• Register Today It's free!

Third Brake light Flash

haas_chris

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited AWD
Curious if anyone has installed a "BackOff" module on their third brake light? I saw the video below and started looking for something on a sport but couldn't find anything. Trying to see if any of you have done this and what the outcome was? I am stuck between thinking it would be cool and thinking it would be kind of stupid!? LOL I like the idea of the "mode 2" where it would flash the light 5 times then it will stay constant as long as you press the brakes. Mode 1 is more of a constant flash as long as you are pressing the brake. I've seen these installed on quite a bit of motorcycles and it definitely gets your attention when you are behind them.

Here's the product

https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Dynam...e=UTF8&qid=1517176641&sr=8-3&keywords=backoff

And here's the video I came across (I tried to link it to start around 4:45 to bypass their install instructions)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find these very annoying in stop and go traffic.... since you are asking.

Valid points, however I feel the annoyance factor on other drivers is a little bit of proof of concept that these work for getting people behind you attention so they don't rear end you. I seen recent discussion on another thread where someone posted an alternate item that actually changes the flash pattern based on brake pressure (G-force I am assuming). I am going to look into that version to see if "normal braking" (stop and go traffic) could be standard, and emergency braking cause it to flash?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHPPH2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this on my 2011 CRZ for 18 months, and just put one on my 02 Explorer Monday night.

It's programmable with a lot more "modes" and importantly, it has an accelerometer to re-flash the lights if you have to slam on the brakes after the light is on steady. I.E. coasting off the highway, you step on the pedal and the light flashes 5x and stays on. Halfway up the off ramp, a deer runs out and you stand on the brakes - it flashes again.

It's also a lot smaller (about the size of a quarter) and $5 cheaper than the one you linked to. The only drawback is that the setup is pretty tedious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHPPH2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this on my 2011 CRZ for 18 months, and just put one on my 02 Explorer Monday night.

It's programmable with a lot more "modes" and importantly, it has an accelerometer to re-flash the lights if you have to slam on the brakes after the light is on steady. I.E. coasting off the highway, you step on the pedal and the light flashes 5x and stays on. Halfway up the off ramp, a deer runs out and you stand on the brakes - it flashes again.

It's also a lot smaller (about the size of a quarter) and $5 cheaper than the one you linked to. The only drawback is that the setup is pretty tedious.
I ended up ordering one today similar to the one you posted. Hoping it will work out for me. Might play with some installation this weekend.

Any updates?
I ended up ordering one today similar to the one you posted. Hoping it will work out for me. Might play with some installation this weekend.

Any updates?
Unfortunately it’s sitting in the package on a shelf in the garage for a week now! Haven’t made the time to install. I looked briefly one evening hoping the brake light had some screws on the exterior to remove. After the quick look it appears I need to remove the trim on the rear hatch to access the light/wiring.

Also ordered one the other week, still waiting on it to arrive. I also ordered a LED bar that usually goes on the back of a pickup truck that shows turn signals, brake lights etc, and was thinking if I can figure out a good way to install it (as the explorer is no truck) I'll put the flasher on the brake wire there instead. I'll update when I've gotten further.

Also ordered one the other week, still waiting on it to arrive. I also ordered a LED bar that usually goes on the back of a pickup truck that shows turn signals, brake lights etc, and was thinking if I can figure out a good way to install it (as the explorer is no truck) I'll put the flasher on the brake wire there instead. I'll update when I've gotten further.
Please post a video of the installation and operation!

Thanks.

Please post a video of the installation and operation!

Thanks.

I'll try, but in case you want something a bit more "professional", you can already see a video of it being installed (on a F-150) and operated on YouTube, jump to the ~9:40 mark to see the bar in action. As for the module, there's a video of that being programmed and action of it here at the bottom of the page.

I'll try, but in case you want something a bit more "professional", you can already see a video of it being installed (on a F-150) and operated on YouTube, jump to the ~9:40 mark to see the bar in action. As for the module, there's a video of that being programmed and action of it here at the bottom of the page.

I am not as interested in the LED bar as I am in the flasher. The flasher video talks about installing it on the CHMSL. Can it be put into the brake circuit so all 3 brake lights go on? Where are you wiring this in? I'm not mechanically inclined but I can replace a light switch. Would I be able to do this?

I haven't looked into this in a while, but I seem to recall a few years ago that the general consensus was that flashing/strobing brake lights were pretty much not legal in the US. Mercedes tested them in the US some time ago and they concluded that they were essentially useless and didn't pursue DOT approval to offer them.

I realize brake light modulators are sold all over the place and people do buy and use them, but I would definitely check your state/local laws and any state/local laws where you may travel just to be sure you are GTG.

As an aside, in MI, people using headlight modulators had been ticketed in the past. The state police issued several clarifications on what was allowed and not allowed. It was eventually codified into law, but I believe the out is "Devices that increase above normal intensity, or are easily confused with an emergency vehicle light, are not in compliance with the federal standard and are prohibited." In other words, if the cop wants to cause you pain, he/she can and although you may eventually beat the rap, you won't beat the ride. I am sure it is much the same in other states, but in MI, enforcement for stuff like this (aftermarket lighting, tint, exhaust, etc...) seems to be vary from area to area and even among different officers within the same area.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and be safe out there.

Back