Hi New Member question about 2013 explorer police utility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi New Member question about 2013 explorer police utility

NYC 1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 taurus
Hi, if anyone can help me out with this. im looking to purchase 2013 police explorer , car came from vermont state police and it was driven by a high ranking officer, not regular patrol. inside is very clean with carpeted floors and center console which is very hard to find.when i spoke to a fleet manager guy told me that they do take good care of their cars. what throws me off is that the car got 168,000 miles on it. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated > thanks
PS also looking to purchase a honeycomb grill for 2013-2014 explorer interceptor with twin turbo ecoboost. please if someone is selling it or have leads let me know > thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That's a lot of miles regardless whether it was looked after or not. There is a thread here on water pump issues that could lead to a ruined engine. Also I'd expect the timing chain could be close to needing replacement if not already done. Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Thanks Peter, what would you think the water pump replacement and timing chain costs come to? any idea?

Thanks Peter, what would you think the water pump replacement and timing chain costs come to? any idea?
I think there may be some prices shown in the thread I linked. At lease for the water pump. The pump itself is about $40 but you're looking at much, much more than that as they have to tear the front of the engine down. It's not the cost of the parts but the labour involved.

Peter

Seems like a lot of miles to me. Without maintenance records and idle hours, I think you're going to have a hard time verifying true usage. You can probably look at general wear and tear and compare it to pics of other patrol units for sale online.

I believe Kansas Highway Patrol outfits many/all of their vehicles with carpet and other amenities not typically ordered by other agencies.
Consoles can be found on ebay (PI and retail). I think cloth rear seats are harder to find than carpet or center console. Ecoboost PIUs are also pretty rare.

Hi, if anyone can help me out with this. im looking to purchase 2013 police explorer , car came from vermont state police and it was driven by a high ranking officer, not regular patrol. inside is very clean with carpeted floors and center console which is very hard to find.when i spoke to a fleet manager guy told me that they do take good care of their cars. what throws me off is that the car got 168,000 miles on it. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated > thanks
PS also looking to purchase a honeycomb grill for 2013-2014 explorer interceptor with twin turbo ecoboost. please if someone is selling it or have leads let me know > thanks again

It's a lot of miles, and I'd want to know primarily about transmission maintenance. That's always one of the biggest failure points I worry about. If you can get it checked out by a mechanic/dealer before purchase, to check for excessive wear, that would be ideal. Even with proper maintenance, they're going to wear out eventually, and at that mileage, I'd expect all sorts of things to need replacement, if they haven't already been done.

As far as the grill, you can find them on eBay.

Check dipstick. I'd be more worried about the water pump leakage. Even a PTU leak.

I have a grill .. sending you a pm.

Not sure I'd be too concerned about the water pump as there's only been a few instances with several hundred thousand Explorers sold. I picked up my 2013 for $5500 (govdeals auction) with 189k on the clock. First thing I did was put in the center console and had the tranny fluid flushed. Found a small crack in the plastic fuel tank and cost about $400 to replace with used. I've put another 12k miles on it going up to the mountains and generally driving it hard. It's been reliable to me but I would recommend a pre purchase inspection (probably from a trusted independent shop) before buying.

That's a decent number of miles, but if the fleet shop took care of all its preventative & corrective maintenance needs in a timely manner, I'd trust it more than a private party car with 90k miles.

Motor mounts might be a concern. Ford changed the design of them not too long ago because of failures. A lot of fleet shops in my area are upgrading the PIUs they plan to keep in service, others are just getting rid of the vehicles they aren't planning to keep a while longer without getting the service done, especially if they're already exhibiting signs of motor mount failure as mine was.

The motor mounts are fairly easy to replace. Just did both mounts and the torque arm on my wife's explorer. Her's went bad after towing a trailer for the first time, from IL to AL. The mounts had over 100K on them and the hydraulic mount on the right side started to pop when accelerating from a stop and coming to a complete stop. The right side mount design was changed from when our 2011 was made. The one I got from rock auto did not come with the frame side bracket, and also did not work with the bracket from the original mount. I wound up ordering one from a ford dealer on ebay. It cam with the mount and a new bracket. However, the hardest part was getting the the horizontal bolts on the transmission mount (left side). A ratcheting wrench would have come in really handy for those, but I didn't have one.

Back