Coolant loss..... pic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant loss..... pic

alawneh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 2010
Dear all, 2010 xlt with about 168k mi, there is some coolant loss from container as showen in the pic. Radiator, radiator cap, bypass hoses and water pump are new.. no over heat or smoke.
I feel that loss behind the thermostat neck from the dish like shape thing.

20180225_163524.jpg

20180226_002111.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those thermostat housings are known for cracking. Napa sells a replacement.

Yes you are right... but how many hoses i shall replace to over ride this issue..? I thought that i changed all...

By the way how many bypass hoses are on this ford

For future reference, please add your engine type to the trim level under your name. As steelers mentioned, the plastic lower thermostat housings from the factory are known to fail when the seams split apart. If the connected hoses feel soft and pliable, they are probably OK. There is a new and reasonably priced aftermarket aluminum housing now available IF you have the V6 engine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...q=lower+thermostat+housing&o=date&c[node]=111

02-2010 Explorer Moutaineer Aluminum Thermostat Housing Kit | eBay

wow $70.... its definitely coming down in price....id still have to have quite a few leak to off set that new price.... my luck timing chain would break 2 days later

For future reference, please add your engine type to the trim level under your name. As steelers mentioned, the plastic lower thermostat housings from the factory are known to fail when the seams split apart. If the connected hoses feel soft and pliable, they are probably OK. There is a new and reasonably priced aftermarket aluminum housing now available IF you have the V6 engine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...q=lower+thermostat+housing&o=date&c[node]=111

02-2010 Explorer Moutaineer Aluminum Thermostat Housing Kit | eBay
Thans alot. I already changed it to aluminum one 2 years ago.

Easiest way to pinpoint leaks is doing a pressure test. Most larger auto parts stores loan cooling system pressure test kits with a fully refundable deposit upon return. Call around and keep us posted with your findings. Good luck.

Back