Should I buy an Explorer Sport? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an Explorer Sport?

WBM95: Walk away...172k is a TON of miles. Not really sure why you would consider a 5 year old car with 172k miles, but that's crazy high (even with "maintenance" records). Sounds like the guy who owned this Explorer before you got this car to BEAT on it as a daily, which he did. Same reason I got my Explorer. Basically, I was tired of driving my other cars down the ground for work. Bottom line, I'll feel bad for the person who owns my Explorer when I'm done with the lease.

To the OP: Don't compare the Explorer to the Macan. Even the S will feel more nimble than the Explorer. They are just fun cars to drive period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tend to agree that you may be in for more than you've bargained for. Spark plugs should have been changed at 100k miles. With 172k miles on it you are likely going to be replacing quite a few 'wear' items. No matter how well the previous owner looked after it, normal wear and tear will take its course. Any maintenance notes on any suspension part replacements? Keep in mind that you could easily be spending the $$ you saved, or more, in the purchase on repairs

Peter

Walk away. It's not even a question.

there is another way to look at things, if you barely drive a few thousand miles a year which is well below norm and you're a gambler might as well roll the dice if you have to have it. Who knows what might happen if you don't drive it very gently thougho_O

Its is all BS. Macan or Cayenne. If you want to run your truck at the top speed then get a few years old BMW egine, X5. 5.0. With a little tune, GRHAUS, Meisterschaft GTC exaust. This will just

There is not too much of a price comparison between XP sport 16 and X5, 5.0. That is the real German rocket. That will blow our your Macans or Cayenne's to pieces. With no mods, or they probably have some crazy mods too but with Meisterschaft GTC exaust. This is from like 2014, but wow if you could get this for a used 2014 X5 2014 plus,

Ford is behind this tech for another 10 years or so, the flaks on the exaust open and close manually. The 5.0 sound is ridiculous, a true 5.0 engine.

Actually not "a true 5.0", the X5 50i is a 4.4L V8, but it IS a true monster to drive. I had a chipped '15 50i with MPPK and it was an absolute BLAST to drive. Unfortunately, my MPG at that point was worse than my 6.2L Sierra.

A new 2017 Sport has a starting MSRP of $45,355. Listed HP is 365 @ 5500 rpm, 350 lb-ft of torque @ 3500 rpm using 93 octane fuel. No idea what the top speed is and I don't believe I've seen it posted in this forum either. Also not sure if it restricted in any way.
My Platinum has the same engine and I am very happy with it although I'm not the hard/fast driving type by any means.

Peter

I paid $38,500 for a brand-new 17 Explorer Sport last year. Deals are out there, in some areas.

Actually not "a true 5.0", the X5 50i is a 4.4L V8, but it IS a true monster to drive. I had a chipped '15 50i with MPPK and it was an absolute BLAST to drive. Unfortunately, my MPG at that point was worse than my 6.2L Sierra.

I went by a model so I called it 5.0, just like it says on the truck. I know that the engine is 4.4L V8. Hope your 17 X5 35D is doing alright. I know it has a crazy amount of torque from the start up :))

I paid $38,500 for a brand-new 17 Explorer Sport last year. Deals are out there, in some areas.
Hi there,
Is the price listed before, or after TTL(tax etc...)?

In addition to the engines internal water pump problem they also have been reported as have issues with the PTU failure and leaking. Its a unit that is that is attached to the transverse engine and drive the back wheels. Other then that it is a very nice crossover.

I went by a model so I called it 5.0, just like it says on the truck. I know that the engine is 4.4L V8. Hope your 17 X5 35D is doing alright. I know it has a crazy amount of torque from the start up :))

I used to do it all the time too! The 35d is AWESOME! So much torgue, especially after I chipped it. I actually use it to tow my boat more than I use the Sierra.

Let's stay on topic. Several posts here have nothing to do with the subject title.

Peter

let me ask you guys a question, if the op were asking the question about buying a 2010 explorer with the 4.0 engine would you be telling the guy to run from it? I am asking this question because it seems to me that Ford screwed up a good reliable vehicle with the 2011 and newer explorers. I would not be afraid to buy a 4.0 with that kind of mileage but this new 3.5???? I don't know?
on a good note, I am happy to read a post about one of these making it to 172,000 miles, if I can get that out of mine without major issues I will be happy. This vehicle must be in nice shape explorerjosh, seems you really want to buy it. I say if you can get it cheap enough to pay for say a transmission replacement, and still be a good value go for it. You can always send in an oil sample on the engine and see what comes back? I have decided to sample my new explorer every oil change because of all the problems I with the water pump.

OP was asking about getting a 16-17, which is a very different question. Everyone is going to be different -- price range, newness, driving habits, etc. All that needs to be considered.

I'm super happy having bought my 17 Sport new and it's been problem free for 1.5 years now. But I also got a 10 year, 120,000km warranty with mine so I won't have to worry about any catastrophic failures which certainly happens on many car brands. And yeah, that's low miles, but I have a short commute with the occasional road trip. I'll probably sell mine after 7-8 years well before the warranty goes, which will help with any resale because it'll be transferable to the new owner.

Historically I bought used cars to save some money, but pulled the trigger new this time because tech is at an awkward transition -- nav and safety systems even just a couple years ago were quite dated.

I looked at the weight to power ratios and acceleration data for the N/A 3.5 Explorer and the Explorer Sport, and compared it with the 2018 F-150 trucks because they are actually similar... Hear me out.

2018 F-150 4x2 3.3L (the engine that is supposed to go into the 2020 Explorer base model) does 0-60 in about 7.6 seconds and the 1/4 in 15.9-16 seconds, this is basically the old Crown Vic (4.6L 2V) acceleration. Looking at the Explorer 3.5L, it's about the same. Not slow, but not fast.

2018 F-150 4x4 2.7L EcoBoost is slightly faster but nothing extraordinary. The 2018 F-150 4x4 5.0L V8 seems to be about 1.2-1.3 seconds faster than the 3.3L F-150, which is about the same as the stock Explorer Sport. We're looking at 6+ seconds 0-60 and 1/4 in mid 14s, again this is stock.

So for the extra $10k to get the Explorer Sport over the base, you shave 1.2-1.3 seconds off your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times but have the option of tuning it. Note that the stock Garrett GT1549 turbos are puny and are out of efficiency very quickly over stock boost. The compressor maps show that it starts choking at 17 psi and flows 48-53 lb/min max, but that's already at 55% efficiency so the stock intercooler is getting massive heat soak. I managed to get my SHO to run 12.4 @ 110.9 mph with worn out tires, but 12.1-12.2 is totally reachable on the SHO, which is 4300 lb. I'd say high 12s are attainable for the XSport because it is the same tuning strategy/engine/transmission.

But if I had to do it again, I'd go with the 2018 F-150 5.0 V8 because that is Port and Direct injected. Slap on a Roush blower for 700+ hp, and it sounds badass while being very fast.

I don't think there are very many Explorer buyers concerned about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. They are buying an SUV, not a sports car. Also, you can't assume that the current engines in the F-150 will have the same HP when used in the 2020 Explorer. Quite often the same size engine will be modified to produce different HP and torque numbers when installed in a different vehicle. Also, I'm not sure what this has to do with OP's question about possible getting a 2016 or 2017 Sport.

Peter

Back