Steering Shaft Upgrade - Flaming River | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Shaft Upgrade - Flaming River

I would assume so; have you checked out the flaming river site for an application chart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First time i saw this thread. I have the Flaming River shaft and joints on my Dodge Dart and love it. Also have the Flaming River tilt column.

Sure is gut wrenching having to cut the shaft to size. Measure a dozen times cut once :D

I would assume so; have you checked out the flaming river site for an application chart?

Yeah I did. They don't show an application for my truck. I guess I'll have to give them a call. I just figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had done this to a 2nd gen.

Just give them a call.

They will ask for the size/type of each shaft, and the distance between the two.

They will send you the correct ends, and a shaft. As Rick said, measure several times, cut once.

Do you think it was necessary to use two ujoints? Swear I saw over on rps they had the shaft turned around the other way where the larger piece of the slip bar fit directly over the steering wheel shaft.then the lower used a ujoint, prob 3/4-36-3/4dd.was I dreaming when I thought I seen this or does it look like it could even just use a one joint setup?:dunno:

Do you think it was necessary to use two ujoints? Swear I saw over on rps they had the shaft turned around the other way where the larger piece of the slip bar fit directly over the steering wheel shaft.then the lower used a ujoint, prob 3/4-36-3/4dd.was I dreaming when I thought I seen this or does it look like it could even just use a one joint setup?:dunno:

No you weren't dreaming. That's exactly how I did it. Here's the thread, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379997

Scott,

Did the through hole in the column have any effect on the new u joints set screw?

Scott,

Did the through hole in the column have any effect on the new u joints set screw?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Where is the through hole?

Hmm maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, Ill have to look at my truck tonight. I thought there was a hole through the column stub

Hmm maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, Ill have to look at my truck tonight. I thought there was a hole through the column stub

If you can, grab a picture. It's been a while since I had mine apart - hard to remember what it looked like!

Upper end of stock shaft. (Firewall side)

20180306_190914.jpg

Upper end of stock shaft. (Firewall side)

View attachment 156466

That is the part that I replaced.

The new shaft is 2 piece - one slides inside the other, allowing it to collapse in the event of an accident. The rag joint servers the same purpose.

However, my rag joint was 20 years old, and I was concerned it might fail unexpectedly.

Right, I'm just curious if the flaming river set screws misses the hole that was originally used for the original shaft. I guess I'm only 2 bolts away from finding out anyhow. :chug:

Right, I'm just curious if the flaming river set screws misses the hole that was originally used for the original shaft. I guess I'm only 2 bolts away from finding out anyhow. :chug:

Oh, I see what you are asking.

I don't remember. They must have, because I don't remember there being an issue.

Back