List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Thank you. I asked them if they just paint the hood or if they blend the paint on the front end...they told me they will blend.

Update: After I dropped off the Explorer yesterday morning, I called in the afternoon to verify they had the hood and to get an update of when the vehicle would be finished. Was told they do not have a hood and no hoods immediately available within a 500 mile radius, but a new hood would be delivered no later than 3 weeks from today. Went back and picked up the Explorer and am now awaiting the phone call when the new hood arrives...fingers-crossed :)
I guess a new hood would eliminate "blending". Now just hope that the original paint hasn't faded too much.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess a new hood would eliminate "blending". Now just hope that the original paint hasn't faded too much.

Peter

Blending to the rest of the vehicle is still required for a good match...new hood comes unpainted, body shop paints it.

For the most part yes...In my case, my body shop can paint it to match the rest of the vehicle without blending it. Since I like the original color more. I didn't want the dealer body shop to blend their wrong color and lesser quality paint job to more than just the hood.

3 weeks ago I noticed bubbling at the leading edge of the hood. Took it to the dealer last week and within 3 hours of them submitting the warranty claim to Ford received approval to remove the hood...at first the BodyShop estimator tried to tell me they haven't seen many issues like this and they would strip the paint, clean, apply a 'great' sealant and then repaint the hood. We discussed the issue a little and I mentioned how this is corrosion and the aluminum is contaminated...then the estimator started talking about some other vehicles they are working on, but repainting is still the method to correct...I pulled out the Ford TSB (17-0062) which specifically states replacing the panel is recommended and showed him the info. He immediately took pictures of the vehicle and submitted the claim.
Today I take in the Explorer to start the process of replacing the hood and painting. I'll report back how this progresses.

...Sooo any other experiences with this? Im going in next week for this issue, ...
I have the TSB info but this doesnt pop-up in most of the auto sites TSB finder.
Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion Appearing as Bubbled or Peeling Paint - 2000-2016 Ford Lincoln Mercury

I see this TSB link is about fixing, but the quoted post mentioned replacing the existing panel...
...and if you read this TSB fix, im sure replacing is better, otherwise its really something you want done by someone who has done it a few times.

Can the OP chime in?

...Sooo any other experiences with this? Im going in next week for this issue, ...
I have the TSB info but this doesnt pop-up in most of the auto sites TSB finder.
Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion Appearing as Bubbled or Peeling Paint - 2000-2016 Ford Lincoln Mercury

I see this TSB link is about fixing, but the quoted post mentioned replacing the existing panel...
...and if you read this TSB fix, im sure replacing is better, otherwise its really something you want done by someone who has done it a few times.

Can the OP chime in?
Some have had the hood replaced as posted here. If you read the TSB carefully you will note that it refers to "body panels". It is much easier to replace a hood than a "body panel" so I'm guessing that is why in some cases a new hood is ordered.

Peter

When did they 'fix' this problem? Are '17s and/or '18s thought to be affected?

When did they 'fix' this problem? Are '17s and/or '18s thought to be affected?
No. As the TSB says, 2000-2016 Ford Lincoln Mercury

Peter

Peter

Actually, that link is for the old TSB...new TSB 17-0062 adds 2017 MY vehicles and changes the wording to replace the panel.

Peter

Actually, that link is for the old TSB...new TSB 17-0062 adds 2017 MY vehicles and changes the wording to replace the panel.

That's what I was concerned about, since TSBs get updated often (especially when the new MY are released. Thanks guys. I guess this is something I should have in the back of my mind.

On the other hand, has anyone ever 3M'd their front ends? If so, do you think it potentially saved the paint from this fault on Ford's part?

........On the other hand, has anyone ever 3M'd their front ends? If so, do you think it potentially saved the paint from this fault on Ford's part?
I doubt that would stop it as the corrosion is from the inside out. It begins under the paint so it would still bubble but the 3M would stop the paint from flaking off.

Peter

Thank you for that info. I have added that to the TSB link.

Peter

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=201136
...so here is a 17-0062,
"panel replacement recommended",

...but its a bare panel-it must be prepared and painted.
also-no mention of any warranty like 5yr/Unl. miles.
This is 2 pages, it could be missing info.

fyi 16-0028 states
"Panel replacement is not required."
this TSB also has prep & paint procedure.

Other tidbits found
ALUMINUM PANEL CORROSION
TSBID: 201136 Mfg Num: 17-0062 Issue Date: 2017-08-23

Can the OP chime in?

Update: Dealer ordered the hood 3 weeks ago with a release date of 22 Feb 2018 (today)...but, on Friday, 16 Feb I called the Dealer to confirm status of hood. Dealer told me the hood won't be released/shipped until 23 March. I checked with some other local Ford dealers and one in town has a hood in stock, but my Dealer told me they have to wait for the Warranty Hood and can't use the Hood that is located 3 miles away...something about Warranty prices :(

I'll let you know if/when the hood arrives and work is completed.

Service dept said Ford wont cover however all paperwork they showed me were from their computer, not correspondence from Ford.
They said they would take pics and send but they didnt once they searched my VIN in their ESP database,
nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com
Item they searched -"Paint" & my VIN - all relevant car warranty info shows and status is "No Coverage Found".
We reviewed TSB info and they were nice about it,
the service advisor gave me the nod to try opening a case with Ford, as he said has seen plenty of this issue pass through the service dept.
So ill do that...

Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.
We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.
Thank you again for contacting Ford.
The Ford Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

So they turned down your claim because your vehicle is outside the 36months/36,000 mile basic warranty? Do you think that is the reason?

So they turned down your claim because your vehicle is outside the 36months/36,000 mile basic warranty? Do you think that is the reason?
Yes. A TSB is only done free of charge as long as the vehicle is under warranty (OEM or ESP).

Peter

My hood was replaced. They told me it didn't matter about if it was in warranty or not. They said it was an issue that should be corrected regardless.

No specific reason given, that's the response they sent me.
...well if anyone see's it specified somewhere and its something different than 3/36,
post it here...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My hood was replaced. They told me it didn't matter about if it was in warranty or not. They said it was an issue that should be corrected regardless.
Glad you were able to get a new hood. However, what you were told about being in or out of warranty was wrong. Aluminum body panels on 2016/17 Explorers are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Back