• Register Today It's free!

Cooling system leak help

wellcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a 99 explorer with the 4.0, I was doing a cooling system flush a while back and was out of town when a freeze came to our area, luckily the block didn't crack but I noticed it was missing a freeze plug in the passenger side, I put one back and added some water but found a leak in the water pump wich I'm fine as I new I needed to replace it as it was getting noisy, but I know I have another leak and can't figure out where is coming from. I see a constant flow of water in the back of the engine, transmission area if I look under the car. If I turn on the engine I see 2 water sprays from the back of the engine in the driver's side.
Where that water could be coming from?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the sohc but the ohv has a freeze plug in the rear of the motor between your engine and transmission...For your sake I hope this is not where the leak is coming from....

looked it up seems the sohc has a rear one also...

Well, it looks like it is the freeze plug as I was able to tuck it and felt like one, I was able to use a mirror and a light and noticed is in a horizontal position an not vertical, also noticed like 3 threaded holes around it, like to hook up a water line or something, I saw 2 spots in there like bubbling so I'm sure is coming from there, engine wasn't running, I just put some pressure with the water hose and it worked.

How difficult is to replace that freeze plug if I remove all the intake stuff, I have done it before so it's no issue for me but I would like to know if it can be done without pulling the engine or if the is a block off plate with bolts for that???

Thanks.

If you only popped a couple of freeze plugs, you need to go buy a lottery ticket. Freeze plugs are kind of a misnomer. They're not really there to protect your block and heads in the event of a coolant freeze. Usually the block will crack as well as the heads.

Back