A/C Rear Line Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Rear Line Leak

Thank you for the responses. Yes the service tech said it's the AC line that runs under the truck to the rear of the vehicle. So I'm assuming what you stated is what the issue is and price wise sounds about right then. I guess it's time to fight with Ford motor company and see what they will do about this. I don't think a 4 year old car should have these issues! Thanks again for all your input!

I linked the post/thread for you in the post above. Again, not that it helps any but this is only the 2nd person to post this issue so I have to say it is just crap luck that it happened and unfortunate.

They say it is a lot of labor but I wonder if you can get it up on ramps how difficult it is to just disconnect each line and guide them out and replace on your own. You will have to have it recharged but may be something you want to look at.

Or, have it cut and plugged so you won't leak out and rely on the front AC system instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-on-a-three-year-old-car.463777/#post-3631485

I was wrong, I thought it was $1,400 but seems the quotes are spot on.
At over 100,000 miles I can kinda understand the issue but my truck is only 4 years old and less then 50,000 miles. I understand the labor that it entails and I'm not arguing that fact my problem is that after 4 years there is NO reason for something like this to happen unless it's a defect in the part itself and if that's the case I shouldn't be charged for that. There is no way in 4 years an AC line goes bad! I'm sorry!

At over 100,000 miles I can kinda understand the issue but my truck is only 4 years old and less then 50,000 miles. I understand the labor that it entails and I'm not arguing that fact my problem is that after 4 years there is NO reason for something like this to happen unless it's a defect in the part itself and if that's the case I shouldn't be charged for that. There is no way in 4 years an AC line goes bad! I'm sorry!

Not arguing your point. I completely agree with you that something like that shouldn't happen. I'd actually expect lines like that (metal, not rubber) would outlast the vehicle. However, at what point does a manufacturer start and stop making exceptions. Warranty is black and white and everyone has the choice to by an extended. My 03 Camry has a little under 100k on it and besides brakes, tires and battery, everything is original on it. 14 years old... yup. Granted it is ugly, cheap materials, not technology etc.. but still.

Blwnsmoke thanks for all your input! I actually called Ford Motor Company direct about this issue and I'll find out Monday what and how they may assist me on it. But I may take your advise and get it up on ramps and see if I may be able to do it for much cheaper. As a single father the funds are low and I bought this truck hoping and thinking it wouldn't have any issues till long down the road! Unfortunately I've been proven wrong. I'll keep you posted on the out come! Again thanks for all you input!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been reading (lurking) for a while! I had this same issue and just had it repaired at a local Mr.Muffler. Ford quoted me about $2500 for the repair due to the labor. The tube basically snakes above the rear suspension and gas tank...all of which need to be removed to replace the tubes which are no that expensive. The mechanic showed me the piece that they took out, it's a twisty, curvy piece that's almost as long as the vehicle itself so I think you'd have to be quite patient to try to snake it through without removing everything. Final price for the repair came to $1500. My 2013 XLT AWD has 76,000km on it.

BTW, when the dealer put it on the lift to see what was up with the leak, they told me that the rear knuckles needed to be replaced, the cost for that job was another $2500. They were going to charge a little over $700 for each piece, so $1400+ in parts plus labor. I found them online for $350 each but asked the Mr.Muffler mechanic to check it out as replacing that while having the suspension removed may save me some labor costs. The guy called me back to tell me that everything is tight and nothing needs to be replaced. Go figure.

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:

Peter
Thanks Peter! There's so much great information here. It's nice to know that you're not alone in some of the issues we experience!

hi everyone!
New to the board and this is my first post! I noticed a little coolant (or so I thought) leaking from behind the L rear tire. I took it in to have it looked at today and they said I had a AC hose leak, which would need to be completely replaced for $1150!! Needless to say I wasn't expecting that! Another mechanic told me an alternative is to have the line capped off, cleaned and recharged, which would still give me AC in the front but no longer the rear for $250. I'm struggling on what to do here, is the front AC only sufficient for the vehicle? anyone have any experience/thoughts on this or other alternatives? Also, I don't know a lot about cars, but is it ok if I continue driving this car with the leak? Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Lance.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this one on the same issue.
I have never had the rear A/C or heat on as I am the only occupant and the front only works for me. I'm no A/C expert but I think if you continue driving with the leak then I'm guessing you will eventually drain the system of the coolant/refrigerant and then your front won't work either.

Peter

I've never been a big fan of extended warranties, but I'm slowly coming around to seeing the potential value of a premiumcare ESP on the 5th gen explorers.

The two rear lines are less than $100 each. If you can find a shop that can repair/splice only the section that is needed and recharge the system, that is probably going to be the most cost effective option.

