Rust! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust!

I have never seen any automakers website/forum like this where people come to say Hay this is the best x.. car truck SUV I have ever had thanks. You will mostly find people that have had a problem want to modify their car truck SUV. Every auto maker has it's issues when you mass produce 100's of thousands of vehicles a year there are always a few with them. Sit back relax and enjoy your new ride, I have had several Ford Explores over the years and each one went well over 200 thousand miles.
Ive had three before this one, that's why I bought another, this is a completely different animal than the previous generations tho. The older generations as you know were basically a ranger truck. this thing is ??? I don't even know what o compare it to? transverse mounted engine, some kind of pto/transfer case thing, twin turbos, dual exhaust, sports car/crossover vehicle.... sorry, im ocd and slightly paranoid skitsofranic. lol. Im sure it will be fine vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its actually a pretty common problem with ford explorers, I bought a 2011 when they came out only to have the hood rust corrode after 2years, they repainted it and it looked prefect. I did trade it in on a 2015 limited after 4 years and yes the front hood was all bubbled again. Not my problem and now have a 3 year old limited with the same problem but out of warranty. I sure wish that was a fixable problem Ford has but apparently its not worth addressing because now I see that the 2017 have the same problem but will be some how covered by Ford. Such a great SUV I wish there was a remedy.

............. I sure wish that was a fixable problem Ford has but apparently its not worth addressing because now I see that the 2017 have the same problem but will be some how covered by Ford.
Not a remedy but beginning with the 2016 Explorer, the warranty coverage on aluminum parts/panels that corrode are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Just curious if this was repaired and how it went. My 17 xlt has 27k miles on it, is always parked indoors, and is generally washed, waxed, and babied. Admittedly never waxed the backside of the doors. I have almost identical rust to the OP.

We have a 17 explorer turbo at work, has 120k miles on it, run constantly in salt, rarely washed. It doesn't have door rust.

It seems like some but not all of these cars are defective in that area.

I otherwise really enjoy the car, but it's a concerning issue at the age and mileage.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Just curious if this was repaired and how it went. My 17 xlt has 27k miles on it, is always parked indoors, and is generally washed, waxed, and babied. Admittedly never waxed the backside of the doors. I have almost identical rust to the OP.

We have a 17 explorer turbo at work, has 120k miles on it, run constantly in salt, rarely washed. It doesn't have door rust.

It seems like some but not all of these cars are defective in that area.

I otherwise really enjoy the car, but it's a concerning issue at the age and mileage.
Wire wheel, Por15 and touchup paint. Top with clearcoat and use ceramic wax on it couple times a year.

Biggest disappointment in Ford for me has been the early corrosion and or rust.

^^ definitely a standup guy.. pass the problem on to someone else rather then fix it. :banghead:
It is easy to tell someone else to be unrealistically moral. If you are old enough I bet you have knowingly sold a vehicle with rust on it somewhere.

Hood and tailgate looks fine. No issues on the underbody either. Fluid film is a lanolin grease-oil which has gained a popularity over its 100 year history
I agree. Fluid Film will work its way into the pockets after a few applications and stop the rust from advancing. It should last a while since these areas are not exposed like undercarriage components.

THAT SUCKS!!!! Man you spend $50,000 on a new vehicle and this is what you get. These forums have me seriously regretting my purchase. I think had I found this website in January I would have bought a Toyota 4Runner.
Rust, Water pumps taking out engines, the list goes on and on. This place is worse than WebMD. lol.
I was really hoping to take care of my new Explorer and have it at least ten years, maybe more........
The grass is always greener on the other side. Go to a Toyota forum and you will see the same as here. The fact is people come to forums like this mostly to solve problems with their vehicles. This condenses a lot of complaints and problems to make it seem a vehicle is garbage when in reality it is not.

It is easy to tell someone else to be unrealistically moral. If you are old enough I bet you have knowingly sold a vehicle with rust on it somewhere.

I am in my 40s and I have never sold a thing that I didn't disclose to the buyer that was wrong. I would never want to do someone dirty therefore I treat every sale as the way I'd want it to be of I was the buyer.

The only time I sold something that shocked me was a 2004 snowmobile with only 1,800 miles. Guy drove 2 hours to come get it (looked showroom condition) and when we moved it (tilted the trailer), gas started pouring out underneath. I wasn't aware a rubber o ring rotted causing the leak and I felt like the biggest Ahole despite me not knowing about it, that it happened.

Maybe there are not many out there like me but I am a straight shooter and always honest when it comes to the stuff I sell.

I'm with you.

I am in my 40s and I have never sold a thing that I didn't disclose to the buyer that was wrong. I would never want to do someone dirty therefore I treat every sale as the way I'd want it to be of I was the buyer.

The only time I sold something that shocked me was a 2004 snowmobile with only 1,800 miles. Guy drove 2 hours to come get it (looked showroom condition) and when we moved it (tilted the trailer), gas started pouring out underneath. I wasn't aware a rubber o ring rotted causing the leak and I felt like the biggest Ahole despite me not knowing about it, that it happened.

Maybe there are not many out there like me but I am a straight shooter and always honest when it comes to the stuff I sell.
I think known major hidden issues should be pointed out. Things that are in plain sight and easy to inspect like rusting on exterior surfaces are not the responsibility of the buyer to point out. Just price the item the way you see its true value and you have met your responsibility, IMO.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will take it to bare metal and repaint. Also, rechecked the work car, rusted quite a bit worse than mine (but 4x the miles).

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will take it to bare metal and repaint. Also, rechecked the work car, rusted quite a bit worse than mine (but 4x the miles).
Ford doesn't put seam sealer on the creases on the door skins. No rust on rear gate in the middle where they did put seam sealer on.

Yes other brands rust but its a chronic problem with every Ford that I've had over the years.....

sorry if I missed it, but I was wondering what environment the car has been used. if it has been exposed to road salt or seaside salt air?

It’s used in road salt area.

I had a problem like this on my 07 Expedition hood and rear tailgate skin. In that case it was a surface prep issue between the aluminum skin and steel frame. The surface got a white powdery corrosion that bubbled the paint. The underlying metal seemed fine even after 12 years and 200k+ miles.

I hadn't thought about it before, but are the door skins steel or aluminum on the Explorers? I know the tailgate is steel but never really thought about the door skins.

Judging by the rust in the pics I’d say steel. Aluminum would corrode, but not rust.

I had a problem like this on my 07 Expedition hood and rear tailgate skin. In that case it was a surface prep issue between the aluminum skin and steel frame. The surface got a white powdery corrosion that bubbled the paint. The underlying metal seemed fine even after 12 years and 200k+ miles.

I hadn't thought about it before, but are the door skins steel or aluminum on the Explorers? I know the tailgate is steel but never really thought about the door skins.
Only the hood is aluminum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, Ford paid for skins for both read doors. Ex was about 18 months old at the time. Spring cleaning this weekend: rust is back.

1620045671693.jpeg

Back