2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question

There's an additional seal between light bulb socket and lens, so there should be no issues with a slit in the dust cap; or completely removing it.
Awesome, I wanted to make sure before I ruined a housing lol. Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I have one other question. I was unable to find anything in the search feature. Anyone know if the high beams in a 2016 are negative or positive switched? Need to know this because I might add on wig wags to my X.

We don't get a lot of rain here (thou when it DOES rain, it's often a lot :) ) so I wasn't as concerned with the slit since it has the additional seal. I also was open to the slit (that sounds bad) as with the heat here I thought this can only help... plus I don't run highbeams all that often and especially for prolonged amounts of time.

I guess I have one other question. I was unable to find anything in the search feature. Anyone know if the high beams in a 2016 are negative or positive switched? Need to know this because I might add on wig wags to my X.

I had to install the LED bulbs "upside down" the get them to work, so I'm thinking that means that the are negative switched.

I just installed LEDs today to replace stock halogens... I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6NZ6F2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty easy upgrade and everything fit fine, replaced the rubber cover and got everything tucked in with little trouble.

I like the upgrade to match the low beam LEDs, although I can't say these are any brighter overall compared to the stock halogens bulbs... hope they last, 3 three warranty and for under $45 figured why not?

Thanks to the guidance from previous posts within this thread, made this really simple.

...........I like the upgrade to match the low beam LEDs, although I can't say these are any brighter overall compared to the stock halogens bulbs.........
This may explain why.
When using a halogen headlight bulb, a reflector directs and amplifies the light (the bulbs are omnidirectional and the reflector will bounce the light forward). If you replace the halogen bulb with an LED and the LED bulbs you choose don’t have a reflector system or another means of properly directing/focusing the light where you need it, you might not get the best illumination.
Headlight housings are specifically manufactured for the type of OEM bulb the manufacturer plans to use. To do a proper conversion, the reflector must also be changed to match the type of bulb to be used.

Peter

This may explain why.
When using a halogen headlight bulb, a reflector directs and amplifies the light (the bulbs are omnidirectional and the reflector will bounce the light forward). If you replace the halogen bulb with an LED and the LED bulbs you choose don’t have a reflector system or another means of properly directing/focusing the light where you need it, you might not get the best illumination.
Headlight housings are specifically manufactured for the type of OEM bulb the manufacturer plans to use. To do a proper conversion, the reflector must also be changed to match the type of bulb to be used.

Peter

This is a semi false statement. In reflectors - like projectors - are designed around the location of the light generation - and the area to be illuminated. Not so much a care about how the light is generated. IF a LED bulb was to put the light field in the same geometric spot as the bulb it replaced then the reflector would still work as intended. Same thing is a projector. It's about the areas and angles not the chemistry of the light producer. A bulb maker wishing to keep a DOT rating for their product would take this into account. Hell anyone wanting to make a quality product would take this into account.

high beams have a much wider field of illumination to cover vs requirements on low beams. as such they have to spread out the light more. Also when you color shift the apparent intensity doesn't quite look the same. So without a meter to gage it by you might be surprised at the lux at distance. Further way bluer white light looks dimmer

First thing I consider with a LED bulb swap is if the bulb using multiple emitters or just one larger one - if just a large one does it line up with the filament of the replacement. If not I pass. Geometry is a big deal here. if it uses multiple emitters are the aligned to provide an even field. IE multiple emitters work great for tail lights or side markers or blinkers - IE unfocused light. Single big emitters are typically good for focused light. Fogs, lows, highs.

I have changed my high beams to LED. It is an amazing difference on our 2 lane rural highway. The halogens were useless for trying to see deer and what's up ahead on the road. The LED's are very good don't know if they have quite the distance of my previous HID's but it is real close.
So what is the secret?

Has anyone found any good license plate leds that don't cause interference on the backup camera?

I ordered mine from superbrightled.com. The 4000k set. They look good and are quality. The first ones I had came with the puddle light upgrades from drivebright.com. Those were low quality and began to flicker, but the puddle lights are great.

I had no issue getting the dust seals back on the housing (all the wiring and connectors were pushed back down in the housing itself). As was mentioned earlier, my hands were a bit large for getting good leverage, so, channel lock pliers helped a bit. I did the high beam swap mainly for the color match. No before/after pics, however, they seem about the same effectiveness as the OEM halogens, but, look much better. Here is the actual bulbs I used from Amazon and I have used this particular manufacturer before for my other cars /motorcycles and I have been impressed with the light output and quality.
https://www.amazon.ca/NIGHTEYE-Head...=1517923546&sr=8-8&keywords=nighteye+9005+LED

Any just regular halogen bulb replacement that at least gives off a brighter and whiter look?

Any just regular halogen bulb replacement that at least gives off a brighter and whiter look?
Off hand I can't recall the bulb but I know there is a thread that mentions it. Busy right now but may be able to search for it later. I'm guessing this is for high beam.

Peter

Off hand I can't recall the bulb but I know there is a thread that mentions it. Busy right now but may be able to search for it later. I'm guessing this is for high beam.

Peter

Oh yeah high beam. Thanks.

Has no one changed the brights to LED in the 2019 Explorer?

I was driving my brand new 2018 XLT the other night and noticed that the high beams are a totally different color to the low beams.
I really like the low beam color and visibility. The high beams work well but it is annoying that the color looks to be old school halogen yellow.
Has Any one changed the high beams to a hid, or led that matched the low beam color. And yes i am aware that changing to hid could be illegal but since it is the high beams i am not really too worried. Also I seriously HaTE brighter short life span halogen bulbs such as ”silverstars” or “nighthawks” so changing to a different halogen light would not be a first choice. Which was why i was looking at HID or LED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right.
Your Explorer has LED low beams and Halogen high beams. I have the same setup and don't mind the colour difference at all. I believe that although Halogen lights emit a different colour beam, they do throw the light further than a brighter LED light. If you go through the thread, you will see that several members have replaced the high beam with LED.

Peter

Back