oil cooler leaking, options?

Ford_Racing_Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
So in another thread I mentioned buying a 97 explorer that I'm in the process of fixing up etc.

I knew there was coolant leak just wasn't sure where and after crawling around underneath it fixing the exhaust and trans lines, brakes etc. I noticed some droplets of coolant by the oil filter.

Now I did some searching and found the issue of the oil cooler leaking, either a seal or the oil cooler itself which is discontinued....is there an easy way to know which is leaking? and how does the cooler come apart to change the seal, does the cooler separate from the block mount or do i need to remove the whole thing?

and I know there have been some who just removed it all together and left it off, which comes to the next part, instead of installing a remote filter kit, is there an adapter that i can install in its place and keep the factory oil filter location? is there such an adapter that will work and fit?

i've been googling and googling and haven't had much luck in finding a solution

thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been searching and searching for the seal gasket etc for the cooler and the only thing i can find is a discontinued ford part number. is there an aftermarket seal available?

some 99 up have an oil filter adapter that will work but you need a full length lower radiator hose.
I did spy a used oil cooler on ebay for a C note right now. I prefer the solid adapter if you can find one.

The normal 90 degree adapter you see may not fit quite right. The explorer adapter has a longer spacing.

oil cooler on ebay

FORD EXPLORER Oil Cooler Water Hose Block Mount Filter 96 97 5.0 5.8 MUSTANG LDJ | eBay

XL2E-6884-AA is the art number for the explorer v8 non cooler version oil filter adapter.

some 99 up have an oil filter adapter that will work but you need a full length lower radiator hose.
I did spy a used oil cooler on ebay for a C note right now. I prefer the solid adapter if you can find one.

The normal 90 degree adapter you see may not fit quite right. The explorer adapter has a longer spacing.

oil cooler on ebay

FORD EXPLORER Oil Cooler Water Hose Block Mount Filter 96 97 5.0 5.8 MUSTANG LDJ | eBay

XL2E-6884-AA is the art number for the explorer v8 non cooler version oil filter adapter.

i saw on this thread from awhile back that you posted a photo but its no longer there. 5.0L Oil cooler delete, how is it done?

wondering if you still had a photo showing exactly what it looks like.

thanks.

The picture should show now. Let me know if it shows in that thread please, and, for now I will also post it here.

002_zpsb0793cf6.jpg

ok thanks.

the only problem now is I'm having a hard time trying to find the mount that looks like that.

I may end up having to go to the dealer.

My two 98's both have the adapter without the oil cooler.

If you aren't sure the cooler is bad, I'd replace the two o-rings and see if that's it. But the only way there should be any coolant near there is if the cooler is bad and it's leaking by the seals(which would also leak oil). The radiator hoses there shouldn't leak unless the rubber is bad.

I've bought two cooler adapters, and the new o-rings to install them eventually. One of the o-rings Ford still carries, the other is available from Rock Auto I believe. One is basically the same diameter as the oil filter rubber ring. The other is small and goes on the through bolt.

Note to R&R the cooler adapter, you will have to remove the water pump. The short hose between them cannot be put on after the cooler(filter adapter). I tried, they space between is too short. I'll do it when I remove the WP later to get to the timing chain.

any reason why some came with the cooler and some not?

is it part of the towing package?

The oil cooler was deleted from mid - '98 year model and on. My '98 came with a towing package, and no oil cooler. Most parts catalogs will show the no-cooler adapter, and the correct hose for it starting with the '99 model.

The oil cooler was deleted from mid - '98 year model and on. My '98 came with a towing package, and no oil cooler. Most parts catalogs will show the no-cooler adapter, and the correct hose for it starting with the '99 model.
Thanks, I wondered what the cutoff was. My two 98's are Spring models, no coolers, one with a steel pan, and one with the aluminum pan.

yeah its strange, my 1998 has the steel pan with the oil cooler

my 1997 has an aluminum pan and also the cooler.

i guess they just put the coolers on until they ran out of them :D

I recall looking for one about ten years ago, and seeing they cost $1000 new. I stopped looking at that, and found two used ones for about $40 shipped each.

i was able to find a good used adapter without the cooler, it doesn't look at all like the one piece adapter like the posted off a later model like a 99 and up

this one is a 2 piece design and i lucked out and was able to just remove the stud and remove the cooler and leave the angled piece on the block and just install the aluminum piece off the one i bought so i didn't have to monkey around trying to get in there to get the whole thing off and i just installed a radiator hose from a 2000 model.

so if anyone can get a hold of an adapter like mine or at least just the aluminum round piece you have a little less work to do.

IMAG0803[1].jpg

IMAG0805[1].jpg

IMAG0806[1].jpg

IMAG0809[1].jpg

IMAG0810[1].jpg

IMAG0813[1].jpg

Great work, and I know how tight it is in there to remove that block bolt.

Wow, nice find! I wish I had know about this when I swapped out my oil cooler - looks a lot easier.

I replaced mine with Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapter M-6880-A50 and male-to-male thread screw in adapter at the block, like PN ALL92003 (I got mine at the dealership and don't know the part number).

In case others find this in the future, and are not able to find the same adapter as Ford_Racing_Guy, the Ford Performance Parts 90-deg filter adapter works fine. It is much shorter than the mid-98 to 2001 filter adapter, but it takes FL1A oil filters which are much longer, so it evens out. It is a little harder to get the filter lined up when changing the oil, but it is worth the extra filter capacity. Be sure to have a filter installed when you are lining the adapter up before tightening the bolt at the block - there's not much room for lining it up wrong.

Back