• Register Today It's free!

Seeking Ball Joint Advice

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
Hi Guys,

176k 2003 4.6 Limited 5r55s

It's been a while since I've posted. Last time I was here the transmission had shat itself. Since the rebuild we've been doing well for the most part, but I am getting some steering and suspension indications that something is getting ready to go.

Symptoms:

1. at low speed, typically turning sharply as in a 3-point turn, I will get a click click click from what feels like the front drivers side wheel.

2. at moderate speeds, 30-50mph, typically while turning, or on water/ ice/ snow, I will get a very quick swerve in the steering wheel from what again feels like the same wheel.

3. I sometimes get a floaty feeling from the front end, or like I could start fishtailing if I got on the gas or turned a little harder.

4. Once while going uphill in the snow I spun out, ending in the other lane facing the other way. I believe the loss of control was initiated by a bump in the front drivers wheel while turning and accelerating uphill, on top of the several inches of fresh snow on the road. We live in snow country so typically I don't just lose the car like that.

5. Before the above symptoms, for a long time (6k miles) I could feel a pronounced vibration in the steering wheel around 75-80mph. I haven't been on the highway at that speed in a while though.

Please keep in mind, I am not driving dangerously, I'm speaking about turns and acceleration that would be considered normal for the given road.

I am fairly sure that the culprit is my lower ball joint on that front drivers side wheel, though I'm open to suggestions.

I don't currently have a jack or stands, so I can't give the wheel any real inspection. I'm going from what I feel while driving and what I can see from under the vehicle with the wheel turned in/out.

Questions.

1. If I'm doing the lower ball joints, should I also do the uppers? No clue if/ when any of them were done.
2. I assume it's preferred to do both sides at the same time. Yes?
3. Should I also do the rear wheels?
4. Any special tools needed? I don't have a compressor.
5. Any other parts I should inspect/ replace? Front tie rods are recent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figure out if that is really wrong before you start throwing parts and money at it,, i would spend a few dollars having a shop look at it first if you don't know how to or cannot,,
could be a bad tie rod, or maybe bad cv joint too,, even a bad tire can cause problems

i would look at the sway bar end links first,A ball joint may make a little thump turning slow and may rattle a bit over bumps, don't thing it would cause all these issues..Not to say the ball joint is not bad, just may be more then just that..

And what is this I'm seeing about "oversized ball joints"? rockauto has some options to fit an oversized con
i would look at the sway bar end links first,A ball joint may make a little thump turning slow and may rattle a bit over bumps, don't thing it would cause all these issues..Not to say the ball joint is not bad, just may be more then just that..
True, it does feel a bit like sway bar links too. But again, I'm not great at diagnosing suspension issues.

I will say that I did my front sway bar links about 6k miles ago, and it made a major improvement to the vehicles handling. I don't know if/ when the back ones were done. I was told by a less than trustworthy shop that they'd done them at 155k .

So maybe it's a combo of ball joints up front and sway bar links in the rear. Anyway I need to get myself a new jack, or someone to throw it on a lift.

My experience with ball joints is they are more of a lateral failure. They will click more when hitting a large bump, or if you push down on the hood, they will click when the the suspension decompresses. Your sway bar link bushings are probably gone again. Mine are a semi annual replacement. Just turn the wheel to the side and have a look in from the back, you should be able to see the bushings.

The "oversize" ones are used if the socket in the control arm is worn. You won't really know that until you get it apart.

Figure out if that is really wrong before you start throwing parts and money at it,, i would spend a few dollars having a shop look at it first if you don't know how to or cannot,,
could be a bad tie rod, or maybe bad cv joint too,, even a bad tire can cause problems
+1
If you want to diagnose front lower ball joints on this truck, you need to jack up one side/place jack stand so that the weight is resting on the lower control arm, with the wheel off the ground (you don't need to take the wheel off). Then take a long pry bar (or even 2X4) and place one end under the wheel, and lift up. There should be virtually no play in the lower ball joint. if there is visible vertical movement or clunking, then the lower ball joint is likely bad.

The upper ball joints can go bad, but take a lot less abuse on this suspension. My understanding is that they just serve as a pivot point for the steering knuckle; they don't bear the weight of the truck. I just replaced both of mine, but only b/c the boots were shredded.

I think you problem sounds more like a bad tie rod than a bad sway bar link. Is this 4wd? Tires in good shape?

Back