Wheel Spacers | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

What wheels did you go with?
Post up some pics & specs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_5315_zps4p1t4nyz.jpg

IMG_5316_zpsts5zaicp.jpg

IMG_5314_zpsdw1shmg8.jpg

Wheel spacers are great until one day you are driving down the road and your vehicle starts wobbling violently..... then you pull over and realize your lugnuts are loose...

Resist the wheel spacers and just get appropriately sized rims. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Spacers are different than adapters. Spacers sit between your wheel and hub and reduce the turns you get with the lugnuts (not safe over a certain width). Adapters attach to your hub, then the wheel attaches to it.

Most people here are talking about adapters, which are just as likely to fall off as an normal wheel would be. That is- very unlikely- provided you get good quality machined adapters, and install and retorque them properly.

here's how my adapters, along with h&r springs, closed the gap quite nicely IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_3978 (2).jpg
    IMG_3978 (2).jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_3983 (2).jpg
    IMG_3983 (2).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_3981 (2).jpg
    IMG_3981 (2).jpg
    427 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_3980 (2).jpg
    IMG_3980 (2).jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 2,422

Spacers

Hey guys, anyone running spacers? I am installing 5mm on the fronts and 10mm on the rears. I am pretty sure I am going to need extended studs, does anyone know what factory size is? I think I just need something 10mm longer for the spacer size? I am debating on whether or not to get any for the front (5mm). Spacers will be in tomorrow for test fitment.

Let me know if anyone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Using the Forum's 'Search' feature on "spacers" it was easy to find this thread. Yours has been merged with it.

"Search" is your friend.:thumbsup:

Peter

as far as I know next step is 3" and you can cut them shorter. With a steel wheel you might get away without them because the wheel hub is thinner than aluminum but always need to double check. All the 5MM spacers I've done I felt it wasn't safe using the factory length studs and will strip off.

I would go to your local Ford dealer and ask if the front and rear studs have the same part number, if they do buy just one stud and measure the splined diameter at the back and buy comparable 1/2" diameter "Moroso" brand studs if in doubt always get the larger diameter spline not the smaller because they may wobble and press them in DO NOT USE THE WHEEL NUTS TO DRAW THEM IN, they may loosen later on or damage them even though the chance is slim. ARP studs are about 3 times the price. Stick with billet machined spacers not cheap cast ones, they may break and lose a wheel.

Hey guys, anyone running spacers? I am installing 5mm on the fronts and 10mm on the rears. I am pretty sure I am going to need extended studs, does anyone know what factory size is? I think I just need something 10mm longer for the spacer size? I am debating on whether or not to get any for the front (5mm). Spacers will be in tomorrow for test fitment.

Let me know if anyone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

So I got wheel adapters for my 2016 explorer. 3/4 for the front and 1" for the back. Has anybody had any experience with these?? They won't seem to work with my car because the holes in the back of the wheel aren't deep enough for the oem lugs to sit in. I wonder if this is just a problem with the 2016 wheel style?

So I got these wheel adapters for my 2016 explorer. 3/4 for the front and 1" for the back. Has anybody had any experience with these?? They won't seem to work with my car because the holes in the back of the wheel aren't deep enough for the oem lugs to sit in. I wonder if this is just a problem with the 2016 wheel style?

15073578_10210961186883113_7650217248306380028_n.jpg

I am hoping someone can answer your question as I am fixin on ordering spacers for my 15 sport and want to push the factory wheels out a little for just a little poke.. My summer rims 'FUEL Assults' have a nice poke.. want same with my factory rims winter tires

You have to cut the factory studs flush with the adapters so that your wheels make full contact with the hub.

So I got these wheel adapters for my 2016 explorer. 3/4 for the front and 1" for the back. Has anybody had any experience with these?? They won't seem to work with my car because the holes in the back of the wheel aren't deep enough for the oem lugs to sit in. I wonder if this is just a problem with the 2016 wheel style?

15073578_10210961186883113_7650217248306380028_n.jpg

Im selling my Bora wheel spacers. $200 shipped. 3/4 in the front 1 inch in the rear! Im not looking to cut my OEM studs, i'm just going to buy new wheels.

15232269_10211100554527217_5267033815831251349_n.jpg

What brand spacers did you go with? Do you have part numbers? Thinking about doing the same with mine.

Brosiph

Motorsport Technology (775) 351-1000
Email: motorsportjr@gmail.com

5mm front
10mm rear

They custom milled them, ask for Lenny. If you need some new studs I have a set of ARP studs that you will need to replace your factory studs with. Let me know if you want to get them off me.

Post moved from another thread.

What brand spacers did you go with? Do you have part numbers? Thinking about doing the same with mine.

Brosiph
You may want to read post 9 and those that follow about possible premature wheel bearing failure using spacers.

Peter

You may want to read post 9 and those that follow about possible premature wheel bearing failure using spacers.

Peter

A 5 or 10mm spacer will not have such adverse effect on what you are referencing. Something with a larger spacing could however.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the cheapest place to buy quality wheel spacers/adapters?
I would like to go 1"in the back and .75"

Back