• Register Today It's free!

wheel hub assembly

SASHER1982

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXPLORER XLS
Good morning all. I have to replace a driver side hub bearing im going to replace the whole assembly. My question comes to wondering if the bearing still has to be preloaded any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bearings will be preloaded since it is a complete hub assembly. Make sure you torque it to the correct spec.

I'd buy a (Timken or a Moog) both good quality, the Motorcraft will cost you double.

You'll need to torque the axle nut and the 3 bolts that hold the hub bearing assembly to the steering knuckle. You'll need to know the correct torque for both. The axle nut is around 200 foot pounds and the retaining bolts are probably around 75 foot pounds, but look them up to be sure.

The hub bolt torque is 74-96 lb/ft and the axle nut is 157-213 lb/ft.

BTW - Unless you've changed the other hub assembly recently, I'd do both sides. If ones worn out, the other is not far behind. Timken is a good choice.

I agree on choosing Timken bearings. The Moog hubs I bought last year I think mentioned those bearings, the price was around $60 or so I think, from Amazon or Rock Auto.

Take your time finding the right 15mm socket to remove the hub bolts, and a good long ratchet or breaker bar. Those are very tight and close to the CV boots. You don't have a lot of range to turn the socket on them. Spray the bolts with a penetrant first, and go slow loosening them. The hub bolt you need to loosen before lifting the tire off of the ground, lift up on the breaker bar. The spindle/axle nut is high, around 225lbft, just very tight. Inspect the nut carefully, if the threads look stripped, it's possible to buy a new nut. Some cheap axle brands come with low end nuts, or even different thread sizes.

Back