The Value of the Ford ESP Extended Warranty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Value of the Ford ESP Extended Warranty

Lexingtonian

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Exp Sport w/401a
I'm within a couple thousand miles of 36K and it's time to make a decision. I plan on keeping my XSport beyond 150,000 miles if it'll let me. I'm very curious who of you that have paid for the ESP Warranty have gotten the full value from it and who hasn't. I'm one to not buy more insurance that I need but doing the math it appears that one could fairly quickly recoup the cost. What I don't know is, those of you with long term experience with the 5th generation explorer, what your repair experience has been like over it's life span. I'd love to hear from folks with more than 50-75k on their 5th gen ecoboosts as well.

Thanks in advance all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my Ex used, and that easily doubled the cost of the ESP. I've used it several times, and likely will need it further, so I expect it will pay for itself long term.

I have had extended warranties on all 3 previous leased Highlanders, my 2011 leased Explorer and currently on my leased 2017 Explorer. The only time I used the warranty was on one of the Highlanders to replace a tire. So going by that, it definitely was not worth the cost to get an extended warranty. Will I get one on the next vehicle? If the OEM warranty does not cover at least 4 years, very likely the answer might be yes. The MKT factory warranty was 4 years which is the most I will take a lease out for. Will it pay for itself, probably not.

Peter

Right now, both of our vehicles (the Explorer and a 2017 Escape) do not have ESP coverage, but that was really a price shifting concern, and I have every intention of getting at least extended powertrain coverage before the B2B warranty expires. Why?

Well, my last car, a 2012 Ford Fusion SE, ended up with ESP as compensation after it’s 6F35 needed a full rebuild at 10k miles. I ended up using the extended B2B they gave me several times, mostly due to small issues like the blower motor. The biggest benefit was that it got me rental car coverage, which I ended up needing several more times as they sorted out the transmission shift programming over the next two years or so, something the factory warranty didn’t provide. Since the car spent a lot of time being messed with at Ford, having a rental was a lifesaver. I’m actually fairly certain my customer service person at Ford arranged the warranty mostly for that coverage, after the Fusion spent 28 days at the selling dealer getting rebuilt. Two days short of that state’s lemon law, actually. That was an expensive rental.

With respect to the Explorer, because it’s got an internal water pump, I bought the vehicle with the expectation I’d get the ESP, just for peace of mind. The only reason I didn’t get it from the dealer was because they wanted entirely too much for it.

I'm in the exact same boat at 32K miles. I think I'm going to go with Flood Ford (not with the TN friend of this site cause I'm also in TN and he explained to me that I would pay tax on it) and do a 75K or 100K 8ish year Platinum plan and a higher deductible of $200-$300. This plan is in the $1300 range. That way the plan is cheaper overall, but I'm covered for any catastrophes. My stock trans failed at 10K miles as well (replaced under original warranty), so this makes me a bit more apt to get the extended protection too. Other good news is that the ESP is transferable or can be cancelled, so if I sell it, I can recoup some of the investment.

PS: I've also convinced myself that I'm going to have some sort of PTU failure, even though it seems to be rarer on the 2016 and up MYs. One more reason to do the ESP.

I'm leaning this way..
I'm way more concerned about the Water Pump issue in the Engine and PTU than I am about some electronic component or a light. I'm a better than average shade-tree mechanic, completely comfortable (and set up for) brakes/rotors/alternators/belts/spark plugs etc. I'm likely looking at getting the Basecare or Extracare and saving the nearly $1000-$1500 bucks on the premium. Frankly, powertrain would probably cover the areas of my deepest concern but base/extra are only a few bucks more. I fully expect to do 150K miles on this vehicle so want to try to get in that 8yr/150K range.

I'm leaning this way..
I'm way more concerned about the Water Pump issue in the Engine and PTU than I am about some electronic component or a light. I'm a better than average shade-tree mechanic, completely comfortable (and set up for) brakes/rotors/alternators/belts/spark plugs etc. I'm likely looking at getting the Basecare or Extracare and saving the nearly $1000-$1500 bucks on the premium. Frankly, powertrain would probably cover the areas of my deepest concern but base/extra are only a few bucks more. I fully expect to do 150K miles on this vehicle so want to try to get in that 8yr/150K range.

Not sure if all the electronics are covered on base or extra, but something to keep in mind. heated seats and all of the SYNC stuff is $$$, I'd guess.

Seriously considering the SYNC3 upgrade too. Do you know if it works with the new Ford PASS App with the vehicle starting through the app, etc?
Ya know, that's one question I have. I *do* know that the app works to start the car but I dont think it'll work with the Pass App just because one has a Sync 3 Unit. Ford knows what VIN's have what so I believe they are turning that off/on based on that. Been considering the Cellular Start upgrade for a while.

Back