2008-2010 any timing chain issues 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008-2010 any timing chain issues 4.0

Littleant

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer 4.0
Hi folks. Just wondering if anyone is having timing chain issues with your 2008-2010 (4.0). I have a 2010 mountaineer 4.0 with 68,000 miles in mint condition. No issues. Service every 4-5,000 miles. Just wondering if the timing issues was resolved or does it still effect's the latter 4.0 Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi folks. Just wondering if anyone is having timing chain issues with your 2008-2010 (4.0). I have a 2010 mountaineer 4.0 with 68,000 miles in mint condition. No issues. Service every 4-5,000 miles. Just wondering if the timing issues was resolved or does it still effect's the latter 4.0 Thank you
I’ve heard they never truly fixed it. I had a 97 and now a 2010 with the 4l sohc and have been fortunate. I also always change my oil every 3-4K. I believe that helps a lot. I’ve been told the 2010s are easier to change the tensioners on so I plan on doing those every 90k or so.

I’ve heard they never truly fixed it. I had a 97 and now a 2010 with the 4l sohc and have been fortunate. I also always change my oil every 3-4K. I believe that helps a lot. I’ve been told the 2010s are easier to change the tensioners on so I plan on doing those every 90k or so.
Thank you. You are right service is everything on the 4.0

Thank you. You are right service is everything on the 4.0
You bet! I also use full synthetic too. I think it helps the tensioners in cold weather because it doesn’t get as hard.

You bet! I also use full synthetic too. I think it helps the tensioners in cold weather because it doesn’t get as hard.
I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 synthetic. I do not use in the winter. Up here in Vermont it would rust out. So much road salt.

EXPLORER_PL are you still out there? I could really use your insight if you wouldn't mind replying or even sending me a message.

THANK YOU

I am still here.

I can't offer much of advice re: 4.0 timing.
I have had my 4.6 v8 for almost 11 years and I had that thing apart few times and out of the truck as well.

My son's 07 with the v6 is a new one to us, and bedsides the tranny going south at 117k (that's how we bought it), I did not touch the engine yet.

I am hearing some noises and the idle is uneven sometimes, but can really pinpoint that on the timing components so in my case the timing is still intact at 125k.

My only opinion about that engine is that with 4 chains and no set marks or keys on the shafts, I would probably replace the whole motor which would be easier, or pull it out and have someone do the timing for me and save on the R&R part at least.

Tech by trade. I hear you. Read your post on the sport trac. Manufacturer's can never leave it alone when they get it right.. Ford 289-302-351-460 great engines. C4-C4 trans. We are the Ginnie pigs. So have you come across any late model 4.0 that have hit 200,000 on the timing chains on a well maintained 4.0

My dad has one in a ranger that is still humming along. bought it from the factory the month after I bought mine. He is a heavy duty diesel mechanic by trade, and a full time farmer and has done every oil change since purchase with synthetic 10w 30 oil. It's still running strong with no issues or startup rattle. He is pushing 300k Kms. One of the few.

Thank you good to know your dad has those results. Give your dad a big thank you for being the backbone of our country. Farmers Hardest working people I know

*I APOLOGIZE EVERYONE FOR BEING OFF FORUM/THREAD TOPIC HOWEVER THIS is the ONLY WAY I COULD GET AHOLD OF EXPLORER_PL. WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.*
OH THANK YOU!!! It's not about timing but it wouldn't let me start a conversation with you so I couldn't just ask about my direct issue. However, the night I stumbled across this forum again, when I clicked your username, it said you had viewed this forum within 28 minutes. SO, on awing & a prayer, desperately hoping for guidance, I decided to post that message. THAT SAID, If you do not mind, since YOU are an elite, are you able (& willing) to PLEASE message me? I'd be GRATEFUL!

I am still here.

I can't offer much of advice re: 4.0 timing.
I have had my 4.6 v8 for almost 11 years and I had that thing apart few times and out of the truck as well.

My son's 07 with the v6 is a new one to us, and bedsides the tranny going south at 117k (that's how we bought it), I did not touch the engine yet.

I am hearing some noises and the idle is uneven sometimes, but can really pinpoint that on the timing components so in my case the timing is still intact at 125k.

My only opinion about that engine is that with 4 chains and no set marks or keys on the shafts, I would probably replace the whole motor which would be easier, or pull it out and have someone do the timing for me and save on the R&R part at least.

Just started a conversation.

My sploder has 200000 and afaik hasn't had timing components replaced

Tech by trade. I hear you. Read your post on the sport trac. Manufacturer's can never leave it alone when they get it right.. Ford 289-302-351-460 great engines. C4-C4 trans. We are the Ginnie pigs. So have you come across any late model 4.0 that have hit 200,000 on the timing chains on a well maintained 4.0
My 1997 4.0 sohc had 210k miles on the clock when I sold it with no rattle ever.

I'm the original owner of an '09 SOHC that just turned 275K miles. Only recently begun to hear the rattle upon moderate to hard acceleration. That's why I'm here. Trying to see if I can diagnose and fix the issue without a huge bill.

Other than the regular intervals of belts, pulleys, tensioners, plugs, wires, and at 230K, a coil and alternator, the engine is all original except for what seems like a 55 gal. drum of Mobil 1 that has flowed thru it.

Thanks donalds, and to streetrod for posting the info. Maybe this weekend i can find the time to run thru all those scenarios to locate the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

212,000 on my 2007 4.0. Purchased it with 150,000 on it. No issues other than sway bar links, wheel bearings and an axle seal. I don't know if the previous owner ever had the timing chains replaced, but she's been truckin along smoothly.

Is there a known mileage they fail around or is it just rolling the dice?

Back