Paul's '91 Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's '91 Sport

Three ashtrays, two doors, one cup holder, and zero Air Bags”

As it sits today. . . (December 2023)
Rig Large (DEC 23).jpg

As it sat last year. . . (2022)
Snow Sport.5 (DEC 21).jpg

Edit: From here on down was the write-up I did for my first Explorer before it was totaled in a commuting accident in March 2017. The write-up for the new (to me) Explorer that was acquired in May 2020 starts on page 2, post #31.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, purchasing it in April 1993. It has been a daily driver, crisscrossed the States multiple times, sat for a few years in storage, and now is dedicated to four-wheeling trips, camping excursions, and hauling the motorcycle to various “track days”. It is not a hard-core rig, but is set up well for the types of four-wheeling I enjoy, and has certainly seen its fair share of difficult trails. It has a number of modifications, with more planned for the future, but is by no means “Done”.

As it used to sit: (2016)
Front Oblique (P).jpg
Rear End.jpg

Here is the run-down of the modifications and when they were installed (or re-worked). . .
- Borla Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust (1995)
- James Duff Pre-Runner Front Bumper (1998)
- Bush Whacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (1998/2016)
- ARB Air Lockers, front and rear (1999/2008/2015)
- 4.10 Gears (1999)
- “SupeRancho” Hybrid Lift, approximately 4” of lift, with SOA (1999)
- 33”x 12.50 Tires (currently Toyo Mud Terrains)
- Con Ferr Roof Rack (1999)
- SuperLift SuperRunner Steering (2000)
- Ramsey REP 8000 winch in Duff Bumper (2002), Warn Synthetic Line (2016)
- Rock Sliders (2002)
- Atlas II Transfer Case (2005)
- ViAir On-Board Air Compressor (2009/2014)
- Modified ¾ Doors (2009)
- Early Bronco fabbed Rear Bumper, “extra modded” to fit the Explorer (2009)
- Rear License Plate Frenched (2009)
- Outback Solutions (ARB) Drawers with fabbed pull-out shelves (2012)
- Corbeau Heated Seats (2013)
- Internal Roll Cage (2013)
- Shelf/Box/Switches (2013-2015)
- Lights – Raptor/Fog/Roof Rack/Rear/Squatch/Interior Hatch/Hood (2013-2016)
- Dual Battery installation (2014)

I'll document most of the projects in subsequent posts with pictures and links to various threads. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Edit: End of the road in April 2020. . . Read on for the wreck and renovation/restoration/gear swap to new 'Sport'. . .
Fork (APR 20).jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, too busy with other projects. . . Kevin and I started take-down a few weekends ago (it's at his shop up the road a bit), so still in pieces.

Passenger Front (FEB 18).jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

. . . but, on the bright side - - I picked up a parts hauler . . .

Ranger .JPG

Somehow I missed this thread till now. So many details your rig had at Moab that I didn't get to check out. Hopefully you have it back together by now.

dude
What happened to the front end?????????????????????

I love this sport
I love the red Ranger

So much WANT, beautiful build, love the doors

Sorry for the slow response - - and thanks for the comments. Rig is still in pieces up at Kevin's shop, not sure what the future holds for it. Damage not extremely debilitating, but the frame is tweaked and it's now a "salvage" title, and struggling with how much money to throw at it . . .

Sorry for the slow response - - and thanks for the comments. Rig is still in pieces up at Kevin's shop, not sure what the future holds for it. Damage not extremely debilitating, but the frame is tweaked and it's now a "salvage" title, and struggling with how much money to throw at it . . .

I have a perfectly straight California 1st gen sport I'll sell you dirt cheap you can swap everything over to. I gutted the interior and stole the manual transfer case and tail lights off it. It's a manual trans, and motor dosen't run. I'd rather see it get put back into service vs crushed.

Thanks for the feedback - - Stico: Appreciate the offer. Saw a bone stock 1st Gen cheap up here and still not ready to pull the trigger on a replacement to swap the good stuff...

End of the road . . .

Long time coming, but saying goodbye. Some stuff sold, some stuff stored for a potential resurrection in the future. . .
Drivetrain.3 (APR 20).jpg

In the end, the frame was tweaked and the core support would have taken "professional" effort to repair - - too much for a salvage vehicle. . .

Drivetrain.2 (APR 20).jpg

No, the Atlas II is not for sale. . .

Trailer.1 (APR 20).jpg

Junk Yard ready. . .

Paul

Sorry to hear Paul..

