• Register Today It's free!

Inline Filter Placement/HVAC??

IsaacJB97

Reaction score
City, State
Wylie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer xlt 5.0
I’m about to install a new compressor, accumulator, condenser, tube and definitely want to install an in-line filter so I don’t just throw $500 and 8 hours in the garbage.

Where do I install the filter? If I’m standing in front of the vehicle looking at the system it goes from right to left: Compressor>Condenser>Accumulator>Evap>Compressor, correct? So do I install Post-Evap Pre Compressor? That’s kinda what makes the most sense to me. Or would I install Post Compressor Pre Condenser??

You need to install the in-line filter somewhere in the suction line before the compressor (as close to the compressor as possible would be best). It needs to go pre-compressor. You also need to flush the A/C system to get any loose crap out and add the correct A/C oil to the compressor before charging the system

Commonly, the available in-line filters are sized to fit the liquid high pressure line between the condenser and orifice tube.

Just before the orifice tube is likely the best place.

But... with a new condenser, I think just taking the time to flush out the hose assemblies is all that is needed.

While prone to clogging, the orifice tube has screens at both ends to keep debris from getting into the evaporator and there is a dessicant filter in the accumulator to catch anything that does get past the orifice tube.

The hoses and condenser are where any debris from a failed compressor will hide, a new condenser solves most of that issue and flushing the hoses gets the rest.

Don't think it will matter. If your unlucky to get black death your going to have to take it all out & repair it anyway.

Back