I'd be very hesitant to eliminate the A/C from the rear of the vehicle. The Explorer's twin, the new Rover Discovery has had people complaining about insufficient A/C in the rear. Eliminating it completely sounds like a bad idea.

hi everyone!
New to the board and this is my first post! I noticed a little coolant (or so I thought) leaking from behind the L rear tire. I took it in to have it looked at today and they said I had a AC hose leak, which would need to be completely replaced for $1150!! Needless to say I wasn't expecting that! Another mechanic told me an alternative is to have the line capped off, cleaned and recharged, which would still give me AC in the front but no longer the rear for $250. I'm struggling on what to do here, is the front AC only sufficient for the vehicle? anyone have any experience/thoughts on this or other alternatives? Also, I don't know a lot about cars, but is it ok if I continue driving this car with the leak? Thanks!

Are you able to confirm the rear A/C doesn't work? If my rear A/C is on, there's almost always condensation dripping behind the left rear tire, which is normal.

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with just under 60k miles which I bought used in Aug 2016 (with 28k mi). We finally got some warm weather in SE Wisconsin this week, and when I tried my A/C nothing but warm air...

After some diagnostics, I discovered there was zero pressure in the system when checking the low pressure port. Last night I recharged the system to 34 PSI, and after driving around the block, my pressure had dropped to 25PSI. I couldn't get "cold" air out of the system this AM. I will confirm after work today what the system pressure and/or if the compressor clutch is engaging, but I suspect most or all of the refrigerant I installed yesterday has leaked out.

I'm surprised that I'm having a problem after only 5 years/60k miles, and I don't have an extended warranty, so I'm on the hook for this repair myself.

I have some UV R134a on order, but in the meantime, I was curious if there's generally a "common" source for leaks on the 5th gen Explorer or if anyone had additional insight to assist with my continued investigation. Thanks!

Easiest way is to get a refrigerant leak detector, charge the system and start checking every component, line, fitting until the detector goes off - faster and easier than using UV dye.

I know a few people that have said the $70 leak detector from harbor freight worked for them.

Easiest way is to get a refrigerant leak detector, charge the system and start checking every component, line, fitting until the detector goes off - faster and easier than using UV dye.

I know a few people that have said the $70 leak detector from harbor freight worked for them.

Thanks for the tip! I found a leak detector on Amazon with decent reviews for ~$30 shipped. I'll try it in addition to the UV dye (which I've already ordered). Seems to be leaking out pretty quickly, so I'm hopeful I can nail down the source fairly easily with the proper tools.

There have been a couple members where the line close to the rear AC unit was leaking. Both lines had to be replaced from the front to back since it is 1 piece. Besides those couple of people, I dont really recall anyone else having a leak issue.

There have been a couple members where the line close to the rear AC unit was leaking. Both lines had to be replaced from the front to back since it is 1 piece. Besides those couple of people, I dont really recall anyone else having a leak issue.

Thanks, blwnsmoke. That might explain why I didn't find much in my search. :) I'll follow-up if/when I locate the leak. Thanks for the tip on the rear A/C unit.

Thanks, blwnsmoke. That might explain why I didn't find much in my search. :) I'll follow-up if/when I locate the leak. Thanks for the tip on the rear A/C unit.

You are welcome. I found one of the threads. Read the last post regarding the rear AC. Hopefully it isn't the condenser in the dash.

A/C evaporator leak on a three year old car?

Hopefully it isn't the condenser in the dash.

Guh, yeah... I replaced a heater core in the dash of my old 2001 F150 SCrew, and that was a whole weekend job in my driveway. I imagine the Explorer is 10x worse with all the electronic farkles jammed up in there.

TBH, I didn't even realize there were lines running aft for the rear climate control. Make sense, though. I'll get it up on some ramps this weekend and start checking things out with the sniffer.

If I were the only one affected by this, I probably wouldn't even fix it, but my wife and an 11 month baby supersede my personal priorities. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone. New here and have a question on my 2011 xlt explorer. I noticed a puddle of coolant on the garage floor this morning below the drivers side muffler. Upon inspection there is a coolant leak from a flange where the ac and coolant lines meet (see pic). There was a white "fog" escaping as well. I assume that's ac refrigerant. The leak appears to be right at the base of one of the nuts. You can see a drip coming off the nut and it's "fizzing" from the gas escaping. Anyone have experience with this issue? I'm not sure if it's just a seal or if the lines are shot. I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere. Ford wasn't much help and told me to bring it in. Any help would be appreciated!

20180503_180725.jpg

Back