Low temp after water pump replacement ford exlorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low temp after water pump replacement ford exlorer

wellcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Ok guys I just replace the water pump, to my surprise the impeller separated completely from the pump shaft and that was my overheating issue but now after I replaced the pump I'm having the opposite. The engine temp is way to low, when I switch from AC to heater it heats but not much, I'm sure it's because the water temp isn't getting to were it used to be.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might need to burp the air out of the cooling system,
Park on an uphill incline, and wait for the engine to cool, then refill radiator with the vent function on floor , temp at max heat and engine running.

Will do that tomorrow, thanks for replying.

Was the thermostat replaced at the same time the w/p was replaced? It should have been, especially if you were overheating.

I didn't as I replaced the thermostat sometime ago and it was a pita. Should I anyway?

I knew I had to replace the wp as it was getting noisy but I was doing a flush to the system and had water in it, unfortunately I was out of town and a freeze came to the area and it started and git some damage, leaking water through the wp, lost 2 freeze plugs. Now everything is fixed but I'm getting the low temp now.

Just wanted to give the history, the explorer has 140k miles int BTW. Now that I think the thermostat probably has about 60k miles but not really sure.

Often when an engine is overheated it damages the t-stat. I'd replace it. I've replaced the one in my ST twice. It wasn't that hard to do as I recall. If you're no longer reaching normal operating temp and not getting heat (assuming you don't have air trapped in the cooling system) the only thing left is the t-stat. I recommend you spend the money and by the Motorcraft thermostat. If I'd done that, I wouldn't have had to replace mine twice.

Thermostat. Probably was a fail safe you installed. When they get over heated, it locks open. So now your coolant is constantly flowing, which isn’t allowing it to reach the proper temp.

To make replacing the thermostat easier on the SOHC, I remove the throttle body. Then it's just 3 small bolts to remove the top of the t-stat housing. Be very careful not to over-tighten the bolts when reinstalling. I also siphon a couple of qts of antifreeze out of the radiator into a clean container (using a length of thin clear tubing) to minimize the mess and to save the coolant. Siphoning the coolant is way easier than getting under the vehicle and removing the wind deflector to get at the radiator drain. The thin plastic tubing can be inserted through the radiator fill bung and pushed down the side tank. Cut the tip of the tubing at an angle to prevent it from hanging up. Removing a quart or 2 of coolant is plenty.

Ditto, thermostat likely. Those are fragile and over heating often alters how they work. I like the Fail Safe versions, but those are not a higher quality, so any even when new can be bad or not open at the right temp.

I'd put in a new T-stat, and for Georgia, a 180 will give you plenty of heat in the Winter.

Ditto, thermostat likely. Those are fragile and over heating often alters how they work. I like the Fail Safe versions, but those are not a higher quality, so any even when new can be bad or not open at the right temp.

I'd put in a new T-stat, and for Georgia, a 180 will give you plenty of heat in the Winter.

Based on this year's early GA winter temps, I'd stick with the 190-192 (whichever stock was). This week it's been near 70 degrees, but next week/month it can turn real cold again in a hurry.

I recommend you spend the money and by the Motorcraft thermostat. If I'd done that, I wouldn't have had to replace mine twice.

Truth.

If I would have put a motorcraft water pump on the first time I wouldn't have had to replace mine twice either.

I'm guessing the OP put a Stant thermostat in.

Truth.

If I would have put a motorcraft water pump on the first time I wouldn't have had to replace mine twice either.

I'm guessing the OP put a Stant thermostat in.

Stant or Murray. My feeling is, if you consider it a PITA to do, use the best part(s) available. Do it right, do it once. Sometimes saving a few dollars isn't worth it.

FYI, Murray is the maker of the Fail Safe T'stats, or was last I checked.

I use 180 T'stats in my cars here, north of GA, and we see single digits every year. We hit zero one morning about three weeks ago, as I was going to work.

A 192 is not needed to make decent heat unless you're way below zero. I drive with my right window down delivering mail, the 180 does just fine for me. I want my vehicle fluids running as cool as possible.

Speaking of running cool, I remove my fan every winter. We had a freak 50 degree day and I sat dead stop in traffic for about 15 minutes then stop and go for another 20 and the temp never rose above 195. I also removed my AC along with the condenser so the radiator can get more air. I'll remove the trans lines to the radiator at some point too and install a bigger trans cooler. Combined with the engine oil cooler and high dollar synthetics I'm going to see how long I can get away with not running a fan this spring.

I like that, but the fan is really needed just in case. It doesn't use much gas, so it's worth it to have it. I'm going to try an electric fan again soon, it does need to be reliable.

I like that, but the fan is really needed just in case. It doesn't use much gas, so it's worth it to have it. I'm going to try an electric fan again soon, it does need to be reliable.

I'm not too worried daily driving in my home town. But I would never go on a road trip or tow a load without a fan fo sure. I also trimmed the tabs on the fan shroud so it can slip in and out smoothly. I can have the fan and shroud off and out in less than 5 minutes now. Finding where the thread begins on the fan to reinstall takes longer than removing it.

Back