1999 Limited transmission problem, help appreciated. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Limited transmission problem, help appreciated.

fcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 V8 Limited
I have a 99 Explorer limited with 5.0L engine and the 4R70W transmission, has 140,000 miles on it.

Not had any engine or transmission lights on however its started what i would call slipping. Changes in all gears are very smooth and quick going up and down, problem arises when im doing between 40 and 50 and start to go uphill (does it on the flat too but not as bad), it judders and feels like the transmission is slipping, if i kick it down a gear it works fine, just seems to be between 40 and 50 mainly uphills .

Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last time it was serviced?

With the exception of a flush and filter change 10k ago im not sure it has!

Either a misfire or torque converter shudder. If you gently touch the brake and it goes away you have TC shudder. This is usually from fluid breakdown. Did you tow? If it persists after a total fluid flush you may need to add Dr. Tranny Shudder fix. Weird name but it works.

Thanks for the info, no never towed anything. Will let you know, thanks again

I have a 99 Explorer limited with 5.0L engine and the 4R70W transmission, has 140,000 miles on it.

Not had any engine or transmission lights on however its started what i would call slipping. Changes in all gears are very smooth and quick going up and down, problem arises when im doing between 40 and 50 and start to go uphill (does it on the flat too but not as bad), it judders and feels like the transmission is slipping, if i kick it down a gear it works fine, just seems to be between 40 and 50 mainly uphills .

Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing the problem.
@fcat
My 5R55S began having similar symptoms, a sort of shudder under average throtthle conditions only in O/D (5th.) gear. I backed off thge O/D band adjustment screw, re-torqued it, then backed it off 1/2 turn less than Shop Manual suggests. Shudder gone. Obviously, a worn-out O/D band, bought some time......

Should add that the Ford Manual states back-off 2 turns for truck, 1-1/2 turns for cars. It did 1-1/2.
Is it a car or truck????? imp

@fcat
My 5R55S began having similar symptoms, a sort of shudder under average throtthle conditions only in O/D (5th.) gear. I backed off thge O/D band adjustment screw, re-torqued it, then backed it off 1/2 turn less than Shop Manual suggests. Shudder gone. Obviously, a worn-out O/D band, bought some time......

Should add that the Ford Manual states back-off 2 turns for truck, 1-1/2 turns for cars. It did 1-1/2.
Is it a car or truck????? imp

Thanks, is the screw on the exterior of the transmission case or does the pan need to be dropped?

Thanks, is the screw on the exterior of the transmission case or does the pan need to be dropped?
@fcat
Exterior. Fairly easy to get to without removing much hardware. imp

@fcat
Exterior. Fairly easy to get to without removing much hardware. imp
No adjustable bands on the 4r70w. Once the 55 series needs band adjustment there are likely servo issues. That is what a shop told me about band adjustment. Like you said, buying time.

No adjustable bands on the 4r70w. Once the 55 series needs band adjustment there are likely servo issues. That is what a shop told me about band adjustment. Like you said, buying time.
@96eb96
Ah, no bands. I learn everyday. Thought 4R70W was a spin off of E4OD, which I think has bands. At any rate, had I waited until actual out and out slippage happened, tightening would be useless. Thought about just driving it w/o OD! imp

@96eb96
Ah, no bands. I learn everyday. Thought 4R70W was a spin off of E4OD, which I think has bands. At any rate, had I waited until actual out and out slippage happened, tightening would be useless. Thought about just driving it w/o OD! imp
4R70W is related to the AOD, which came out in 1980.

I dropped the pan ( and drained the torque converter) this afternoon refilled with new fluid, added 2oz of Dr Tranny and installed a new filter. I'd say 75% of the problem has gone, still the odd splutter/slip, i'm gonna change the two coil packs tomorrow as I checked them this afternoon and one bank had a vastly different reading to the others, will see how she performs then. I read a few posts saying that Dr Tranny stuff takes a while to work too.

I dropped the pan ( and drained thetorue converter) this afternoon refilled with new fluid, added 2oz of Dr Tranny and installed a new filter. I'd say 75% of the problem has gone, still the odd splutter/slip, i'm gonna change the two coil packs tomorrow as I checked them this afternoon and one bank had a vastly different reading to the others, will see how she performs then. I read a few posts saying that Dr Tranny stuff takes a while to work too.
Yeah, misfires can be worse than torque converter shudder. During that partial lockup any misfires become apparent because the clutch is designed to slip maybe 5-10 RPM for NVH and fuel reasons. You can actually see it on a scan tool. Any non contributing cylinders will really rear their head. The Dr tranny could mask it a bit. Won't hurt to put that stuff in either way. Good thing is that trans is almost indestructible.

4R70W is related to the AOD, which came out in 1980.
@96eb96
OK, then it must be a newer version of AODE which followed AOD. I believe AODE stil used mechanical engine-to-input shaft in 3rd. and 4th., just as AOD did, no TCC. Then 4R70W must have a TCC.

I swapped the new coils over this afternoon and just got back from a test drive and with this, changing the transmission fluid and adding the Dr Tranny it seems to have cured my problem! thanks for the help and the replies.

You said the trans flush was 10k miles ago. Was this the first?

I waited too long to do my first trans fluid change and had to deal with the effects. If you have 'sludge' buildup, a fresh fluid change introduces detergents that start to break it down. If a big enough piece breaks off, it can clog a fluid path and cause slipping.

It took me two more fluid changes to clear it out.

I'm glad to hear you got it working back to normal. As said, the 4R70W is very reliable for a long time, way more than the V6 transmissions, or the AOD it's descended from. Full fluid changes are the best basic servicing, with high quality fluid, and I prefer Lubegard as an additive(for all automatics). More symptoms would suggest replacing all of the solenoids, which are all old at this point. Sonnax makes great small improvement parts, also wise maintenance, and a shift kit is available in a few versions.

@96eb96
OK, then it must be a newer version of AODE which followed AOD. I believe AODE stil used mechanical engine-to-input shaft in 3rd. and 4th., just as AOD did, no TCC. Then 4R70W must have a TCC.

The AOD was redesigned into the AODE, which has a lock up converter, one input shaft, and a wider OD band(no adjustment(three OD pistons are available(different lengths))). The 4R70W is an improvement of the AODE, with a different planetary set, which moves 1st and 2nd gear lower(away from the same 3rd/4th of the AOD/AODE). That's the wide ratio gear set. The AOD has a big rpm drop going into 3rd because of the lock up direct drive input shaft.

The 4R70W has a big rpm drop going into 3rd because of the wide ratio gears. I'm about to build a 4R for my 92 Lincoln, with AODE planetary etc, which will make the gears the same as the AOD(close ratio). That's the best combination for acceleration, keep the rpm's close, like the 5R55E does. The 5R55E has five gears spread over the same range as the AOD. The later 5R55W spreads the gears over a wider range, the 1st gear is relatively very low(about 3.22:1).

@CDW6212R Thank you for the info! I had figured since they continued use of the letters "AOD", they had not added a TCC. When I installed a '92 Mustang 5.0 HO and AOD in my '79 Ranchero, I was yet unawares of the AOD's foibles. The shift from 2 to 3 was terrible, almost like shutting the engine off! It had come with something like 2.69 gears. I happened to have a 3.50 ring and pinion laying around, so I threw them in that 9-inch. Vast improvement. Truck ran like a top. imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Ranchero has 4.11's in it at the moment; I was planning a 351C-2V and an AOD. Someone stole the original C6 and a spare AOD I bought, time passed, and now I'm figuring a 3.50 gear and the 4R will be a good combo.

Back