2019 Explorer Platinum vs 2019 Ford Edge ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Platinum vs 2019 Ford Edge ST

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
Thoughts?

Love my 2016 Explorer but thinking of downsizing slightly as we don't need such a large car. VERY VERY interested in the new 2019 Edge with more tech and the ST sounds SEXY. Need to see it in person and feel the power though.

Anyone else on the edge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly same situation but my wife loves the Nautilus.. sooo... it will be 1 of the 3.

2019-Lincoln-Nautilus.jpg

Very difficult to comment on a vehicle (Platinum) that hasn't been released yet. For me, the Nautilus is on my list along with the 2020 Explorer. Looking at pictures of the 2019 Edge, I'm very disappointed that they haven't updated the dash cluster.:(

Peter

YES, Nautilus and Ford Edge will be what I seriously consider. They will be pretty similar I think right (not too versed in Lincoln brand). I am looking for good tech as well.

What would you expect to happen to the dash cluster?

What would you expect to happen to the dash cluster?
I much prefer the cluster that's in the Platinum. The one in the 2019 Edge is the same one that's been around for 8 years now and looks dated IMHO.

Peter

How much more comfortable are the Lincoln Ultra Comfort Seats vs the Ford Active Motion seats?

I considered the Edge when I bought the Explorer. In the end, a loaded Edge was nearly as expensive as a loaded Explorer, and I didn't see the value. But then again, I was happy to have a larger SUV anyways. The Explorer also won out in looks by a long shot. The way I see an Edge is kind of like a Escape with an extended cargo area.

Anyways, I posted it in great detail before I made a decision. Ford vs Audi (Edge/Explorer/F-150 vs Q5/Q7) - Competing Crossovers & Vehicles

A month later I bought the Explorer -- as I got the same price but with a lower 1.9% interest. I chose a Sport over the Platinum which got me down to $53k CDN. I hated the wood trim and the pleated leather design inside the Platinum and was able to avoid paying any BC luxury tax.

Thanks for that review. Very interesting. I love my 2016 Explorer, but frankly, we're about to make the shift to a minivan (thinking Chrysler Pacifica, although a little bummed that it doesn't yet include AWD options). That said, we don't need two large cars, hence the Edge/Nautilus leaning. Still leaning Edge ST, depends on what they end up pricing it at. I like the new tech that is hitting the Edge first as well, before the Explorer.

You'll have to consider that Chrysler/Dodge are bottom of the barrel for reliability and depreciation. Fords are kind of in the middle, though I've had zero problems with my new Explorer which I've owned for 1.5 years now. If you want to go soul-destroying minivan, then you should consider the Honda, instead. At least they will hold their value and be super reliable. But you'll obviously be giving up on any form of fun factor. Also partly why I went for the Sport engine -- I could have my cake and eat it too -- with a nice fun engine. Sounds like you are in a similar boat.

Haha... Yes, going the minivan route is going to be soul crushing, but I have to admit, I had a Pacifica as a work rental for several weeks last year and it is one of the most practical and spacious cars I've been in in a while, especially for a family with two young kids and a dog, and a narrow garage. I would never consider it as our only car (hence the Explorer now), but given we're going to 2 cars, I'd be happy with a juiced up Edge. If I wasn't considering a Pacifica I would go the Toyota route as its the only minivan that has an AWD options currently.

I'm curious how well the new lane centering tech works. I've been in several Tesla's and the AutoPilot is a dream for highway commuters like I am. If it can work even remotely close that it could be game changing. Anyone have any experience with the Ford tech? (I see Nissan has it too now as well)

I have a 2015 Edge SE base as a company car. I find it very comfortable (105k miles). And, no issues at all. Normal maintenance only. If you look at the interior dimensions the front and second row it has nearly the same measurements as the Explorer. It just looses the 3rd row seat. I would definitely go for another Edge.

How much more comfortable are the Lincoln Ultra Comfort Seats vs the Ford Active Motion seats?

I have them in my 2016 MKX and no other seat compares to them. Personally I hated the multicontour seats of the Explorer, that's why I chose the Lincoln.

I have the Fusion Sport which is the same CD4 as the new Edges. I'd check the tire profile on the Edge ST before making a decision. It is likely very thin for better steering response, which means it will pop like a balloon on any decent pothole. I lost 2 tires on my Fusion Sport because of the 235/40R19 tires. Southeast Michigan has the worst roads in America.

As for handling, I felt my 2018 Explorer XLT 4WD is "better" than the Fusion Sport overall. It won't outhandle the Fusion Sport (slalom, lateral grip, etc...), but the Explorer feels like only a slightly bigger and heavier Taurus SHO which feels more predictable to drive. When I over-rotate in a hard turn, the back end feels like it wants to swing out. On the Fusion Sport, even with the low profile sticky tires, the front tends to plow hard and never wants to over-rotate. I was driving on the sidewalls in the same turn that the SHO and Explorer XLT handled fairly well. The road racing experts are going to disagree with me, but if I had to do it again, I would never ever ever have gone with the Fusion Sport. I'd probably go with the Explorer Sport but the lack of the twin-turbos hasn't been a big deal for what I use my XLT.

Also, the 2.7L EcoBoost is not very good, just like the Fusion Sport. The 2.7 has almost no low end torque with the stock tune. It lags badly. I have trouble passing Silverados and an EcoBoost Mustang will walk and gap the Fusion Sport. Power braking does nothing as it just plain bogs off the line, and the 6F55 tune from the factory takes forever to shift. My tuned SHO takes off like a missile and the 6F55 with only minor minor tweaks, shifts very quickly just like the stock 6F55 in my 2018 XLT. Heck, the stock SHO and my XLT launches better than the Fusion Sport. There's no replacement for displacement, and the 3.5 EcoBoost is a better engine.

The CD4 interior is more modern, shiny, and updated compared to the dated D3/D4 interior... but I feel absolutely at home in the D3/D4. Even with the base XLT seats in the Explorer.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm largely on the same page with you (my experience is solely with the 2017 Explorer Sport). It's taken some getting used to, as its very easy to bog down acceleration by punching it while already moving. I think it's a combination of 6-speed, twin-turbo lag, and ECU programming. Ford really kind of messed that particular aspect up. But you learn to work around it, by never flooring it. You get better results finessing it gradually. From a standstill, it's totally fine to floor it.

Obviously with naturally aspiring engine, turbo lag is a removed factor. I'm pretty sure this car would have been leagues better with a ZF-8. The incoming ST versions will use the new 10 speed... which I don't think is the right move. Too many gears, too much shifting... more suitable for torque heavy applications. Although I'd take it over a 6 speed. 6 speed is just too clunky for anything sporty.

I have them in my 2016 MKX and no other seat compares to them. Personally I hated the multicontour seats of the Explorer, that's why I chose the Lincoln.

So is there an actual difference in the "massage" aspect between Ford and Lincoln, or is the Lincoln just the multiple adjustments, many more than Explorer

From what some of the tuners have said, the 10R80 can skip from 1 to 5 depending on the situation. I mapped out the gearing and there's a lot of shifting going on if there's no skipping. But the 2018 Mustang and F-150 owners have noted that there is indeed a lot of shifting going on, and there's almost zero gain in fuel economy. One co-worker said he never goes above 8th gear while cruising, which seems odd since 10th gear is only slightly lower than 6th on the 6R80. I think the delta was 200RPM lower at 80 mph assuming you can get into 10th gear.

Sounds about right. This is one area where Audi decimates Ford.

Back