• Register Today It's free!

crankshaft sensor location ?

anderson532

Reaction score
City, State
milnor north dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
I just bought a 1992 ford explorer sport 5spd 4.0l I paid almost nothing for it and body is in good shape he put new alternator in it new coil pack in it and a new ignition module in still no spark must be crankshaft sensor ?? cant find a video anywhere thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Passenger side front of the engine near the crank pulley below the water hose that goes to the heater core, you'll see notches on the crank pulley that are read by the sensor.

The wiring runs up the front of the engine and ties into the harness near the water temp sensors, it is prone to damage so you may want to perform some circuit checked between the crank sensor and the ICM before replacing the sensor.

i replaced ignition module and enitire computer with one that runs still nothing. not sure what i am supposed to test. for constant power or??

The PIP (profile ignition pickup) sensor is a hall effect sensor; google hall effect sensor testing and there are a couple of videos on the topic.

With a multimeter across the sensor leads (I would test at the IDM to verify wiring integrity and avoid being near any moving parts) my information shows that it show 0.3-1.2 volts AC when cranking.

Stepping back for a moment - you have verified powers / ground at the PCM / IDM and checked to make sure this isn't a lose / faulty pcm power relay or something like that? (It feeds power to both the PCM and IDM)

Back