towing package myths ?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing package myths ??

Per your link in your previous message, that kit fits both 16 and 17 and has that fascia in it. I would assume it would be the same on both of those years.
Do you mean you're seeing the rear "hidden-cover" fascia when you visit that link, or just the hitch itself with the black bezel around the hole?

The cover fascia I'm referring to is part # GB5Z-17K835-BA. This is very different to the hole bezel offered with GB5Z-19D520-C.
You can see the cover fascia here: GB5Z-17K835-BA - Genuine Ford Fascia - Rear Lower, Silver Lining, For XLT/Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at your link, it would appear that there is no cover for that hitch. It is just as you see it. I'm guessing that your Explorer may have the 6F50 transmission. Explorers with the factory tow package also have a cutout in the front valance for extra cooling as mentioned in my post here; Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? (check links)
What is included in a trailer tow package III?
Because of the items/features not installed at the factory I believe Explorers with aftermarket hitches will only be rated to tow 2000 lbs.
There are more threads discussing towing you can find with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Ahh yes, I was looking at the bezel piece. I would still think the whole fascia would be the same if the bezel is the same, but that's just a guess.

Found this, it provides some good info on the 6F55: www.greencarcongress.com/2009/02/ford-beefs-up-t.html
+1 on this and other comments. I'm sure you can tow 5000 pounds just fine... for awhile, depending on conditions. But if you are doing any large hauls through the various mountain passes in your area on a hot day, you'll likely eventually run into technical difficulties. I think you'll risk either overheating issues or a failed tranny. Also the tow hitch size you are installing is 2x2, right? Because if it's the smaller one, you'll be in a world of pain.

My 2018 XLT's owner manual shows the trans codes on the door sticker and references the different transmissions. My SHO, Fusion Sport, and the XLT all have the 6F55. This isn't a myth, unless the owners manuals and Ford door stickers are all lying.

I can confirm my XLT with Class III trailer package has an extra engine oil cooler. There are 2 extra coolant hoses running to an oil to water exchanger mounted at the front of the engine block (or rather driver's side since it is transversely mounted). The SHOs only have the oil cooler with the Perf Pkg or Police Interceptor package.

What I cannot confirm is if there's a thicker radiator, PTU cooler, and trans cooler for the XLT with trailer towing package. The PTU seems to be far more covered up than on the SHO and has this huge module attached to it that I've never seen before. I shined a light from the right front tire and I cannot see if it has the PTU cooler and drain plug. The heat shielding/cat is blocking the view, and no joy from under the Explorer as there's a lot of stuff in the way.

I shined a light down the trans cooler hoses and couldn't see the extra hoses for the external cooler. The standard trans cooler is part of the A/C condenser as it is on the SHO. On the SHO PP and Police Interceptors, there's an extra heat exchanger on the lower part of the grille.

The Fusion Sport is supposed to have the extra trans cooler and PTU cooler from the get-go, but I have one (actually we have 2) and it is a POS.

Based on my datalogging, the SHO (non-PP) trans fluid runs up to about 210-215F during WOT runs in the summer time. According to Ford and trans experts, the 6F55 is fine with this temperature as the Mercon LV / Dexron VI is synthetic and intended to operate in these conditions.

I saw some data for the PTU cooler that shows it cools it down by 16%, with the non-cooled PTU running up to 284F and the cooled PTU at around 266F. There are reports of Police Interceptors with burnt PTU fluid, so the PTU cooler obviously isn't an end-all solution, just a stop gap measure.

I remember from my Crown Vic days that the oil cooler on the CVPI was not intended to do anything other than stretch the oil change interval during extended idling or operation at high temperatures which means less downtime for the police vehicles.

But back to the Explorer... I don't think the non-EB Class III package includes anything more than the engine oil cooler. Again, I couldn't really see if there was a PTU or trans cooler but I suspect it doesn't have these. No idea on the radiator as I don't have a non-trailer pkg Explorer to compare with.

I tow a 20' center console with my 2011 XLT, 3.5 NA 4WD using an aftermarket 2" Draw-Tite receiver with no issues. 3500 lbs give or take. All this hand wringing over factory vs after market, 2000 vs 5000 is just that....hand wringing. No issues, no concerns, temps are normal. I simply manage the transmission where necessary to not let it lug in OD. Currently at 95K miles.

Meh.

I ignored the 99' Explorer Sport manual and I added tranny cooler, brake controller, and air suspension with Tibren support. I had the explorer tow my popup from 122,000 miles to 224,000 miles and it finally died. It was hard to tow popup up the mountains. I slowed to 35-45 mph trying to tow it. Even though it had 4.0L V6 engine, still slow up hill. From this experience I do NOT recommend ignoring Ford guidelines. I bought 2014 Explorer XLT with tow package, it makes huge difference. I did LOOK for the Explorer with Tow Package with help from CarGurus. Luckily, the local Ford dealership had the Explorer I was looking for.

The PTU cooler appears to be optional on Police Interceptors: 52B. It requires the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, and Ford says it is recommended for EVOC training and extended track usage. This is from the Ford brochure:
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/microsites/policeinterceptor/pdfs/18_Police_Brochure.pdf

Since most departments just get the N/A 3.7 V6, they probably don't have the PTU cooler?

So I'm assuming the PTU cooler isn't needed for towing as you're not constantly turning and burning (EVOC training / track usage).

But we could have used the transmission oil cooler.

Does anyone have pics of the Police Interceptor or Explorer Sport trans oil cooler? On the SHO PP, it is behind the lower grille opening and looks like one of those typical external aux trans coolers.

There should be small metal pipes goes from transmission to radiator and back to transmission.

