Especially if it is cold and my idle speed is higher than normal, the Explorer will creep if I'm not firmly on the brake pedal......
When the A/C kicked in on my 2014 MKT and my current 2017 Explorer, there is no perceptible increase in RPM. Others have noticed that as well on theirs. If your A/C coming on makes it feel like it's "fighting the brakes", then something is wrong.

Peter

I'd bleed the brakes just to make sure there's no air in the lines, and if that doesn't resolve it, or you prefer to have someone else look at it, take it to a dealership or trusted mechanic. My '14 XLT brakes fine, does not have hair trigger brakes but no excessive pedal travel nor jerking forward with A/C or higher cold idle.

How long has this been happening at this point? Is it possible you ran through a puddle of oil on the road or something? I mean if the brakes were a concern with it brand new off the lot, I wouldn't have accepted delivery.

You're always better off insisting everything is *right* on a vehicle before you accept it rather than playing around with taking it to them to fix it later, and you can test drive another one on the lot, back to back to compare the two.

I just got it a few weeks ago. Off the lot, I figured it was just a non-performance Ford that was heavy. But the more I asked around, it seemed like it was a common perception from the local XLT owners where it has a longer brake pedal travel. The only Explorer owners that didn't complain had the SHO/Platinum/Sport front brakes (larger rotors, inverted cooling vanes, etc...) and of course the suspension that comes with those models. I just feel the brakes could have been better for such a large vehicle.
I also can't adjust my brake pedal position and I find my toe hits the steering shaft or whatever is under the dash, kind of like a M-ATV but that shouldn't affect the pedal travel.

^ There shouldn't be that much difference noticed between HD and regular brakes. They are not set up to be some kind of hair trigger sporty feel. You should never notice a difference except under extreme driving or hauling or towing a load, maybe less fade going down long hills.

Could be that they're ceramic pads, which IMO is a good thing, and were never broken in properly and will take a few more dozen miles to seat well against the rotors. You didn't mention how many miles are on them now.

The pedal shouldn't travel much yet it depends on what you compare against. You should still have plenty of stopping power before the pedal bottoms out.

I'd take the front wheels off (first) and examine the rotors then bleed them as already mentioned, make sure the caliper bolts are on tight too, no binding on the caliper rails that the pads slide on.

It would be unusual for such a new vehicle to have any problems with these things, but it's not just a regular vs HD brake system difference. There is no improvement needed for the standard duty brakes if you're not doing something heavy duty.

My Limited has OK bite, if not great. Tonight I started to notice that they're starting to feel a little tired, but I also just slid over 36,000 miles.

If me, I'd go back to the dealer and compare against another 2018 model.

............ The only Explorer owners that didn't complain had the SHO/Platinum/Sport front brakes (larger rotors, inverted cooling vanes, etc...) and of course the suspension that comes with those models...............
The only Explorer with a different suspension is the Sport.

I have a 2018 XLT...
... I figure the Sport and Platinums have different master cylinders tuned for better brake feel, etc...

Rock Auto shows the same master cylinder for all the engine choices on a 2017. They haven't populated the product listings for the 2018 master cylinders yet. They also show the same Centric aftermarket MC part # at the 2nd link. They also show all 2017 have the same power brake booster.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT BRMC236

More Information for CENTRIC 13065140

If this is also true for the 2018, it should be less of a hassle and expense for you to change the calipers, brackets, and rotors to Heavy Duty if you want to, without having to mess with the master cylinder or booster.

Replacing calipers, you'd be bleeding the lines anyway, but they won't matter if yours has a problem with the factory master cylinder.

Sport and Platinum share the same springs and shocks/struts, along with the Police Interceptor Utility.
There has always been some controversy about this. Looking at the parts lists the numbers are the same except for the end letter designation. The PIU and the Platinum have exactly the same number for the springs and struts but the Sport has a different 'letter'. Not sure how important the 'letter' designation is but I'd think if all parts were exactly the same, the part numbers would be as well. In looking at it further, it appears all Explorers share the same part number with only the 'letter' designation changing on the different trims. Thus I'm guessing that the 'letter' determines which trim level the part is for.

Peter

I saw a Limited in the parking lot with the same front rotors as the Sport with the Heavy Duty 352mm rotors. Is this only available on the Limited and not the XLT? It seems odd given that I have the XLT with Towing Package but standard duty brakes, no additional trans cooler, and no PTU cooler (but it does have an engine oil cooler).

All Explorers built after a certain date in December 2012 were fitted with the same HD brakes as were used on the Sport. If you check out the following site you will see that the only rotors for your XLT are HD rotors. BTW, the part number for the rotors GG1Z-1125-A is the same for all 2018 trims. Front Brakes for 2018 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

My XLT doesn't use the HD rotors. It came with the SD rotors. Build date was 31 OCT 2017.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe that is something you should take up with your dealer as SD brakes do not appear to be what should be on it. Perhaps someone else can add to this if I'm missing some info.
Even Ford parts shows the same rotor (disc) 1125 being used. It does show a SD and HD configuration but the parts seem to be the same. Search Catalog Results for parts.ford.com

Peter

Back