2017 MY Running Boards | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 MY Running Boards

I just ordered the facrtory running boards for our 2017 xlt and I would like to know if I can put factory splash guards with the factory running boards, at least up front, i know back ones aren't an issue.

Thanks.
Your thread was moved to this existing one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature. There are posts that confirm the front and rear splash guards will fit. See post 57 for a link to more photos. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello! I have running boards on my ‘12 Explorer. And plan to lower with H&R Springs this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has had theirs lowered with the Boards on. Lol, seems dumb but just curious if anyone has had any problems scraping and hitting speed bumps etc with the boards & lowered. Thanks!

Hello! I have running boards on my ‘12 Explorer. And plan to lower with H&R Springs this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has had theirs lowered with the Boards on. Lol, seems dumb but just curious if anyone has had any problems scraping and hitting speed bumps etc with the boards & lowered. Thanks!

I think you may have asked this on another forums? Here's one that belongs to Sergio Arias. His Sport is lowered with H&R Springs and he's running 22" wheels. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

19875211_10211259590619868_6773831873408380486_n.jpg

Just out of curiosity, with the Explorer lowered so much, what on Earth does one need Running Boards for? If you read the older posts on here (like 12-18 months ago or so) some people, including myself, were asking about adding Running Boards to 2016 and older years because the door threshold was just a bit high for shorter people, children, people with disabilities, etc. It started a discussion even then, with a normal (non-lowered) Explorer and a number of people didn't think the Gen5 needed them at all while others did. In this situation, with the door threshold mere inches off the ground from lowering, one would definitely NOT need Running Boards!! I've seen lots of vehicles (non-Explorers) lowered so far that the bottom of the car is barely off the ground (my nephew has done this with Hondas - he's in a "car modification club" (for lack of a better name), they're always trying to make their cars cool, supercharged, like race cars! Anyway, whenever I see these cars SO low to the ground, I have always wondered how they don't bottom out going over speed bumps, etc.

I lowered my explorer. I needed the boards coz I have small children who like to hop in the car on their own. Also take my grandmother out on the weekends which she has a hard time getting in the Explorer. To each their own. Thanks

I have a 2018 XLT and was curious about the HB5Z-16450-AB OEM running boards. Does anyone have the PDF scan for the installation instructions? Any pics of the loose components?

I'm curious how hard it is to install, and what type of materials are used for it. I have a friend whose 2008 Explorer running boards had the plastic material crack (the part where you step on). I've also seen running boards rusted very badly on Jeep Wranglers.

How are the fasteners and running boards constructed for the 5th gen Explorers? Michigan has the most road salt usage on the street during the winter, and I don't want running boards if they corrode very easily or allow for more corrosion (trapping water or something on the pinch welds).

I also wanted to mention I am 6'3" and do not have issues climbing into the Explorer. It's egressing that is only a tad more difficult. When I swing my leg out, I can't reach the ground even if I tippy toe. So I basically have to kind of hop out as I slide out of my seat. Ingress has never been a problem for me, whether it is getting into a Corvette, Miata, Cobalt, Mustang, F-150, HMMWV, M-ATV, etc... The running boards on the Explorer would make it slightly easier.

I don't think the boards would allow for door protection. They sit flush with the sidewalls, possibly to work with the aero curtain system and not make aerodynamics even worse. So parked next to my Cobalt SS (one of the lowest normal people cars you will find), the Cobalt's door will just open up over the running board. If it was a Lotus, Corvette, Viper, or Miata, those doors might contact the boards but those owners would probably be more concerned about their cars... :)

I have a 2018 XLT and was curious about the HB5Z-16450-AB OEM running boards. Does anyone have the PDF scan for the installation instructions? Any pics of the loose components?

I'm curious how hard it is to install, and what type of materials are used for it. I have a friend whose 2008 Explorer running boards had the plastic material crack (the part where you step on). I've also seen running boards rusted very badly on Jeep Wranglers.

How are the fasteners and running boards constructed for the 5th gen Explorers? Michigan has the most road salt usage on the street during the winter, and I don't want running boards if they corrode very easily or allow for more corrosion (trapping water or something on the pinch welds).

I also wanted to mention I am 6'3" and do not have issues climbing into the Explorer. It's egressing that is only a tad more difficult. When I swing my leg out, I can't reach the ground even if I tippy toe. So I basically have to kind of hop out as I slide out of my seat. Ingress has never been a problem for me, whether it is getting into a Corvette, Miata, Cobalt, Mustang, F-150, HMMWV, M-ATV, etc... The running boards on the Explorer would make it slightly easier.
As far as I know there are no instructions on this site but perhaps you can contact the member of the following post who had planned to do just that; 2017 MY Running Boards
There are also pictures of them mounted on an Explorer; 2017 MY Running Boards

Peter

Thanks, but I looked at those pictures already and they don't answer my questions. It seems like there is some type of structure clad by the plastic. If salt water gets inside that enclosure, it would just cause the internal structure to rust out. I also didn't see photographs of how the boards attach to the unibody. I bet those would rust out as well and might cause the unibody to rust faster?? Just curious as they are almost $500 and if they aren't useful other than getting pants dirty, then I'll pass. But corrosion is a serious question because of Michigan winters.

Thanks, but I looked at those pictures already and they don't answer my questions. It seems like there is some type of structure clad by the plastic. If salt water gets inside that enclosure, it would just cause the internal structure to rust out. I also didn't see photographs of how the boards attach to the unibody. I bet those would rust out as well and might cause the unibody to rust faster?? Just curious as they are almost $500 and if they aren't useful other than getting pants dirty, then I'll pass. But corrosion is a serious question because of Michigan winters.
The member that installed them (first linked post) could possible provide you some of the info plus the instructions and that might give you a better understanding of te whole process.

Peter

I know I already sent these to you in a private message but perhaps someone else could use them:

HB5Z-16450-AB Parts List and Install Instructions (2011-current):

Attachments

• Ford Running Boards Install.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 309

I know I already sent these to you in a private message but perhaps someone else could use them:

HB5Z-16450-AB Parts List and Install Instructions (2011-current):
Oh, by the way, I bought my running boards from TASCA Parts Center in RI, they were the cheapest I could find at the time (11-23-16), $401.94 + $34.91 S&H to AZ. Right now at TASCA they are $381.15 plus S&H. I don't know what Ford is charging nowadays but they wanted $500+ (AND S&H) at the time I got mine.

Oh, by the way, I bought my running boards from TASCA Parts Center in RI, they were the cheapest I could find at the time (11-23-16), $401.94 + $34.91 S&H to AZ. Right now at TASCA they are $381.15 plus S&H. I don't know what Ford is charging nowadays but they wanted $500+ (AND S&H) at the time I got mine.
That's the same price ($381.15) as listed on AutoNation; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
$495 from Ford; Running Boards - Molded, Carbon Black | FordUS

Peter

Back