My offer still stands. I'll sell you the extra '94 Sport I have for $300, which is what I paid for it. Interior is gutted, and missing the t-case, motor doesn't run. But is a manual. Perfect body.

All you gotta do is come get it, or pay my gas and I'll meet you half way. It's already on a trailer.
20180318_153004.jpg

Sorry to hear Paul. My offer still stands. I'll sell you the extra '94 Sport I have for $300, which is what I paid for it.

Again, thanks for the offer, but going a (slightly) different route. . . As the Sport had front end damage, once we got in deep we found the motor mounts were FUBAR, front axle "tweaked" and like mentioned earlier, too much professional effort for a "salvage" title.

But at the end of the day, too much "good stuff" to just sell off - Atlas, lockers, gearing, SuperRunner steering, 3/4 doors(!), storage drawers, Corbeau heated seats, winch, rear tire carrier/bumper, and blah, blah, blah the rest of 27 years of ownership. . . Plus having Kevin (DiffWhack) just up the road to help with all the heavy lifting.

So. . .
Driver-Side (MAY 20).jpg

1994 'Sport clone, correct transmission and only 83,000 miles (odo is 7 digits, so hasn't rolled over). . .

Shifter (MAY 20).jpg

Even kind of like the "black & tan" interior - - won't have to worry about Moab dust on this interior. . .

Door Panel (MAY 20).jpg

Paul
Couple o' RBVs

Welcome to the Navajo family :thumbsup:

That's a great looking truck.

Funny there is one down here for sale, that looks almost exactly the same, with almost the same miles....🤔

Hope you didn't pay this much...

Nope on that price, but it was a single owner vehicle in salt-free Washington, has the sunroof, power lumbar front seats, cold AC, Carfax with most all the service records and some other stuff: $2,950.00, plus tax and title. . . Some might think that's too much (like Kevin), but most I've looked at here in person or on-line are 200,000+ miles and roached everything. . . How often does a sub 100K, 2 door with manual pop up?

A couple of minor issues need to be addressed before swapping over the major components, but I'd trust this rig to drive to Moab tomorrow, well, maybe if the relatively new tires were a bit taller than 26" . . . (225 75R 15[!])

Good to be back,

Paul

Wow, that's a clean 94. Even has those recliner like seats. Nice find.

Obviously want to start swapping stuff out today, but part of the agreement with the better half during the purchase process was to push the majority of serious work weekends to this fall. . . The obvious upside is having Kevin's shop up the road and the ability to put this rig up on the lift for a few weeks as we knock out the suspension work . . . come October.

Suspension plan a bit different this time - - still keeping the Dana 35 TTB, but sold portions of my front axle to a third party and will sling Phil's (Albino94ltd)'s TTB up front. Like mine, it has the ARB, but Phil mounted F250 shock mounts that gave him far superior "droop" to my fairly limited articulation. I had some radius arms made after breaking my old Rancho set on "Upchuck Hill" in 2013 and those went with my front axle, so I'll run Phil's Duff set on this rig. Right now have Duff 5.5" coils from Phil, we'll see if those work or whether they'll need a trim.

Rear axle also from Phil's rig - - going to upgrade to a disc brake conversion, and as of now he's got a "lunchbox" locker set up . . . will likely upgrade that to either ARB (likely) or Detroit - - right now price looks to be about the same for either option.

And the Atlas II - - one of the reasons for pulling the trigger on this rig was the fact that with the manual transmission we wouldn't have to fabricate or purchase "adapters" for the transfer case, have a brand new spare set of driveshafts that'll bolt right up. . .

Near term projects include dropping the fuel tank to replace the sending unit (gas gauge inop), and replacing a few lights on the dash. Also going to make a front headlight modification, "stolen" from a forum member with some great fabbing skills.
Round-Light Conversion (MAY 18).jpg

Think the round headlights with grille mounted turn signals and 3/4 doors will really make this rig look like a Bronco "tribute". . .

Paul

Edit: After some time, have opted against the round headlight conversion. . . like the boxy front grill just fine (3/22).

I like the round eyes

I love my roundeye led conversion :) I did body match retainer rings
171_042039_580000003.jpg

Love the new Navajo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my roundeye led conversion :) I did body match retainer rings
Yep, scoured your BII page for some pointers, but you just skimmed over that modification. . . Going to use 77/78 headlight buckets as the starting point for this modification.

Few more pics of the new rig:
Seats-Front (APR 20).jpg
Seats-Rear (APR 20).jpg
Rear-Cargo (APR 20).jpg

Paul

Back