The Explorer Sport / Police Interceptor aux trans cooler looks very different on the parts diagram. It bolts across somewhere and has extra hoses running to the thermostatic block valve. I'd love to see some TFT datalogs on the Explorer Sport / PI Utility to see how much better the aux cooler performs. Based on its size and design, I wouldn't think it does a whole lot.

Pretty sure the PTU cooler is standard on all PIU, Sport and Platinum. All 80 of our PIU’s have PTU coolers. All 3.7L. Never an option to not have it. My personal Sport and Platinum also have the liquid PTU coolers.

So how effective are the PTU coolers? From what I have heard, lots of Police Interceptor sedans and utility still have oil sludging issues. 16% better cooling or about 20F doesn't sound a whole lot.

well, honestly, I don’t think the cooler makes that much difference. 15’, 16’, 17’ have had an updated PTU, or a TSB to update it. We’ve had three 14’s fail, a 15’ and a 16’. All failed before 50k which is where we target service. All five were catastrophic, cracked case. I think the cooler is an attempt to offset the heat from increased rear bias in the PIU’s and Sport /Platinum. 2017 was supposed to be an even better updated PTU, and the one I have with about 20k looks good. My own will get changed at 30k just to see.

The thermal picture that Ford posted for the PTU cooler vs non-cooled showed the biggest drop in temperature was at the cooler (where the coolant hoses come in). Peak temp on non-cooled was 284F and 266F on the cooled unit. But this was the 2013 SHO.

I heard rumors that uneven tire pressure or tire wear was the reason for advanced PTU failures. Whether it was front/rear delta or side to side delta wasn't explained to me.

I’m sure uneven tire pressure/wear could be a factor if the difference is enough. At the end of the day, it’s not the most robust AWD system anyway. So, if I’m consistently towing with my Explorer, I would want the liquid cooled PTU to gain whatever extra benefit it provides.

If you dropped the fluid 20 degrees, you’d probably double it’s life.

Some background:

I have a 2016 XLT , 3.5 engine with 4WD/AWD
It came without the towing package and, looking at retro-fitting the factory one, i spent quite some time researching the subject
Numerous post and threads on this forum warn that you can only get a 2000lbs tow rating instead of the 5000lbs if the package was not installed by the factory
Obviously, I you could get ALL the parts included in the towing package, this warning make no sense whatsoever ( I m not talking liability but rather mechanical and physical performances)
The BIG issue raised is that the transmission used on the towing package is not the same on non 3,5 turbo trucks
Basically the 6F55 is used instead of the 6F50
I read some comments that the highest rated 6F55 is used because the extra load created by towing,,,, that is 100% BS and completely backward
Transmission are rated by the amount of torque and horsepower FROM the engine that they can handle
An engine putting out 300lbs is putting out 300lbs, REGARDLESS of the load towed, being nothing, 2000lbs or 5000lbs
There is no different part # on the tranny (6F50) used by my truck if equipped with towing package or not
Part # is DA8Z-7000-D
And don't tell me this non-sense that you can have different parts with the same part #
Also, the radiator used on my truck is exactly the same with or without the oil cooler/towing package
Part #FB5Z-80005-A.
As a matter of fact, that part translate to a Motorcraft part # (RAD119) that specifically state that is is also for the oil cooler option

Anyhow, as long that you use all the factory parts, the end result is no different that what the factory did
obviously, the above only apply to my truck since i have not researched other years/models
LUC,

Thank You.....you cut through the BS with a laser!!! Here is some fun trivia what can tow more 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive

Its 2 wheel drive!! CGVW That's the ticket four wheel drives weigh more the Max is lowered..
Hence, a third row seat adds weight not its location.

RIGHT ON

That's one reason I mention "legally tow".

Peter

LUC,

Thank You.....you cut through the BS with a laser!!! Here is some fun trivia what can tow more 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive

Its 2 wheel drive!! CGVW That's the ticket four wheel drives weigh more the Max is lowered..
Hence, a third row seat adds weight not its location.

RIGHT ON
There are situations where AWD will be able to tow more weight than front wheel drive.

Just because a vehicle is 2wd doesn’t mean it can tow more. The 4wd version could be spung differently, or have a different axle ratio making it able to tow more than its 2wd model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m sure uneven tire pressure/wear could be a factor if the difference is enough. At the end of the day, it’s not the most robust AWD system anyway. So, if I’m consistently towing with my Explorer, I would want the liquid cooled PTU to gain whatever extra benefit it provides.

Yes but the cooled PTUs are failing as well. It's a design flaw in the PTU system. Ford was trying band aid fixes all those years. They made at least 3 engineering changes to the idler gears, last one I know of was in June 2016 where it prevents them from walking into the case which can heat up the fluid. I think they played with different thrust washers and gear designs in the several running changes they made.

I have heard from 2018 and 2019 owners that when they went to change their PTU oil the first time that it looked rather new at 30k miles. I had this issue with a Detroit TrueTrac differential on my Crown Vic (the older TrueTrac design from before they went to extra pinions) where it would walk into the case and break the case bolts as it rubs/grinds into the case.

On my 2017 Fusion Sport, the PTU is a different model/design entirely from the Explorer/Edge/MKX/MKS/etc... design. The PTU cooler is also a different design. I can log the PTU fluid temps and rarely does it even get close to the trans fluid temperature. With aggressive driving in the summer heat, the most I got my PTU fluid temp to was 180F - hardly enough to overheat/burn 75W-140 synthetic gear oil. In the cooler fall days, it doesn't even get above 150F. This is with the PTU right by the cats/exhaust and other hot objects, similar to the Explorer -except the Fusion has far less ground clearance and less clearance due to the tight packaging of the pickup truck 2.7 EcoBoost in a small sedan.

Back