2018 Ford Explorer Roof Rack Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Roof Rack Removal

Blue Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I have a 2018 Explorer and so far on the roof rack is a cheap plastic insert into an 8 mm hex bolt. The hex bolt doesn't seem to unscrew or do anything when I try to turn it. My issue is that Ford put on a roof rack that is solid on the sides so that I can't tie anything to it. I put kayaks on the roof and since it is a solid side, that makes tie down very challenging. Any ideas or roof products that would help me stabilize two kayaks on the roof? I was hoping to remove the rack sides to see if it was a filler piece of plastic more for cosmetic look. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2018 Explorer and so far on the roof rack is a cheap plastic insert into an 8 mm hex bolt. The hex bolt doesn't seem to unscrew or do anything when I try to turn it. My issue is that Ford put on a roof rack that is solid on the sides so that I can't tie anything to it. I put kayaks on the roof and since it is a solid side, that makes tie down very challenging. Any ideas or roof products that would help me stabilize two kayaks on the roof? I was hoping to remove the rack sides to see if it was a filler piece of plastic more for cosmetic look. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are the tie downs in the package that came with the vehicle not sufficient? BTW, your profile shows "Spot" not Sport.;) If you have the moonroof, then the load limit is 45 lbs. 100 lbs without.

Peter

Really appreciate your note. Actually we are on day two with the vehicle and although I saw the bolts in the glove box, I had no clue what they were for. Now nearly finished with the owner's manual and with motivation from your note I have figured out how they are installed. That actually helped me understand how the roof rack is supposed to work. Cosmetic inside tie down which I can work with. I otherwise had no clue how you were supposed to tie anything to the roof strips. My goal for the roof is trying to set it up to carry two kayaks. Now I am trying to find crossbars that would work best. The standard Ford design versus other options.

Thanks, did as you suggested, eBay purchase now awaiting delivery and will install next week. The concept of removing the roof rack is a definite don't get involved with that issue unless you want some big challenges

Glad to help!

Back